Author Topic: Empulse as first motorcycle.  (Read 3127 times)

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Empulse as first motorcycle.
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2014, 06:36:54 PM »
Yep but legally they have to order a new bolt from Brammo and install it before they are allowed to let me take it.  :( Should have went 2 days earlier. ETA is now next Thursday.

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2014, 10:06:43 PM »
I haven't gotten a recall notice for mine. I wonder when the notice went out?

I was thinking it was the tires when you said recall.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2014, 11:30:57 PM »
I haven't gotten a recall notice for mine. I wonder when the notice went out?

I was thinking it was the tires when you said recall.

There's no recall on the bikes.  There is a technical service bulletin (TSB) with the dealers to check the rotor bolts for the appropriate amount of Loctite on the threads. 

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2014, 08:14:39 AM »
Weird they told me they were waiting on parts. I wonder why...

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2014, 08:20:30 AM »
Weird they told me they were waiting on parts. I wonder why...

I don't want to overstep here, so let me investigate what's up.  I may have a misunderstanding on this TSB or they may. 

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2014, 07:12:56 PM »
Got my bike today! I would just like to say... Holy shit! And I haven't even used 1st or 2nd yet. Tho I might have gone outside the break in period range once or twice just a little.

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2014, 08:02:52 PM »
Thats great news! Be careful with first gear though, it will pull your arms out of their sockets! ;D
Seriously though, use the throttle sparingly around turns... these bike are torque central, and you dont want to low side that fine machine. Congrats!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 08:05:31 PM by EmpulseRider »

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2014, 08:09:16 PM »
Thats great news! Be careful with first gear though, it will pull your arms out of their sockets! ;D
Seriously though, use the throttle sparingly around turns... these bike are torque central, and you dont want to low side that fine machine. Congrats!

Thanks. It will be awhile I think until I see what first is like. And I've been rolling on very very slowly in turns as someone who drives turbo powered cars I know the power of torque and on a bike it keeps me scared from finding out.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2014, 09:13:06 PM »
Sounds like your in the right groove for your learning curve on a new machine. As your comfort zone naturally expands, you'll probably find out that, unless there's liquid or gravel on the roadway, the tires are very grippy. With the SMOOTH application of throttle, I've never had mine slip. Feel the bike: it wants to do the right thing and will teach you.

That said, last week, after 18K miles and 20 months of ownership, I did something way out of habit for me in my morning startup routine, came back to the garage and, in the driveway, tried to back up forgetting the throttle was still hot. Pulled back on the bars, shot into the garage and, before I could get off the throttle, plowed into 3 plastic shelving units and dumped all their contents over on me and the now laid-down bike. Yes, you too can accomplish these tricks that you don't want your neighbors to see!  :o Next time, I might even make it through the back wall! >:(

- Bill Might-As-Well- Be-My-First-Motorcycle i

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2014, 09:32:08 PM »
Lol I gotta do a turn around to get it off my stoop and the throttle definitely helps, but I've been doing it in 5th gear so that exact thing doesn't happen to me. mine will be worse though it will just go through my front door.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2014, 10:22:17 PM »
Congratulations, little freak! Can't wait to see pictures.
Bill-you're a brave man to share that humbling story. It hurt me to read it.

Harry "I dropped mine off my hitch carrier on top of me" Brammofan.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2014, 08:49:23 AM »
While we are sharing horror stories (mines not nearly as bad). Just dropped my bike for the first time this morning after pulling into a parking spot at work. I'm not 100% sure what went wrong with bugs me. I pulled in and then tried to scoot it back so that the kickstand could land on the concrete pad we have so our bikes don't sink into the asphalt. The bike just got away from me some how. It was a very slow motion fall  :-[. Damage is just a bent shifter and some rash on the shifter and the handle bar end. Was able to bend it mostly back into shape by hand. Gonna go barrow a crow bar from our metal shop here before lunch see if it can get it back right again.

The only thing I could think of is I was trying to turn it a bit while going back and I just turned to much and essentially countered steered going .1mph backwards.

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2014, 11:13:38 AM »
Everybody drops their first bike, usually doing something just like that. 

The Empulse is a little bit tricky when duck-walking it around, putting down the stand, etc . . .   Not sure why, but it calls for a little bit more caution.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2014, 11:57:44 AM »
Damage is just a bent shifter and some rash on the shifter and the handle bar end. Was able to bend it mostly back into shape by hand. Gonna go barrow a crow bar from our metal shop here before lunch see if it can get it back right again.

Congratulations: you've now broken it in and you never again have to worry about putting the first scratch on it!

I've bent the shifter lever a couple of times and find that a large adjustable wrench, with the jaws closed down to just fit the thickness of the shifter lever, works just fine.

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2014, 05:50:00 PM »
The Empulse was my sixth bike, and I've dropped it the same way. In a parking lot, in front of a pretty girl. Welcome to the club. ;D
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL