Author Topic: Remembering Mark Buckley, the original Brammo Racer.  (Read 1289 times)

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
Remembering Mark Buckley, the original Brammo Racer.
« on: May 17, 2014, 12:57:52 PM »
The Northwest 200 race in Northern Ireland kicks off the "proper" Road Racing season in the UK and is the run-up race to the Isle of Man TT races.  The NW200 races are taking place this weekend, so I'd like to take a second to remember Mark Buckley who lost his life in this race 2 years ago. 

Mark was one of the original "pilots" (how the Italians distinguish a racer vs. merely a rider) for Brammo as we took a step towards pushing our technology forward through racing.  Mark stepped up to offer his formidable riding skills for the first ever TTXGP race on the Isle of Man in 2009 amidst protests and ridicule from his racer friends.  Many forget that Brammo went into that event as a serious underdog amongst a lot of press coverage of the Mission and Motocyzsz bikes that were going to "blow us out of the water".  Mark finished 3rd overall, scoring Brammo's first ever podium finish, ahead of Mission Motors in 4th and Motoczysz who failed to complete a single lap.  We learned so much from him and this experience and I suspect it will always remain a highlight in my career when I have the opportunity to reflect.   

Mark was a great advocate for our company and truly believed in what we were trying to do. We stayed in touch long after the race hoping to get him involved with representing the company in the UK.  He always wanted me to come visit him in Loch Lomond, where he lived, and I regret not taking him up on the offer. He always had a new joke to tell and was an infectious character to be around.  Mark - you are still dearly missed.  RIP. 

Mark (left) with Roy Richardson (right)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Remembering Mark Buckley, the original Brammo Racer.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 05:20:13 PM »
My last email contact with Mark was his offer to have Roy Richardson autograph my t-shirt that has some other Brammo racers' signatures on it. I never got around to sending it to him. He seemed like the nicest, most generous guy.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki