Author Topic: ready to purchase an Enertia Plus  (Read 1454 times)

theoplus

• View Profile
    • Email
ready to purchase an Enertia Plus
« on: June 28, 2014, 08:55:20 PM »
Hello Brammo owners.  After much research, several demo rides and a few discussions with company reps from (both) electric motorcycle companies, I have made a decision to purchase a Brammo Enertia Plus.  I would be grateful to hear from Enertia Plus riders regarding your favorite -and least favorite- aspect of the bike.  Thanks, Theo

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ready to purchase an Enertia Plus
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 09:39:07 AM »
Hi Theoplus and welcome to the forum. There are many posts on here about rider experiences with the Enertia, Enertia Plus, and the Empulse.

Gavin has ridden and/or owned all three. I recall that when he got his Empulse, he actually missed certain features/aspects of his E+.

We hope to hear more from you. When do you expect delivery?
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Auslander

• Empulse Guru
  • Ich bin ein Auslander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 05:38:29 PM »
Greetings, Theoplus!

I just picked up an Enertia+ a few months ago, myself.

Get the cons out of the way:
- I wish it had a little more off-the-line oomf.  Nothing speedy, just a little 'more'.
- "Closed" system.  Something with a nerd++ level interface or phone app would be slick.  Personally, I'd like to change my boot sound and graphic. :)
- Delays in my trips, from explaining to people what it is, and yes, the future's upon us.

Con/pro
- Slower charging compared to more advanced modes.  + 110v charging allows for more possible charging locations.  Slight trade-off.

Pros (outside the "it's electric!" perks, of course):
+ The mirrors.  Some bikes have mirrors that are just useless, the Enertia's mirrors are more than functional.  They don't vibrate and blur, they hold position well.  It's the little things that can make a difference.  Nothing worse than buying a bike and needing to ditch the mirrors outright.  Same goes for decent grips.
+ Reasonable tires.  Same as the mirrors and grips.  It's not a high speed bike, you don't need super-sticky tires, and what it came with is perfectly suited.  I run my Avons a little high to reduce rolling resistance, and still manage to corner/sweep very close to where I think the envelop for the bike is.
+ Ergonomics. Seating position is upright, without being *too* upright, or worse, laid back.  The platform pegs are a little weird for my personal tastes and geometry, going to look in to replacing these.
+ Balance and handling.  They're subtle, not obvious, which is just fine.  Better having not-noticed balanced handling than have one small detail you need to keep yourself perpetually aware of and adjusting for.
+ Components.  Name brand suspension and braking.  These were one of the selling points for me.
+ Optional display mode that's above and beyond basic consumer-level battery gauge.
+ Brammo upped the battery coverage from 2 years to 5.  Easier to hold faith in the product.

Would-likes:
o A more cohesive set of of accessories.
 oo Wish I could charge w/o removing the seat.
 oo Hard cases are good.  The case frame offered separately for use with soft cases or use-specific luggage would be nice.
 oo There's a center stand, but the market disappeared before I saw it on there.
 oo Rumors of a windscreen; same applies.  Personally, wind doesn't bother me, I'm used to high speeds on naked bikes, but am thinking of something to make the bike a little more slippery and maybe eke out a few extra miles.
 oo Adjustable brake lever.  Many miles on other bikes with levers a certain way, creature of habit.
 oo All lights to be off while charging.
 oo Docs on what accessory ports are where, and what they can handle.  Some forum members want to power a heated vest, or maybe gloves.  Knowing what voltage and amp outputs are available, or where we could add them, could be useful, maybe for a cel charger, etc.

Near as I can tell, Brammo's done a good job with keeping customers happy and ensuring each unit is rolling in proper condition.  You should be plenty happy, esp. when you noticed after the first month your credit card's run through the gas station well less than before.

theoplus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 01:38:46 PM »
Thank you Auslander and Brammofan for the replies and comments.  Auslander, your very thorough review was extremely helpful, as was a read of Gavin's blog. 

I signed the paperwork today and expect delivery of my new Enertia Plus tomorrow.  I look forward to riding and being a part of the Brammo community!

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 01:58:17 PM »
Gah, should have come to this thread sooner :(

One other point about the 110 charging. I really wish the Empulse had both the 220 and 110 separate.

The reason...with the plus I use to charge at work. I don't with the Empulse. The 110 cord is cheap and easy to replace and unlikely to be stolen. I don't trust using my expensive brammo cord at work...if it gets stolen it will cost we a few hundred dollars to replace.

Not that I need to charge at work...but it was nice to get a bit of juice each day for free.

Enjoy...I love the Plus...a great city commuter that is easy and fun to drive.

Gavin

ps...a bit more grunt off the line would be nice...but I always was fast enough to beat the cars at any red light...two up would be a wonderful addition. But I don't know what Brammo's plans are...we don't hear much about the Plus here in the States...

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 07:26:20 PM »
One other point about the 110 charging. I really wish the Empulse had both the 220 and 110 separate.

The reason...with the plus I use to charge at work. I don't with the Empulse. The 110 cord is cheap and easy to replace and unlikely to be stolen. I don't trust using my expensive brammo cord at work...if it gets stolen it will cost we a few hundred dollars to replace.

You could always slow the thieves down with a Master long-shackle lock that just fits through the hole in the pistol grip, locking it onto the  bike. There's a thread on here somewhere with the spec for the lock. Bought one but have used it only once.

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Re: ready to purchase an Enertia Plus
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 02:40:09 AM »

You could always slow the thieves down with a Master long-shackle lock that just fits through the hole in the pistol grip, locking it onto the  bike. There's a thread on here somewhere with the spec for the lock. Bought one but have used it only once.
Yes, I also use a small lock to ensure the connector cannot be removed from the bike. Used it twice in Amsterdam already and still have my cable...

Please note that we also have to bring our own cable for public l2 charge stations so having a small lock is no luxury.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 11:04:03 AM »

Auslander

• Empulse Guru
  • Ich bin ein Auslander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 08:49:28 PM »
theoplus,

Glad you signed and will be riding amongst us soon!

Last night, coming home from work, I took the back way in to my neighborhood, which has me making a right turn at one intersection, which immediately goes steep, up.  The corner is banked out, usually I take it wider and slower, I guess, because yesterday I managed to scrape my toe on the ground hard enough that it knocked my foot off the peg.  Didn't think I'd get an Enertia+ over quickly and that hard to do that.  Ever.  :)

For the discussion of securing charging cables, this may kill two birds with one stone:
http://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-999614-Evolution-Series-4-Yellow/dp/B001B5G8NG/

It's made to go through your front brake disc to deter someone from rolling off with the bike.  Use that, and run your cable through it as well.  The shackle's very small, no plug end is going to be pulled through either direction, I don't think.