Author Topic: LED Headlight install.  (Read 2730 times)

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
LED Headlight install.
« on: May 24, 2014, 07:57:49 PM »
Although I appreciated the increase in light from my HID headlight mod, I never liked the fact that it was focused very poorly. After some research I found a LED bulb that was specifically made to fit in the H4 headlight shell, so its emitters are in the same place as the halogen filaments. As you will see, it was ALMOST plug-n-play...

It IS very bright and well-focused. Much improved over the stock bulb.

Here’s some specs (per bulb):

- 2100lm low beam 3000lm high beam total output
- 50% increase over halogen
- MT-G2 CREE Chip
- More focused beam pattern
- Current Draw 2.5A @ 12V = 30W
- 12-24V constant current driver
- Waterproof driver and fan connectors level IP65
- Over-heat Fan Failure Protection
- Fan Life 25000hrs

I found the unit here:

http://www.vleds.com/headlights/led/h4-9003-hb2.html

When I bought the unit a couple of weeks ago, they had a single bulb for a motorcycle at half the price shown on the above link. That has disappeared, so it looks like for now, two purchasers should go in on the buy or call the company to find out when singles will again be available.

I encountered a challenge in doing the install. A very stupid challenge! As everyone who’s worked with headlights knows, the H4 base has a flat area on one side of its circle. This flat mates with a corresponding blocked circle of the headlight shell’s receptacle, so the installed unit cannot rotate.

Well, wonder of wonders, the manufacturers of this LED unit, supplied it with a completely round base! No way would it fit into the headlight reflector receptacle. When I called the company, they were totally unaware of the issue and gave me permission to modify the unit in order to make it fit, without voiding my warranty. The man I spoke to was very nice. I have NO idea how such an obvious error could have slipped through what appears to be a very well-crafted piece of kit.

Using a sliding caliper, I measured the stock H4 bulb’s distance from the bottom of the round area to the flat, locked the caliper’s jaws in place, and used it to scribe a line on the new LED unit. Then, using a fine-toothed hacksaw, after clamping the housing firmly to a workbench, I very gently sawed a groove across the raised circular base until I got near the larger flat area. At that point, I held the hacksaw at 90 degrees to the first cut and cut down to meet the groove, removing the offending portion. In lieu of a milling machine, this crude approach proved effective if not pretty.

Here’s the LED installed:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10852133@N02/14074587959/in/set-72157632567075439

And here’s the “ballast” which I zip-tied to the instrument cluster bracket:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10852133@N02/14074602728/in/set-72157632567075439

The hole in the wiring nest is where the fan and fins on the back of the bulb fits.

RolfC

• Enciter
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: LED Headlight install.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 04:36:43 AM »
Looks nice! Do you still need the separate led lights on your handle bar or is this led light enough?
2014 Brammo Empulse-R

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 10:15:14 AM »
Do you still need the separate led lights on your handle bar or is this led light enough?

I'd guess for most riders, the LED headlight would be enough. But for me, light is like torque: there almost can't be enough!

My particular goal is to throw enough light down range that I feel safe from overdriving my lights at 75 mph on the freeway when that toolbox has fallen off a truck. The auxiliary LED's do that at 10 watts apiece, and I have them wired to be on only with the high beams.

BrammoBelgium

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 03:30:49 AM »
I just installed one on my Empulse. It's a very bright white light, the only problem could be the high beam that doesn't give as much light as i expected.
I have no pics but i made a short video of it:

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 02:07:08 PM »
On the garage door, (0:41) there is a very clear addition of light above the low-beam focus when you switch on the high beam. But on the street at night, (1:21) when you activate the switch, the additional light seems to appear between the existing beam focus and the motorcycle, i.e. closer to you. It appears as if the bulb were installed upside down??

Also, have you tried adjusting the beam height with the headlight adjustment screw in the upper right of the shell. I have mine adjusted as high as possible without getting flashes back from oncoming drivers, and it meets my needs for speeds up to 75 mph.

BrammoBelgium

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 01:01:15 AM »
I still have to go to a local garage to adjust my headlamp with a beam setter in the next weeks.

And yes the bulb is fitted upside down because i never use the high beam, only for flashing, and the light was much brighter when i turned it so for me personally it was better to have a brighter low beam.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 12:29:22 AM »
Well, if you're going to turn your bulb upside down, you must move to Australia!

BrammoBelgium

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 04:47:57 PM »
The headlight is adjust yesterday to make sure it doesn't blind the oncoming traffic. I would recommend an LED headlight for the modern look and the easy install to every Empulse owner.