Author Topic: Oil Leak Again  (Read 1244 times)

werm_works

• Empulse Guru
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jeffyyaki
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - vespa_1004
    • View Profile
    • Email
Oil Leak Again
« on: May 07, 2014, 03:06:01 PM »
I got back from my ride today to see my entire rear covered with oil.

I'm speechless and sad.... Should I trade in the Empulse or not

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Oil Leak Again
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 03:20:53 PM »
I was looking for an earlier post by you on this issue and couldn't find it.

Before trading it in, shouldn't you see if it's an easy fix? E.g. contact Brammo or your dealer?
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

werm_works

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
Oil Leak Again
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 06:09:40 PM »
 I did and there seems to be a debate about warranty and my credibility as a 13 year motorcycle mechanic. They said if they found out that I filled up the case more than a quart which I obviously know not too it won't be covered. This happened to be before that's why I hate dealing with Bartels and this BS

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 10:44:23 PM »
I had a slow leak for a while which we eventually traced to my countershaft seal, but that was on the order of a few drips on the garage floor every night.  I've never seen anything like what you're describing.

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 08:03:49 AM »
I did and there seems to be a debate about warranty and my credibility as a 13 year motorcycle mechanic. They said if they found out that I filled up the case more than a quart which I obviously know not too it won't be covered. This happened to be before that's why I hate dealing with Bartels and this BS

I had the oil leak, and they (the dealer) claimed I had too much oil in it, too. If you fill per the manual, you end up with too much oil. Only put one quart in regardless of the check level opening, and if in doubt, fill with the bike sitting on a center stand with the level check screw out. I was told there is little risk of damage with too little oil, but if there is too much oil and it's cold, the oil will work it's way out of the breather tube.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

werm_works

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
Oil Leak Again
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 12:13:14 PM »
I washed the bike drained the oil and got 700ml out, filled it again with a quart like the last time rode for about 11-15 miles with about a mile on the freeway got back and saw that it was the shifter shaft seal, I called scuderia to check if they had the seal in stock since I did remember someone has a seal go out and they got it replaced right away or something about lending a loaner till they got it fixed long story short they were very nice and prompt they said they will call me within a couple of minutes and physically check stock and price and they indeed called me within 10 minutes and said unfortunately they don't have it in stock but could order it for $4.50 but since I'll be gone by the time they get the seal they have me the seal size 12x22x5 and found a local honda dealership that has it, 30 minutes after getting the seal my back is back on the road with about 60 miles on it and so far so good :)

I still ordered the OE seal as a spare

I'm a happy camper now and glad Brammo showed concern by having several people including Bartels owner call me which wasn't necessary all I want is to get a bike that I love and expected working the way it should be.

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 10:12:54 AM »
It was my turn to have a leak, from, I think, the motor cover gasket.  Very slow leak, not a problem for riding, but apparently they had to drop the motor out to do the repair, a full day of work, so thankful that it was a warranty job.  As usual, Scuderia was top notch.