Author Topic: Empulse as first motorcycle.  (Read 3128 times)

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Empulse as first motorcycle.
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 09:46:24 AM »
Given that it's the height of riding season and the 14's are just hitting the floors, I doubt you could negotiate beyond any incentives being publicly offered by Brammo.  If you found a '13, you should try bargaining down even below Brammo's retail incentive.  Any leftover bike is ripe for bargaining.  The improvements in the '14s are not dramatic, if you can negotiate a good deal on a 13, that might be a good way to go.

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 04:25:18 PM »
I have a new concern about the Empulse and thats the range. For my work commute I have a 11 mile trip to work and back with and up to 10 mile trip for lunch possible. So that seems feasible for the 50-100 range. My real concern is on weekends on go visit family and that is 44.6 trip at 60+ speeds. Now what I've been reading at highway speeds your range quickly dips below 50. Now I can charge it once I'm there, but do you guys think it will be able to make a trip like that? I hear in alot of reviews that the range drops pretty quick on highways and its possible to drop below the 50 mile range.

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 04:46:56 PM »
Range depends on a lot of things, so it'll be really hard to tell you for sure if you will be satisfied. When I taught MSF this past weekend, which is 43 miles away (39 of which was interstate), I would arrive with 15% remaining going there, and got home (after fully charging) with 8%. The next day, riding faster and with less regard for efficiency, I got home with 22% thanks to a wind shift. I could have definitely gone further if I would have tried, but my thought is why leave any range on the clock? It'll be fully charged by the time I need to ride it again, anyway.

I go balls-out on my commute - WOT from stops, 75-80 on the highway - but I usually have 40 to 50% remaining when I get home after 35 miles, 25 of which are interstate.

You will definitely be able to go 46 miles year round, but you may have to do a bit of hypermiling when it's cold, or if the ride is 80% or more at interstate speeds, or if one direction is significantly uphill, or into a big headwind.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 08:46:05 PM »
Does the fact I way 135 soaking wet help? lol

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 10:13:11 PM »
135 lbs. helps only if there's lots of hills. Or if you are accelerating hard a bunch of times. On the level at a constant speed, weight doesn't much matter, in my experience.

I think you'll have no problem for your family visit, especially if you install a windshield which really helps at higher speeds and/or with headwinds. I rode 36 miles, all on the freeways, with my wife on the back, and with one fairly long climb and descent, and had 53% remaining at our destination. (This is one of the data points that went into my 70-mile range limit guideline.)

If it's really cold (below 40F) range could take a big hit, but at those temps, you'll probably be happier in a car anyway?

First time out, if you can safely do so, I'd ride at 60 mph or less to see how much SOC (state of charge, percent of battery remaining) you end up with. You should have plenty left and then feel more confident in increasing your speed if you want to.

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2014, 10:50:47 PM »
I don't think you'd have any problem, especially with a windshield.  As other have said, cold temps or a strong headwind are the main things that might confound you but I just can't imagine that at 55 mph you'd ever drop below 50 mile range.  As Bill said, conditions would have to be so bad that you wouldn't want to ride anyway. 

With the windshield, I believe I have an 80-mile range at a constant 55 mph with good weather conditions.  I haven't tested that for a full 80 miles from start to finish, but I feel pretty confident based on multiple extrapolations.

Once you've done the trip a few times, you'll have a pretty good idea of how fast you can go, making adjustments for variables like temp and wind.

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 05:38:57 PM »
Finished my MSF course last weekend and got my license. Going to check out the 2013 Empulse R at Eurosports. Thanks for all the help guys.

One thing I found that might make this my definite pick is the insurance is a lot cheaper then the other bike I was looking at (Yamaha FZ-07) So when push comes to shove the Empulse R even though its 10k more is cheaper on the month to month basis when gas cost and maintenance is factored in.

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2014, 10:50:42 PM »
Congrats!!  Welcome to the fold.

And yes, I've definitely found that insurance is waaaaay cheaper for the Empulse than comparable gasbikes.

Also on top of the gas and maintenance savings: parts.  Having owned a variety of bikes, I can say pretty confidently that Brammo replacement parts are among the cheapest I've ever seen.  Probably something to do with them being produced right here. 

Anyway so if you are like me and are constantly breaking things (mirrors, handlebars, shift pegs, etc) due to being an idiot, it'll still be cheap.  I dropped the bike at ~25mph a few months in and it cost me like . . . . under $100.  (Also, no gas tank to dent!)

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 07:21:42 PM »
Going to go pick it up on Wednesday. I'm excited.

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 11:02:49 PM »
Going to go pick it up on Wednesday. I'm excited.

Sweet!  We're excited for you as well.  Make sure to get the Eurosports guys to take photos of you with your baby to post here!   8)  What color?

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Empulse as first motorcycle.
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 02:41:09 PM »
It's going to be an awesome day!! Take tons of pics!

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2014, 10:31:20 AM »
Unfortunately the awesome day was cut short. A recall notice went out yesterday that prevented me from taking the bike home. Luckily they threw in free delivery of the bike to make up for the delay. So as soon as the part comes in and the bike is ready I'll have it. Just got to wait a little longer.

Also got a Red 2013 Empulse R.

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2014, 02:35:03 PM »
What was the recall?

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2014, 06:02:19 PM »
Bolt for the front brake caliper has been coming loses supposedly on the 2013s .

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2014, 06:08:21 PM »
My understanding it was one bike.
Fix = Loctite.
Another reason to be thankful for two front brakes!