Author Topic: Energica Ego in the neighborhood!  (Read 1490 times)

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Energica Ego in the neighborhood!
« on: July 15, 2014, 09:01:48 AM »
I often read about bikers and Alice's restaurant.

Today I noticed an Instagram post from Energica showing off their bike in that neighborhood. Did any of you had a chance to go and see it?

Once you go EV, gas is history!

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Energica Ego in the neighborhood!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 10:43:26 AM »
Their tour hits SF on the 18th, but it is listed as sold out on the web site and they don't list a venue to even see it.  They are also appearing in LA on the 20th and today is the deadline to sign up for a test ride on that day.

I'm out of town on the 18th and I wouldn't know where to go to spot one, but I did submit for a test ride in LA on the 20th as I am down there this weekend to do a concert.  Unfortunately, I won't have motorcycle gear with me (does a tuxedo with tails count as protective gear?) so the best I could do would be to see it in person and maybe sit on it...
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 10:44:48 AM »
http://www.energicasuperbike.com/where-is-my-ego-tour/

(And scroll down - the splash graphic resizes to fit the first page and the info and the form are hidden below it...)

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 10:24:38 AM »
OK, so I've been selected to participate in the Ego tour test rides down here in LA this Sunday.  The only problems?

I'm stuck in a downtown LA Hotel with no car and no motorcycle gear and the test rides are at the Rock Store on Mulholland.  To make matters worse, one of the ride sessions is right smack dab in the middle of the afternoon when I'll be singing on stage at the Disney Concert Hall, and the other is at the crack of dawn.

Any local LA riders participating and want to give me a lift from the downtown Hyatt early Sunday morning?  I might be about 25% awake by 7am and I'll need to be back in LA by about noon to get ready for the concert...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:27:21 AM by flar »

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 04:32:58 PM »
Here is Asphalt and Rubber's Ego ride review.  At $34,000 and 570 pounds, I don't think it will be cutting into very many Empulse sales.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/reviews/energica-ego/
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 05:20:17 PM »
OK, I'm back (or on my way back) from the trip to LA.  My apologies for how long it took to post this, but I was pretty busy with performing at the Disney Music Hall for George Takei (Ooh, I get to drop some names from my bucket list! ;) to be writing up my thoughts while I was down there, but here are my impressions...

First, a disclaimer for me.  This was my first time riding on these roads, including the infamous corner where rnickeymouse takes all of his videos of squids new riders dumping their fancy brand new superbikes.  I was riding in borrowed gear from a guy who was slightly taller and 70-80 lbs. less portly than me, and I had to wake up a couple of hours before my usual time.  I have never ridden a sport bike with clipons or rearsets so my aging and creaky bones were trying to make due the best they could with the riding position, but it was actually pretty comfortable after the first couple hundred feet when my legs got over the shock.  Despite all of that, the ride went very well!

I've read the Asphalt & Rubber article and think they did a good job.  I mostly agree with just about everything they said (with a few minor differences).  In particular:

I love, love, love the reverse gear.  (I should admit that I didn't actually engage it and use it myself, but it's there and they demonstrated it for us and it works well with excellent low speed control for parking.)  Since this just requires some software, I'd like to see this on any AC motor driven bike.

They have really excellent low speed throttle control.  It is so intuitive that when the rides started with the bikes positioned on the left shoulder with the high traffic arriving and leaving from the Rock Store, requiring us to look ahead and behind us simultaneously while gliding slowly up to speed across both lanes to follow the rider leader, it was an excellent example of not having to focus on anything but where you are going.  I actually enjoy the visceral clunk of the Empulse, but in a "character" sort of way, not in a "this is a sublime experience" manner like the Ego throttle.  Don't get me wrong, the Empulse is very easy to control at low speeds, but the Ego throttle map had quite a bit more low speed linearity than I have seen before on either Brammo or Zero.

But, on the other hand, I never felt that impressive launch of power from a stop that the Empulse has.  Perhaps with a bit more than 10 minutes on it and some stop-start opportunities that didn't involve pulling off to the side and then watching traffic as I got back on, I might have had an opportunity to do some 0-XX pulls and feel all that it had to offer, but it wasn't as readily present as the strong pull of the Empulse at a stop light.  So, perhaps this is a factor of the really excellent, gentle and intuitive low-speed throttle response and I just never goosed the throttle enough to experience the other side of its character.  On the other hand, what I definitely did experience was that it can pull strongly from any speed and there is nothing weak feeling about the pull, I just never had a fun goose-ing off the line like I did on my Empulse test ride.  It was strong and polite and the Empulse is energetic like a (well mannered) puppy.  Another factor may be 100 lbs less weight and the torque multiplication of the 1st gear on the Empulse.  How much torque does it have in 1st again?

