Author Topic: Empulse R is ready for the track  (Read 1168 times)

barboo

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Empulse R is ready for the track
« on: May 16, 2014, 12:52:01 PM »
Sharing a couple of pix. Sparky, my Empulse R, is ready to roll for this season. Got a TTX36 enroute and will pop it on + tweak suspension once I get it. It's been fun to ride on the street, can't wait for the track. Going to Putnam (local track in IN), Grattan, and possibly Barber.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 12:54:45 PM by barboo »
1973 Honda CL350 (For Fun)
1999 BMW K1200RS (Daily ride)
2007 Aprilia Tuono R (Street)
2005 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Wife's Track)
2012 BMW S1000RR (Race / Track)
2013 Brammo Empulse R (Race / Track / Street)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Empulse R is ready for the track
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 02:29:17 PM »
That looks so cool, and it's my favorite number.

Let me know if you ever come out to Heartland Park in Topeka or somewhere close to KC. Would love to watch and cheer you on.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

barboo

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Empulse R is ready for the track
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 02:57:46 PM »
That looks so cool, and it's my favorite number.

Let me know if you ever come out to Heartland Park in Topeka or somewhere close to KC. Would love to watch and cheer you on.
Will do! I have a lot of ICE bike activities going on this season as well...hopefully I can squeeze in another eV weekend or two.

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Empulse R is ready for the track
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 11:45:17 AM »
That's so awesome. How long is the track and how much drain do you get. Are you able to run the whole day??

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
Re: Empulse R is ready for the track
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 01:19:17 PM »
Looks great!  Here's a couple of tips:

1. Get a Level 2 EVSE as the Level 1 won't cut it for the track.  You can buy this one directly from Clipper Creek and it comes terminated with a NEMA L6-30 plug which many RV outlets and larger power gas generators have: http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/charging-station-lcs-25p-nema-l6-30-2/

2. Keep your batteries cool throughout the day.  Keep the bike under a tent (bad example photo above) and get some air circulation on the side of the battery cases with fans.  If you want to go to the extreme, you can use a small $99 portable air conditioning unit.  The batteries will be heating up while you're on track and when you come in won't have the air flow over the external heat sink to assist with thermal transfer. 

3. Use tire warmers with those Dunlop DOTs - I know of 2 experienced racers that crashed (low-sided) on these tires on the warm-up lap on the Empulse because they didn't use tire warmers.  The bike has a lot of torque and those tires are HARD unless they're hot.  Don't let the tread pattern fool you into thinking they're a street tire. 

4. Be aware that you're going to drag the stock pegs, brake, and shifter and look for ways to either modify your line, lean off the bike more, or just cut them down to allow yourself to carry more corner speed and lean angle.  "Point and shoot" 200hp 1000cc style of riding doesn't get you fast laps on this bike. 

5. Have fun!  You're racing a freakin' electric bike!  8) :o

« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 01:21:03 PM by BrammoBrian »

barboo

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Empulse R is ready for the track
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 01:35:27 PM »
Thanks for the tips Brian!

I have an L2 EVSE setup to patch in to my generator in its 240 plug so I'm good there. I anticipated that a 110 draw throughout the day wouldn't be enough. I have warmers and always use them with DOTs/slicks at the track. Pressures will be set appropriately.

I appreciate the mention of the heat...I'll bring my high powered fan with me to keep the bike cool off track.

I also have a 600 track bike that I used to ride and now my wife uses it, so I'm familiar with non-point/shoot - higher corner speed approach...but this a new experience for sure. Looking forward to it! :)

7racer - the track is just under 1.8 miles. The sessions last 20 minutes so I'll charge at 240 between the sessions. There is one long straight and since I'll be in the Advanced group with buddies on 1000s/600s I'll move over to let them pass me more easily and look to catch them back in the turns. :)

I'll post up my experiences after the day is over. If for some reason, I run out of juice during the day my wife's GSXR can be my backup bike since she rides in different group than me.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 01:42:49 PM by barboo »