Author Topic: Where can I find a 2013 R?  (Read 3983 times)

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Where can I find a 2013 R?
« on: September 06, 2014, 03:06:07 AM »
OK, full disclosure. I have this good paying job (finally) and am digging my way out of a financial abyss. I am actually pretty much there. Now, I am looking to build my credit up and not looking to keep this job for much more than another year, assuming I get a teaching job next year. So, that will be a pay cut. I can either try to get a 2010 VFR1200 DCT demo, with 1900 miles on it, that will get me to races and Maine, and such. Or a 2013 Empulse R as both are $12k. I realize the VFR is the logical choice, but some of the guys on the boat here started poking fun about how long it would take to get to the tracks and my nothing is impossible/I'll show you attitude kicked in, and now I am fighting lust. Back to the cash part, my plan is to basically have this thing paid off in a little over a year. But, if I bought the Empulse, getting to Barber or Road Atlanta would be nearly impossible in a timely manner. Has anyone seriously thought about trying to stuff a bigger charger, like a 6kW or 9kW? I am pretty sure I could kiss my warranty good bye.

Besides all that, where in the heck do you find a left over 2013 R? For $2k more the VFR beats the 2014 R.

Thoughts?

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Where can I find a 2013 R?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 11:57:24 AM »
I've thought about a larger charger.

Two Meanwell RSP-2000-48 in series won't quite give enough voltage for a full charge, but it should provide constant current up to about 80% capacity.

These could be configured with two J1772 inlets (1 for stock Powercharger 3000, 1 for 2x RSP stack) or as a single J1772 inlet with RSP-2000 with less power.

2 J1772 inlet, 8 kW 208/240V AC, 69A DC (24A + 45A), 50% charge in a bit less than 40 minutes.
1 J1772 inlet, 7 kW 240V AC, 61A DC (24A + 37A), 50% charge in about 45 minutes
1 J1772 inlet, 6 kW 208V AC, 53A DC (24A + 29A), 50% charge in about 51 minutes

Another option is a second Powercharger 3000, for a total charge rate of 6 kW (48A DC).
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 11:04:48 PM »
Richard,

Congratulations on the job and more importantly - getting back on two wheels!  I'd love nothing more than to see you on an Empulse, so let me know if there's anything I can do to help. 

I can appreciate your concerns about the practicality of your purchase, but I can assure you that on that Honda you'll just be another motorcyclist, but on the Brammo, you'll be a part of the future of an industry. Seriously, just imagine how smug you'll feel owning a product that you know so much about, and have been so close to, the development of.   8)

Whatever you choose will be fine... But, I'm sure you'll make the right decision.  ;)

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 10:48:53 PM »
I did the math of a Empulse over a gas bike (FZ-07 in my case) and the Empulse comes out close if not cheaper then a gas bike at half the price when you consider factors like cost for gas and insurance. The insurance I found (might vary for you) is a lot cheaper for an Empulse then a 600cc bike. The more you ride the bike the cheaper it gets too! Do some math yourself right now is the best time to get an Empulse but I'd think you gotta act fast.

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 02:11:54 AM »
...Besides all that, where in the heck do you find a left over 2013 R? For $2k more the VFR beats the 2014 R.
Thoughts?

I'm not sure that I could tolerate the VFR's ~35 MPG.  I think Honda blew it when they replaced the 800 VFR with the 1200.  I use to ride my VFR 800 from Portland OR to Laguna Seca often.

You could always save $2000 and get the normal Empulse and then find some used cheap sport touring bike for the occasional tour.  Perhaps a Triumph Sprint 1050, VFR 800, ST1300, etc.  Vstroms make goes long distance bikes too (except the seat).

