Author Topic: Chain Oiler  (Read 4021 times)

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chain Oiler
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2014, 03:17:57 AM »
Reading your post however made me wonder how the Brammo racing bunch maintain their chains generally, and specifically how do they accomplish chain lubrication for and during competition events?  Oilers, or just change the chain every race?

Racing costs loads of money. Top teams overhaul their engines and put new on new everything, tires, brakes, chain, the lot. They do not skimp to save a few bucks on a chain.
On the Dakar rally, new chains are put on every evening :o
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs
shortened chain tensioner bolts

Top Case

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 03:30:47 AM »

It's nice though to see that Pro Oiler evolved with the GPS unit and the nozzle setup looks great as well, I wonder about the rest of the setup (pump, sealing of the computing unit / junction box) etc? Where did you leave the oil container, do you have a picture of that?

I've used Pro-Oilers for the last 10 years or so on four different bikes. They have evolved indeed.
I can tell by the installation manual. It used to be quite a few pages, but with the GPS unit, the manual is only one page, indeed plug an play.
The unit comes allready set for your type of bike so no need to adjust anything.
Pro-Oiler recommends fresh, clean engine oil to be used.
I never had trouble with moisture entering the unit, but I do not use high pressure jet cleaners directly on the unit. (Brammo warns against using high pressure cleaners too)

I used other Chain oilers too, but they were either manually operated (wear increases inbetween activations) or single setting gravity fed Oilers, that need constant adjustments and do not work in the winter.

Riding all year I wonder how the Empulse will perform in the winter.
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs

Top Case

E-viator

• View Profile
    • www.piloot.com
    • Email
Chain Oiler
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2014, 09:16:14 AM »
Okido, thx. But where did you locate the oil reservoir?
Emile
'14 Empulse R
'13 Renault Zoe (EV)
'06 Moto Guzzi Griso

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2014, 05:12:14 AM »

There's plenty of room behind the battery pack, this is not the standard Pro-Oiler reservoir (Pro-Oiler tanks can be molded into shape to fit into tight spaces) but a 200ml reservoir bought at RC-World
I think the edgy design of the tank is more in line with the Empulse design.
Colour of the container top is more in line with "True blood red" than what you might expect from the pic.
People never ask squestions like: "what is that thing for ? " So I think it's not that obtrusive.
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs

Top Case

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 10:03:31 AM »

The original 125 ml. Pro-Oiler reservoir can be seen in their where the girl installs it behind the battery pack.
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs

Top Case

E-viator

• View Profile
    • www.piloot.com
    • Email
Chain Oiler
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 04:57:37 AM »
Nice video!
Emile
'14 Empulse R
'13 Renault Zoe (EV)
'06 Moto Guzzi Griso

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 12:31:57 PM »
Not one to leave well enough alone, I just had to tinker with the delivery end of the Tutoro oiler. The plastic pincer tips always worked just fine, even though they seemed flimsy to me. I had the idea of using 3/16" copper tubing, which just fits inside 1/4" clear plastic tubing and, with a little sanding, just inside a 1/4" brass T-connector, fastened with solder and a propane torch:

I finally got around to installing my Tutoro a couple of weeks ago and it worked fine for a couple of short trips to the city, but my first long commute to Santa Clara and I found one of the rubber pinchers looking worse for wear and pointing at the ground.  I was able to twist it back to point at the sprocket, but it had lost all of its springiness and no longer rode along the surface of the sprocket, just kind of hung there in the vicinity of the sprocket surface.  :(

Looks like I'll need a more robust oil delivery solution like yours as well...
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 07:17:09 PM »
The tip doesn't have to touch the sprocket; it has to deliver its drops so that they fall within the outside boundary of the sides of the chain.

If you want to copy my approach (patent pending), you're welcome to come over and take a look and borrow my propane torch, if you need one.