Author Topic: Some motorcycle art I modified  (Read 3236 times)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Some motorcycle art I modified
« on: May 21, 2014, 04:00:28 PM »

Any thoughts?
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Some motorcycle art I modified
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 06:02:41 PM »
What did you end up modifying, as in what was the original media? I really like it. Would make a great poster to hang in the garage.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 06:15:40 PM »
Here's the original image.

I asked for an Empulse silhouette from Brammo and they delivered.  Then it was just a matter of using GIMP and replacing the cafe racer with the Empulse.

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 08:02:54 PM »
Very nicely done! Would have to crank the resolution of the image WAY up to make a poster... so when can I order one :)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 08:14:32 PM »
Hmmm. Not sure how to do that. I'll poke around and try to figure it out.

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 08:31:29 PM »
The res can be upscaled too, just quality wont be as good. I work at an engineering firm so I can print a pretty good sized image from one of our plotters. I may try that and report back.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 01:56:57 PM »
Okay, so give me an idea of what I should do for width (and in what unit) and then what I should set for the X resolution and Y resolution.

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 02:20:03 PM »
Resolution isn't something that is as simple as setting the right value in your file.  Basically those values in an image file (or other graphics artwork file) are simply a guide to the person who is rendering it as to how big you intended it to be in real life.  You could take a 10 by 10 pixel image and simply claim that you intend it to be shown at a 24 inch by 36 inch poster-ish size, but it would look really badly.  You need to have designed it to look good at those sizes.

Vector artwork is usually scalable to any size so you can stretch it to poster size and print it at the resolution of a professional press device - usually.  Sometimes the artist was only drawing it at screen resolutions and never looked at what they did at large scales and so didn't notice that their lines didn't meet up very well at the corners when you view them large - but such issues are not common so generally vector artwork is considered fully scalable.

Images, on the other hand, store discrete samples.  If your image has 5000 pixels across and you stretch it to 25 inches then you have 200 pixels per inch at that resolution.  That might make a reasonable poster.  If it has 800 pixels across and you stretch it to 24 inches then it only has 33 pixels per inch and that isn't going to look very good.

You "could", in fact but not recommended, stretch the image to that "size", but it will just show blocky pixelization artifacts.  You can "resize" the image to have more pixels, but that is simply a combination of "stretching" it and then saving it with the added pixels.  Basically, for images, you need (as close to as you can get) original versions of the images that originally had as many pixels as you can get.  You'd probably ideally want at least 100 (original) pixels per inch of your intended printing output, but 200 or more would be better (and professionals would probably scoff at numbers that low).

So, your first step would be to get vector representations of either of the two images you used, or at least a high enough resolution version of them in an image format that your "pixel dimensions divided by the intended printing size" is good enough for the quality desired.  And it would be best to deliver a vector version of the combined file (so that the vectors in any of the source art can be rendered at the desired final printing resolution by the printer itself) unless all of your original artwork was just pixel-based images anyway.
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 02:21:55 PM »
One comment about your original version posted above - there is something odd going on at the bottoms of the tires of the Empulse - it's like they have a big chunk scooped out of them.  Is that supposed to be there?  I couldn't figure out what it is supposed to be representing.
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 02:48:42 PM »
One comment about your original version posted above - there is something odd going on at the bottoms of the tires of the Empulse - it's like they have a big chunk scooped out of them.  Is that supposed to be there?  I couldn't figure out what it is supposed to be representing.
Those scoopy things were in the original Empulse silhouette pic I got.

As for your previous post, you kind of lost me. This is way outside my area of expertise.  If anyone wants to give it a shot, I can provide the original images for the poster and the silhouette.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 09:20:55 AM »
The scoopy areas can easily be filled in with the clone tool in graphics programs (Photoshop, Gimp, etc.)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 09:54:19 AM »
I didn't use the clone tool (couldn't figure out how) but I selected a good wedge of the tire, pasted, and rotated it to try to fill in.  Let me know what you think.

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 10:31:05 AM »
The rear shock is missing ;)

Once you go EV, gas is history!

Once you go EV, gas is history!

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 10:33:38 AM »
Damn. It's missing on the image I got directly from Brammo, too.  ???

Sure hope they remember to install them on the actual bikes. ;)

RolfC

• Enciter
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 11:40:25 AM »
I own a print shop (MultiCopy) part of the same franchise as Sir Speedy end Pip so this is something I do know how to do. I would like to try to create a bigger image. Maybe even make it in illustrator then you can print it as big as you like. If Brammofan can send me the files I get cracking at it.
2014 Brammo Empulse-R