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 10:00:15 AM »
Any relatively modern IC motorcycle will get you down the road, or across the country, just fine.  My daughter rode her 1989 Suzuki GS500E 85,000 miles in just four years, including a number of trips from where she lived, north of Seattle to my home, south of San Francisco, nonstop via freeway and with no windshield (a 950-mile, 17-hour ride).  Anyone who wants to ride electric, but is concerned that they might need to travel further distances occasionally than would be practical with the current electric motorcycle technology, should consider buying a well maintained used Japanese motorcycle of 250cc or larger, in addition to a Brammo or Zero.  :)  Anything from 1980-on should work just fine and cost between $2000-$3000 and be cheap to operate and insure.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrammoRules

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 10:34:35 AM »
Here is the dealer locator for Brammo.  Sure you can find one somewhere!

http://www.brammo.com/store-locator/

I got mine in San Diego as soon as the huge promo started and I love my bike!  Best two wheeled purchase I ever made!

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 06:28:22 PM »
Wow, how did I miss all these replies? Just to clarify for those who know me, I did not go a new job. I am still at the one I got back in February. But pays pretty good for what I am used too. Anyway, I thought I'd bring everyone up to speed. So Harlan of Hollywood electrics got a hold of me and even found an Eboz Special for me. I applied for credit and got denied. That pretty much took the wind out of my sails for a bit. But I went and bought a new badass computer and got a credit card for the first time in years. These will help as the biggest factor had been I hadn't had any revolving credit. Eurosports got a hold of me a second time right after I got on the boat, but having reflected on things and where I am at, and how volatile the job market still is, I just can't go there. That VFR is still for sale, but again, that is a lot of money. Sorry Brian, I do love my V-4s. But if it makes you feel better I actually DID choose the Brammo first. ;)

On Richard230's point. I actually own an '86 500 Interceptor that I have to put back together and get running. And your point is valid, but unfortunately at 6'2" those bikes you mentioned do not make for comfortable long hauls. Yes I rode my foirst 500 from Pensacola, FL to Dixmont, ME once, but I was 22 years old. I'm 37 now, and I know how it felt to ride my VFR from San Diego to Dixmont, ME. It was a whole lot better! And I was 26 when I did that. :D

What I am currently hoping is I can get some help with the ergos on my 500 and make it tolerable. It's actually too upright. The biggest issue is leg room. My 33" inseam is too cramped on that little thing. And I wanted VFR for riding from Clarksville, TN to Daytona or maybe even California. Barber is doable on the 500, but that's about it.

Thank you for all the replies guys.

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 08:33:22 PM »
I actually own an '86 500 Interceptor that I have to put back together and get running.

I went thought that this summer for my '86 500 Interceptor that had been sitting in my garage for the past 8 years.  I was really disappointed in the results from a shop that had it for most of the summer, I have ended up redoing most of what they did anyway.  If at all possible, do everything yourself.  Nobody cares more about your bike than you!  Availability of parts can be a challenge, but a lot of things are still available new and used parts on Ebay.  I will be doing a valve adjustment on mine next, as soon as the adjustment tool and new gaskets arrive.

There is a guy in Westlake Village (Keane Mack 818.575.6643) that specializes in re-manufacturing VF500C carburetors.  He does not stock the cores for the VF500F so you would have to get yours to him, but he did a fantastic job on mine for a very reasonable price of $269.  I highly recommend him, but he only does carburetors, and you have to remove and install them on the bike yourself.

I had inquired at Hollywood Electrics about a 2013 Empluse, but was told they were no longer available.  Had a 2013 Eboz been available for $12k, I probably would have bought it.  At this point, I have decided to wait on the Brammo until the 2015 specs come out, then decide on what I want and I am willing to pay.  If prices return to $19k, my fall back plan is to find a low mileage 2007 VFR800 Anniversary Edition, or just keep riding my 1986 VF500F for awhile.  If I am stuck with gas, it should at least be a V4.

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 05:41:11 PM »
The EBoz model was an extra $1k if I remember correctly. But Harlan also said someone else was interested.

roma258

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 06:22:13 PM »
Eurposports in Coopersburg, PA (45 mins outside of Philly) have a 2013 Empulse R demo with around 2,000 miles on it. Not sure what the asking price is now that the promo is over, but it couldn't hurt to inquire.

BrammoQC

• Enciter
    • View Profile
    • Brammo, Inc
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 06:25:34 PM »
Promo is running until the end of the year!  :D

http://www.brammo.com/us-incentives/