Author Topic: Empulse and OVMS module  (Read 2102 times)

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Empulse and OVMS module
« on: September 12, 2014, 04:59:15 PM »
Has anybody looked at trying to get an OVMS working with the Empulse?
Would it be possible or should I forget the idea?
http://www.openvehicles.com/vehiclesupport
Once you go EV, gas is history!

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Empulse and OVMS module
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 05:51:14 PM »
If Brammo is willing to share some information about the can-bus I don't see why you couldn't make it work.

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 09:48:33 PM »
Markj the developer of the OVMS module is really active on the Tesla forum.  I have it for the Tesla Roadster and LOVE it.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/7716-OVMS-Installation/page36?p=754346#post754346

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 07:14:18 PM »
I'm working with the mycarma guys to sniff the Canbus. I've mentioned it to Brammo but haven't heard much.

I think we should get some guys on this forum some CAN dongle and start to peck away at some of the traffic. The display CAN has a lot going on and it shouldn't be too hard to find rpm, voltage, current, etc.

I've got my own CAN equipment and mycarma logger if people want to contribute. We also have that USB drive and some partially decoded messages that may line up.

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 03:32:26 PM »
What is the correct dongle type for the Empulse?
I used to have a Peak USB adapter but I gave it away a few months ago... :'(

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 07:01:37 PM »
Any CAN dongle will do for listening to the CAN bus.

I use an IXXAT USB CAN dongle.

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 07:38:05 PM »
Yea but it doesn't have a OBDII I'm guessing... so where are the wires to tire them in?

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 08:12:16 PM »
It has CAN, but the CAN ISN'T OBDII compliant. It's just pure CAN.

There's a motor controller CAN, and a display CAN. I'd suggest the display CAN.

DO NOT CONNECT THE TWO TOGETHER. THEY NEED TO REMAIN ISOLATED FROM EACHOTHER. I'd read one at a time.

They're on the side of the bike, but I wouldn't touch them unless you know what you're doing. I bricked my bike for a week playing around the first time.

Athlon

• Enciter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 05:04:38 PM »
As far I know there are several parts inside the Empulse with a know or leaked canbus protocol.

The best documented protocol is by far the Eltek charger protocol , this can give a lot of information about charging energy , pack total voltage , pack charging curve , cuolobic efficiency of the cells.

The motor controller is a Sevcon so everyboty able to "talk" with a Sevcon can read info from the controller , as noted above the canbus from Sevcon is NOT optoisolated from the traction battery , be AWARE that motor canbus GND is the same of TRACTION GND , one wrong connection and you can destroy the bike or get killed.

The not know protocol is the BMS , here only BRAMMO can help US :)

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Empulse and OVMS module
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 12:33:51 PM »
I did not look at this at all yet up to now but I will receive a gateway and arduino type board to play with soon from an IoT project I backed on kickstarter and want to see if I can hook it up to get something out of the bike while riding and charging.
All new stuff to me so it may not go anywhere quickly. But good hobby for passing some spare time...

See also: The Things Network
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/419277966/the-things-network

vtbrammorider

• Empulsive R2-D2
  • Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 08:21:23 AM »
My plan is to pull things from the controller bus with a kvaser memoratorium or something cheap.  I've kicked around the idea of making my own logger but that isnt really my specialty.  When I get back up to Michigan I might be able to help with identifying some of the controllers CAN traffic, frodus probably can too as it is configurable in the controller.

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Empulse and OVMS module
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 11:06:05 AM »
State of charge is the main thing that I am interested in.
Any other parameters are bonus.

vtbrammorider

• Empulsive R2-D2
  • Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 11:09:57 AM »
I'd say you would be better able to get that off the display can bus.  You should be able to get VDC from the controller but from memory I don't remember there being SOC (again I can check after the new year).  SOC is almost definitely on the display can bus though.

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Empulse and OVMS module
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 01:15:20 PM »
I've done some digging. I know what all the motor controller traffic is, but not the display, as it's not formatted...it'd take some decoding. I think the Charger is on the Display CAN. I haven't dug into that much.

Do not connect the motor and display can ever. Not isolated on motor side apparently.

I have a openxc bluetooth CANbus dongle I wanna get working to log can messages. Have an ixxat I play with from time to time.

I'd suggest we all use the same software so we at least format it similar. I think Busmaster is compatible with a lot of can dongles (works with IXXAT and Kvasser):
https://rbei-etas.github.io/busmaster/

We should do this, lemme know what I can do and I can log some values. I'm off until the new year and the bike is on a swingarm stand so I could technically "run it" and do some logging.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 01:21:45 PM by frodus »