Author Topic: My Empulse is not charging  (Read 1203 times)

werm_works

• Empulse Guru
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jeffyyaki
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - vespa_1004
    • View Profile
    • Email
My Empulse is not charging
« on: July 13, 2014, 04:09:40 PM »
I got back from church hoping my Empulse would be fully charge for my to hit Angeles Crest just to find out it's still at the same percentage as it was when I last plugged it so I tried plugging it on and off and still the same it shows charging but zero amps and the charger is showing just the power status on but the charging light is off so just to find out if it's the bike or not I went to a charging station and it's confirmed it's my bike not charging it shows 0 amps charging.

Has anyone had this problem before?

werm_works

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 04:47:35 PM »
I checked all three charging fuse including all of the other fuses and they all checked out fine

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: My Empulse is not charging
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 08:44:55 PM »
Bummer >:(

Do you have enough SOC to get to your dealer for diagnosis? Definitely sounds like time for them to send your drive data to the factory and sort this out.

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 05:59:01 AM »
I had that happen to me also a few times. When I plugged it in (public L2 station) it would do all the usual stuff (display and lights on, fans blowing for a few seconds) but the charging amps would just stay at 0 amps forever.

I found it was a problem with the public charge facility because going to the next outlet it would work fine.

So either the charge facility is not liking the Empulse or the other way around...

Once you go EV, gas is history!

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 01:03:50 PM »
I had that happen to me also a few times. When I plugged it in (public L2 station) it would do all the usual stuff (display and lights on, fans blowing for a few seconds) but the charging amps would just stay at 0 amps forever.

This use to happen to me all the time at work until the Shorepower station got a software update.  I think the Empulse takes a bit longer time from plugging in to responding to the station than most cars.  The station would time out and never charge.  I had the same failure at a Blink station last week that caused me to cancel a Portland to Seattle ride.  I make it a habit to make sure the charging actually starts pulling some amps before I walk away.

On an unrelated note, my first leg of my long trip was my usual work commute to top off.  I tied my all time best remaining charge.  I think that is pretty impressive after 1 year and 9000 miles on the Empulse.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 02:08:52 PM by skuzzle »

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 01:53:23 PM »
On an unrelated note, my first leg of my long trip was my usual work commute to top off.  I tied my all time best remaining charge.  I think that is pretty impressive after 1 year and 9000 miles on the Empulse.

Yeah, I'm at 16,575 miles and don't see any degradation at all.  ;D

werm_works

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 03:25:47 PM »
I sent my charging logs to Brammo this morning, hope to hear from them soon.... Yes it's a major bummer since only have 2k on the bike and had all this major stuff happening.

My Enertia was a roller coaster ride too from the motor controller, charging unit, complete motor, sub frame and wiring harness has been replaced. But amazingly the battery is still in awesome condition 3 years old with 10k miles

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 11:40:06 PM »
Can you attach the logs here?

werm_works

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 09:45:20 AM »
Hi Brian,

The charge log is too big to attach, would you like me to email it to you directly?

Thanks,
Jeff

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 11:30:21 AM »
Hi Brian,

The charge log is too big to attach, would you like me to email it to you directly?

Thanks,
Jeff

Sure!

werm_works

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 11:53:41 AM »
Can I have your email please

Thanks

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 04:48:57 PM »
Got the logs - Thanks! 

Auslander

• Empulse Guru
  • Ich bin ein Auslander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 05:14:34 PM »

Not sure how an Empulse's charge logs look compared to an Enertia +, but for giggles I took a 25 meg (meg, not K) CHG log and using a basic .zip util got it down to 2 megs, almost a 90% reduction in size.  7zip would likely make it smaller still.  Just for anyone's future reference.  The logs aren't compressed in their native state so zipping them up can whack a ton of size out of them.