The first thing I told them when I got back was "more regen!"  We started in "Eco, mid-regen" and halfway through we pulled over before the sweeper section and I switched to "Sport, high-regen" and got barely enough regen for me to notice it.  I love the sport regen on the empulse and it gives at least twice as much drag as the Ego did in its strongest regen setting.

I disagree with their reservations on the styling, though.  I love it and it didn't take any growing on me.  It's a beautiful bike.

I absolutely, positively completely contradict their evaluation of the brakes.  I should have tested them early in the ride, but instead I was 5 or 6 corners in before I decided to slow down and I nearly launched off the front of the bike.  It's a good thing that it has such heavily sculpted thigh cutouts or they would have been scolding me for breaking one of the prototypes, the guy whose gear I borrowed would have been pissed at me, and I might have had to limp around our choreography that afternoon.  8|  After that I merely suggested to the brake lever that I might want to touch it to get as much braking as I needed.  Perhaps the review's beef with the brakes was that their absolute limit wasn't very high and it was simply that the brakes are more touchy than I was used to, but the braking force I felt was plenty strong compared to what I was reading, though I didn't push the bike anywhere near its limits...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 09:23:02 PM by flar »

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 06:14:25 PM »
Nice review, glad you pulled it off on short notice. Sounds like you had fun off of the bike too :)

But, on the other hand, I never felt that impressive launch of power from a stop that the Empulse has.

The Empulse probably has similar acceleration in 1st gear as the Energica .. but the Energica should take off afterwards (and continue up to 150 mph).

Perhaps the review's beef with the brakes was that their absolute limit wasn't very high and it was simply that the brakes are more touchy than I was used to, but the braking force I felt was plenty strong compared to what I was reading.

That's possible. I think sport bike brakes are typically quite touchy. TBH if you are braking at the absolute limit on the street and it's not a panic stop, you're riding like an asshat.

On the other hand, I wasn't riding hard enough to dump the bike like allegedly some journalist did earlier that week (cough, cough, they didn't actually say who it was)...

Well.. there's this:

Unfortunately, I didn't get to take a complete ride and I'm too embarrassed to say why.  Let's just leave it at that, okay?  If I had made the full ride, I believe I would have had more glowing things to say about the Energica Ego, its that good. - See more at: http://www.electricracenews.com/#sthash.CCeo4jkV.dpuf
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 09:21:58 PM »
Uh, oh.  I know that person.  I shouldn't speak in jest here... :(

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 09:24:50 PM »
Another thing they mentioned was the 3kw charger with a pending option for SAE combo with DC fast charging.  I was hoping for a little more than 3kw on the AC charging front, but I have no idea what that takes in terms of internal components.  This is an area where the Mission bikes will likely shine...

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 10:34:27 PM »
In the spirit of "pics or it didn't happen"...

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 10:38:12 PM »
Sorry for my last post being somewhat of a mess.  If it would let me delete it and try again I would, but we don't seem to have that option...

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 12:31:36 AM »
Another thing they mentioned was the 3kw charger with a pending option for SAE combo with DC fast charging.  I was hoping for a little more than 3kw on the AC charging front, but I have no idea what that takes in terms of internal components.  This is an area where the Mission bikes will likely shine...

There's not a lot of unambiguous information on why Tesla moved away from AC Propulsion's reductive charging technology to discrete chargers as used on the Roadster 2.0 - 2.5 and the Model S. There's some discussion about charging inefficiency here and here.

If reductive charging hurts efficiency, I wonder if it might make sense to use a small offboard charger for charging overnight in conjunction with a high-power reductive onboard charger. The overwhelming majority of charging could be done overnight, but for occasional charging "in the field" power density matters more than efficiency.

Alternatively, if the bike's powertrain is liquid-cooled, it seems like it'd make sense to re-use the radiator and pumping system to also cool discrete chargers to reduce size and weight. I assume Brammo has considered this and rejected it for some reason: perhaps the additional tubes to carry fluid to the front-mounted radiator would add more bulk or weight than the heatsink / fan, or perhaps the motor cooling system is simply poorly suited for repurposing for the chargers.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 06:39:41 PM »
rnickeymouse's video coverage of the test rides.  This was not the same group that I was part of because the "big corner" on Mulholland was empty when we went through and it is full of people in these clips.  The rides could have been on Saturday or the press rides on Monday.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 02:18:20 PM »
Photo of me being a squid by wearing my tennies while on my Ego test ride.  D'oh!

(At least I found a helmet and kevlar suit that fit...)