Author Topic: Difference Empulse to Empulse R  (Read 1984 times)

Rano

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
Difference Empulse to Empulse R
« on: August 25, 2014, 11:25:47 AM »
Hi

can you tell me, what are really the differences between "Blank" and "R"?

The motor provides more torque. Is it a different motor or just a different application?
Are there any other changes?

Do you know something about acceleration, the R should be 1/3rd faster?

- Rano

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Difference Empulse to Empulse R
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 12:29:11 PM »
Look at it from another perspective: what will you use the bike for?
I use it 90% for commuting and 10% for fun.
The acceleration of the standard Empulse (E1 is the official name I believe) in 1st gear is almost enough to keep up with a Zero SR. I tried that while riding with a friend last Wednesday. He could get no more than a few meters on me as long as I was in 1st. So it is plenty fast. It wins all stoplight sprints against cars.
I don't need fully adjustable suspension for commuting and the E1 suspension is actually very well balanced for me (I weigh 75 kg's)
The handlebar is slightly different, no idea what the exact difference is between th E1 and the R.
And that's it with regards to differences as far as I know.

So what are the benefits of the E1?
I really like the black forks!
The motor housing looks much better!
I have an all black E1 so I even like the black spring of the rear shock :P
It is 2000€ cheaper...

Here is a picture of my bike together with my friend's Zero SR. (mine is the better looking bike of course ;))
Once you go EV, gas is history!

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 12:32:40 PM »
Rano,

Yes - the motor is physically different between the Empulse and Empulse R. The Empulse motor has the same power, but lower initial torque.  Some riders prefer this characteristic as it is smoother and reduces the feeling of gear lash in the transmission.  The lower initial torque does affect acceleration.  The "Sport" mode of the Empulse is roughly equivalent in performance to the "Normal" mode of the Empulse R. 

The Empulse R also features more adjustable suspension on the forks and shock.  Hope that helps!

Roan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Green Motorcycles - weblog
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 02:05:04 PM »
Hi

can you tell me, what are really the differences between "Blank" and "R"?

The motor provides more torque. Is it a different motor or just a different application?
Are there any other changes?

Do you know something about acceleration, the R should be 1/3rd faster?

- Rano

Are you planning a trade in? In this time of price drop it's very tempting.
Plug in - Hop on - Ride electric

Rano

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 02:22:52 PM »
Yes - the motor is physically different between the Empulse and Empulse R. The Empulse motor has the same power, but lower initial torque.  ....  Hope that helps!
Are you planning a trade in? In this time of price drop it's very tempting.
It wins all stoplight sprints against cars.

Thanks for your replies. As maybe some members of the forum know, I really like my Enertia Plus, but... the power... off the line... traffic at vienna... no upgrade kit for the Enertia...

Although I need the money for less important thinks like a cute holiday house, my wife, my boys and other really really less important things... €9999 is a very very good idea from the brammo marketing!

Same feeling as in 1988, when I was looking for an used XT500A...

Now I am counting the benefits of an Empulse. Could even get faster to the office and back home!

Puhhhhh ;)

moezilla

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 03:19:36 PM »
regarding "  The lower initial torque does affect acceleration. "
any numbers on that?  0-30,  and or 0-60?  I think it has been stated the R does 0-60 in around 5 seconds

Rano,

Yes - the motor is physically different between the Empulse and Empulse R. The Empulse motor has the same power, but lower initial torque.  Some riders prefer this characteristic as it is smoother and reduces the feeling of gear lash in the transmission.  The lower initial torque does affect acceleration.  The "Sport" mode of the Empulse is roughly equivalent in performance to the "Normal" mode of the Empulse R. 

The Empulse R also features more adjustable suspension on the forks and shock.  Hope that helps!

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 11:24:21 PM »
Look at it from another perspective: what will you use the bike for?
I use it 90% for commuting and 10% for fun.

Same with me, except it's more like 95/5.  I test rode the R a few times before buying the standard.  For commuting, the standard is everything you'll need.  If you're after thrills, get the R.  Not that the standard can't provide a thrill, but you get quite a bit more on the R.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 12:42:33 PM »
If you're after thrills, get the R.  Not that the standard can't provide a thrill, but you get quite a bit more on the R.

I bought the R because, at the time, it was all that was available. For your usage, I think you will be quite pleased with the standard.

As to acceleration off the line, I'd characterize the standard as "WOW" and the R (with a 42T rear sprocket) as "OMG." Only you can decide whether that difference is worth the extra coin.

The acceleration in city traffic, has saved my bacon a couple of times over the last 18 months, but the standard probably would have done the job too.

tkthompson

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 05:21:43 PM »
Don't forget the good looks of the "R" with its carbon fiber touches.

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 09:14:43 PM »
Don't forget the good looks of the "R" with its carbon fiber touches.

2014 doesn't have CF anymore. That's why I got a 2013 lol