Author Topic: Best way to mount the Nelson-Rigg tail pack on your Empulse  (Read 1702 times)

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Best way to mount the Nelson-Rigg tail pack on your Empulse
« on: August 15, 2014, 03:52:11 PM »
I thought this might be a nice thread since all EU bikes come with the Nelson-Rigg tail pack and there are no specific Empulse instructions. I believe the exact item provided currently is: http://www.nelsonrigg.com/store/product.aspx?pid=1673
The reason for Brammo to provide the tail pack is for carrying the charge cable. EU public charge points don't have a cable, you must always bring your own... I think that providing a tail pack is extremely well thought through and it shows the excellent customer focus of Brammo.

Now the title might suggest that my installation method is the best ;) but of course only I feel this way. If there are better ways please reply on this thread so everyone (including me!) can benefit.
After trying lots of different methods of running the ties I ended up with the setup I will describe below. It has the most stable fit and prevents the pack from sliding forwards or backwards. It also allows the removal of the pack without having to remove the ties (they will click onto the tail frame). I found this particularly useful as I often carry a passenger. I also find it the most aesthetic setup as it hides the ties very well.

I did not want to remove the seat for running the hooks and ties, if someone has done such a setup please post it in this thread.

I ended up running two ties from the passenger peg frame and two ties via the tail frame.

The front hooks are run crossed over the plastic cover of the charger from the left passenger peg frame to the right front ring of the tail pack and from the right passenger peg frame to the left front ring of the tail pack.
See below photo

The rear hooks have a pretty complex routing. They start underneath the tail frame using the openings at the front to hold them and from there run to the back of the frame where they come up via the opening (underneath the rear light) in the frame. From there they go over the side and again go underneath the tail frame and cross to the other side where they come up and connect to the rings of the tail pack.
I hope the description is clear. But maybe the below photo's help to clarify.

The below photo shows the front of the tail frame on the right and the rear on the left. The ties start at the right side, looped around the opening. They go up via the opening on the left side and come back down via the side.

The below photo shows the tie coming back down from the opening underneath the rear light.

The below photo shows all 4 ties from a little more distance

And the last photo shows the tail pack mounted from a side view. From a this view it is clear that the ties are pretty invisible. I always ride with the rain cover over the tail pack (because it often rains here  :'( ) and then the ties are even more invisible.

Added a photo of the ties clicked to the tail frame when the pack is removed

Please comment for further improvement!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 05:16:08 PM by kingcharles »
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best way to mount the Nelson-Rigg tail pack on your Empulse
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 04:03:08 PM »
A most excellent tutorial!
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Gerhard

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 02:32:04 AM »
I do it so!

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 09:03:51 PM »
I've been looking for a tail bag so I can pack a lunch and/or my charger to work without the backpack. After reviewing the Nelson Rigg that Brammo included for the Euro buyers I thought why not give that one a try. I think the way I tied it up works well and is neat. Plus when I'm not using the tail bag I can just fold the straps under the seat and out of sight.
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 09:16:29 PM »
Well I liked the Nelson-Rigg Tail bag so much that I bought the matching Mini-Side bags as well. They're made well and really light weight. I went with the "Mini-bags" because they're smaller and expandable up 19+ liters each bag. I had to get a slightly longer bolt for the seat because I ran the middle straps for the side bags under the seat. I had to play with the position of the bags to find a comfort zone. I also played with the side straps a little bit to figure out the best way to neatly tie it down. Overall this works great for me.  I've been sporting (road testing) them all week and feel like they would be perfect for a short road trip where I could pack plenty enough and maybe throw on a back pack too.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 09:33:29 PM by Virtually Yours »
Actually Mine,
Empluse R