Author Topic: Brammo End of Summer sale -  (Read 5370 times)

shocker

• Ride Softly and Carry a Big Wattage
  • Enciter
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Brammo End of Summer sale -
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 11:05:33 PM »
Am I the only half empty guy here?  I am not too happy about what this will do to the implied resell value of my existing bike at all.

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 11:31:45 PM »
Am I the only half empty guy here?  I am not too happy about what this will do to the implied resell value of my existing bike at all.

The glass was always half empty.  You just didn't realize it until now.  The only way to get your value out of an electric vehicle is to put many many miles on it.

It's an astonishing development, and my first thought was that this is not the kind of move that a healthy company would make.  But then, as others have pointed out, this is a field in which the most expensive component -- the battery -- is rapidly becoming more cost effective.  If that's the root cause, then you would expect a rising tide to raise all boats (or something like that), in which case Zero should also be able to drop their prices.

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 07:21:03 AM »

The glass was always half empty.  You just didn't realize it until now.  The only way to get your value out of an electric vehicle is to put many many miles on it.

It's an astonishing development, and my first thought was that this is not the kind of move that a healthy company would make.  But then, as others have pointed out, this is a field in which the most expensive component -- the battery -- is rapidly becoming more cost effective.  If that's the root cause, then you would expect a rising tide to raise all boats (or something like that), in which case Zero should also be able to drop their prices.

This is just a clearance sale to get rid of old inventory to make room for the new bikes. We knew that as early adaptors we were paying a premium for being the first ones to get our hands on a really great bike. I'm ok with it... We also knew that at some point the prices would come down. One thing is for certain, I'm definitely getting my money's worth.
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 03:27:20 PM »
We knew that as early adaptors we were paying a premium for being the first ones to get our hands on a really great bike. I'm ok with it... We also knew that at some point the prices would come down. One thing is for certain, I'm definitely getting my money's worth.

That's the right way to look at it.  It's a big purchase, so you want to feel good about it.  "Early adopters" are making a financial sacrifice to help advance a worthwhile technology.  I was all in for that idea when I bought my Empulse. 

A price drop like this is not such a surprise, it just came a little sooner than expected.  I would be more upset if technology made a huge leap forward with, say, a year of my purchase, which in my case is not going to happen.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 10:11:26 PM »
This sort of pricing dynamic around EV's is why a lot of people advise leasing vs. purchase.
Me? I just ride and grin!

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 05:18:33 AM »
I have this new good paying job and there's a 2010 VFR1200F demo bike with 1600 miles on it going for $12,000, that is perfect for getting me to races states away, if not on the other side of the country. It's the sensible choice. And now Brammo does this to me!? There aren't enough sleeping pills on this ship to let me sleep tonight. arrggggghhhhh. :o

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 09:30:05 AM »
I have this new good paying job and there's a 2010 VFR1200F demo bike with 1600 miles on it going for $12,000, that is perfect for getting me to races states away, if not on the other side of the country. It's the sensible choice. And now Brammo does this to me!? There aren't enough sleeping pills on this ship to let me sleep tonight. arrggggghhhhh. :o

But which bike will get you to, and from your new job, reliably (and in style) for next to nothing in fuel costs?
I would find a new 2013 Empulse locally if possible or somewhere in the country and have it shipped. Save 2k and spend that (and the money you save in fuel) towards something used that will get you where you need to go for races. :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:34:53 AM by EmpulseRider »

theoplus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 09:45:54 PM »
 Having just purchased an Enertia Plus at the beginning of July, I feel that I paid full price when a major discount was in the Brammo pipeline.  Especially disappointing after discussing this very matter with a company representative.
 That being said, I am having a blast on the bike and enjoying every mile!

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 09:45:29 PM »

But which bike will get you to, and from your new job, reliably (and in style) for next to nothing in fuel costs?
I would find a new 2013 Empulse locally if possible or somewhere in the country and have it shipped. Save 2k and spend that (and the money you save in fuel) towards something used that will get you where you need to go for races. :)

I work on a ship for 35 days straight and fly to work. If, we start sailing in the Gulf again and I have to go to Houston where the company is based out of, the VFR is still the right choice. If I taught music locally, the Empulse would be the choice. But the bicycle shop I still work at part time is only 4 miles from my new place with a bike lane or "route" all the way there. And the grocery store is only a mile away. The logical choices for those two places is the bicycle. Gonna feel stupid to fire up a 1200cc sport tourer just to go 4 miles, but I have the little 500 for that. I think I might actually get it put back together this time home. And then I ask myself if I do more good for elmotos by owning one or by going to the races to cover them and spread the word.

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 12:09:29 PM »
So this price drop is a big deal for the entire motorcycle industry... why have no news outlets picked this up yet?

I sent in a tip here a few days ago:
http://www.engadget.com/about/tips/

No response yet.

Perhaps it would help if others sent in a news tip. :)

I would really like to see what people think about this in the comments. Last time there was a Brammo article on Engadget, most complained about price and range. Obviously price (and IMO range) is no longer an issue.

UPDATE:
Article just popped up on ABG:
http://green.autoblog.com/2014/08/27/brammo-offers-massive-price-drop-on-electric-motorcycles/

Domenick is on top of things as usual :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 01:04:36 PM by EmpulseRider »

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 02:15:57 PM »
It dropped on autoblog green because I tweeted it at them this morning.

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 09:34:01 PM »
BTW, where has 860 gone? I know he was waiting for a price drop to buy...

Just saw the ABG story, so I'll be calling the dealership in the morning to see what they've got.  $5000 off is pretty darn close to the (up to) $6,000 dollar tax incentive that Colorado was originally going to offer, so it puts the price much closer in line with what I originally was planning on spending before Colorado killed the incentive for electric motorcycles.

I'd actually resigned myself to the idea that I would have to wait and buy used after Brammo came out with a updated model, and the prices on the old bikes dropped in the used market.  But this might just work out better than waiting and buying used.  Hopefully they will have something that will work for me.

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 11:08:56 PM »
BTW, where has 860 gone? I know he was waiting for a price drop to buy...

Just saw the ABG story, so I'll be calling the dealership in the morning to see what they've got.  $5000 off is pretty darn close to the (up to) $6,000 dollar tax incentive that Colorado was originally going to offer, so it puts the price much closer in line with what I originally was planning on spending before Colorado killed the incentive for electric motorcycles.

I'd actually resigned myself to the idea that I would have to wait and buy used after Brammo came out with a updated model, and the prices on the old bikes dropped in the used market.  But this might just work out better than waiting and buying used.  Hopefully they will have something that will work for me.

Im pretty sure that Foothills had a Red and a White Empulse last time I was there, which was like two weeks ago. Not sure what year though, but I think 2013. They are great people there, hopefully they can hook you up.

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2014, 12:57:21 AM »
Im pretty sure that Foothills had a Red and a White Empulse last time I was there, which was like two weeks ago. Not sure what year though, but I think 2013. They are great people there, hopefully they can hook you up.

The red one is sold, and headed for Oklahoma.  The white 2013 was still available when I was there, but somebody else was there talking about Brammo's while I was there.  The white one is the one they've been using for demo rides, and shows signs of having been laid down (road rash on the right passenger peg, and a bit of damage on the "tank" cover, etc), so I'm on the fence on it.  They were going to call and check on what they could order in.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2014, 12:51:29 PM »
Both the tank cover and the peg are easily replaceable. Easy to change to another color while you're at it. They could throw in the cost of those two parts too.