Author Topic: Empulse triple tree stand pin size  (Read 967 times)

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Empulse triple tree stand pin size
« on: September 10, 2014, 09:50:12 AM »
What size pin is needed for the Triple Tree Stand?

I'm looking at getting this set: http://www.mjmotogear.com/FRONT-HEAD-LIFT-REAR-SET-COMBO-2.htm

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
Re: Empulse triple tree stand pin size
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 10:36:07 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's the smallest pin size you can get and it might even have to be turned down smaller than that.  Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure we bored out the steering tube on our factory TTX racer in order to fit a larger diameter pin size.  This was an oversight in the design of the steer tube...

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 11:03:36 PM »
Thanks that what I was afraid of. I measured it and it seems like 12mm opening and the smallest I can find is 13mm.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 11:20:47 PM »
I measured my triple tree hole size and it was 11 mm.

Back in another thread:

http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=2496.msg18840#msg18840

I wrote this:

"I wrote to both Pit Bull and Woodcraft to see if they would make us a pin, and they both said it would  be too fragile, even with the tool steel they use in their smallest,  the 13 mm.

I'm thinking that I could probably safely drill out that hole 2 more measly mm,  but I'm not sure I want to risk my life on that bet!

Also, while I was down there scoping things out, I saw 7 threaded holes, 6 mm in diameter drilled into the bottom surface of the triple clamp. Anybody (Brian?) know what these are for? Could they be used to attach a plate that could then be acted upon by a triple tree lift? It would seem to me that something fastened with 7x 6mm machine screws would be very sturdy and more stable than one pin, even a fat one."

Howz about it Brian? Want to comment on this? Can we safely enlarge the bottom TT hole? (The sound you hear is lawyers screaming in the background!)

Or, even better, I see an opportunity for a nifty accessory: A plate could be left attached with the 7 machine screws, thread locked in place. In the center of the plate is a welded-on round collar with the proper pin size hole in the center. Just think of all the profits being left behind without this essential accessory in the Brammo catalog? ::)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 11:32:57 PM by Shinysideup »