Author Topic: Anybody in LA been getting Thermal Cutoff everyride since the summer heat came?  (Read 2340 times)

werm_works

• Empulse Guru
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jeffyyaki
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - vespa_1004
    • View Profile
    • Email
Just wondering if its just me or is it because of the software update or since the temp has been no less than 85 recently?

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
I have not had a thermal cutoff to my knowledge and this past week I rode in the mid 90's with high humidity. Is your fan kicking on?

I am not in LA, and I did not get the software upgrade yet.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
I rode my entire commute yesterday - some speeds at 45-50mph -- but usually 35-45mph.  No thermal cutback.  And OH MY GOD was it hot.  99 degrees in the shade.

The only time I saw the thermal cutback warning was on a hot day when I was WOT on the highway for several miles.  I wanted to see what temperature it reached when the thermal warning popped up.  I think it was 260.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

HighlanderMWC

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Don't think I need to worry about thermal cutoff...I just rode into the office a few minutes ago and it was 56F.

werm_works

• Empulse Guru
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jeffyyaki
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - vespa_1004
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thermal cut off starts at 230

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
Werm,

Thermal cut-back (not cut-off) limits and slowly reduces the peak current delivered to the motor from your motor controller.  You would perceive this on the bike as a drop in acceleration rate and eventually a drop in top speed. This protection is based on a measurement of current and temperature over a given time period with the effect of protecting your motor from permanent rotor damage.  Ambient temperature can affect when this protection kicks in, but it is much more likely to be the result of repeated heavy acceleration or sustained high speeds, both of which require alot of current to be delivered to the motor.  I would recommend getting in touch with your service rep as it is pretty painless to have him/her take a look at the logged data from your usb drive and take a look at what's going on when thermal cut-back kicks in...

Hope that helps!