Author Topic: Brian's New 2014 Empulse R mods.  (Read 4704 times)

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
Brian's New 2014 Empulse R mods.
« on: May 20, 2014, 12:29:30 PM »
Ok... first couple of mods underway.  Just thought I'd share.

Rizoma sport aluminum tapered handlebar.  The position is just right for the Empulse and the stock 2014 bar clamps accept the larger diameter bar without needing to use the kit parts I needed for the 2013 bike.

Upgraded to Magura 195 radial master cylinders for brake and clutch.  I love the look and feel of a good radial lever and I especially like the reach adjustability and feel of these levers. 

Next up - Competition Werkes tail tidy kit, Rizoma (or similar) LED turnsignals, some red accents to match my seat! 

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Brian's New 2014 Empulse R mods.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 01:31:44 PM »
Looks great Brian. I just can't help thinking that those reservoirs look like the sample cup my doctor hands me every year at my physical. But those handlebars really pop.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 06:07:34 PM »
Looks great Brian. I just can't help thinking that those reservoirs look like the sample cup my doctor hands me every year at my physical. But those handlebars really pop.

I suppose they are an acquired taste, but remote reservoirs always say "fast" to me...

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 07:31:24 PM »
The remote flexible rubber-mounted reservoir on my BMW F650GS's handlebar says "bobble-head" to me (and a lot of other owners).   ::)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 08:48:34 AM by Richard230 »
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

barboo

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 03:37:04 AM »
Looks great! I'm been thinking about a MC upgrade, especially as I track more. Curious...why Magura and not 19x18 Brembo or Accossato?
1973 Honda CL350 (For Fun)
1999 BMW K1200RS (Daily ride)
2007 Aprilia Tuono R (Street)
2005 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Wife's Track)
2012 BMW S1000RR (Race / Track)
2013 Brammo Empulse R (Race / Track / Street)

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 11:17:37 PM »
Looks great! I'm been thinking about a MC upgrade, especially as I track more. Curious...why Magura and not 19x18 Brembo or Accossato?

I think the Brembo and Accossato master cylinders would be good choices as well.  I've had some previous experience with the Magura radials and knew that I liked them. They are offered in cylinder sizes that closely match the production master cylinders, so I also knew the braking power and feel would be good.  I'm not sure if Brembo or Accossato offer a matching hydraulic clutch master cylinder.  Magura's 195 clutch cylinder is also a good match to the stock cylinder size at 13mm. 

Empulse Stock M/C Piston diameter:
Brake master cylinder = 16mm
Clutch master cylinder = 12mm

Here's a link to the Magura 195 "pumps" : http://www.magura.com/en/powersports/products/katalog/produkte/detail/80-2014/radial-pumps/allgemein/radial-195/allgemein.html

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 03:36:01 PM »
Got my Competition Werkes Fender Eliminator + Rizoma "Action" LED turnsignals installed this past week. Just noticed the Fender Eliminator is still not up on their site, which I cannot explain... so we'll have to put a call in next week to see what's up with that.  Whole thing took about 15-20 minutes to install.  Very simple.   

barboo

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 03:41:49 PM »
Got my Competition Werkes Fender Eliminator + Rizoma "Action" LED turnsignals installed this past week. Just noticed the Fender Eliminator is still not up on their site, which I cannot explain... so we'll have to put a call in next week to see what's up with that.  Whole thing took about 15-20 minutes to install.  Very simple.   

Looks great! Nice and clean.

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 11:19:17 PM »
Another couple of photos of the fender eliminator and Rizoma Action turnsignals installed...

barboo

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 06:44:29 AM »
Looks great! Cleaner with the tidy tail and signal setup for sure.

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Brian's New 2014 Empulse R mods.
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 02:37:44 AM »
I like the picture. Windmills.....

opfietse

• View Profile
    • My race site
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 01:32:23 PM »
Looks very good, Brian.

I have had my yellow Empulse R for 2 days and have received some comments about the long tail section (and the orange reflectors front and rear and the long chain adjusters but those can be fixed easily).
I looked at the Competition Werkes website but still no sign of a product for Brammo. Anyone with news on that?
MuZ Skorpion Replica - Ducati Scrambler 1100 - Ducati Monster 1100 EVO - Brammo Empulse R

http://www.opfietse.net/mr-racing/

Roland Stone

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 06:25:55 AM »
Have to wonder……… if Brammo(?) engineering thinks the aftermarket parts swaps are such an improvement over the replaced OEM components, either esthetically, mechanically, ergonomically, what does that say about the pieces the rest of us are stuck with?  Can’t wait to see the future aftermarket additions that would apparently also have been a better OEM design consideration.

Just my opinion, but I think the pictured reservoir piss jars are obtrusive compared to the subtle OEM selection, - they got that right!  And yes, adjustable hand levers probably are a valid swap in consideration the inevitable difference in owner’s hand sizes.  Even my lowly Bonneville came with OEM adjustables.  Why wouldn’t the off-the-line Brammo models rate the same, and maybe some adjustable handlebars?  Curious in light the other Bramm top-of-the-line OEM components.  Some quality mirror optics would have been nice.

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 08:25:45 AM »
Looks very good, Brian.

I have had my yellow Empulse R for 2 days and have received some comments about the long tail section (and the orange reflectors front and rear and the long chain adjusters but those can be fixed easily).
I looked at the Competition Werkes website but still no sign of a product for Brammo. Anyone with news on that?

I removed those reflectors, it is a 5 minute job. And in the Netherlands it is legal to ride without them! Only the red reflector below the licence plate is mandatory.
Cutting the licence plate holder so there's nothing sticking out from the licence plate was also very easy to do.
This can be a first step in improvement of the looks. The long tail helps with moving back the tail pack so I left it for the time being.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Roland Stone

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 10:55:51 PM »
kingcharles, - could you explain how you removed the reflectors from the from the sides of the Empulse front fender?