Author Topic: First ride in the rain in 30 years  (Read 3006 times)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
First ride in the rain in 30 years
« on: July 28, 2010, 07:55:26 AM »
I don't get to ride to work every day (because of kid pickup/dropoff) but at least one day a week, MsBrammofan and I coordinate schedules so that I am able to commute on my Enertia.  I always check the weather report so that I can either move that day around or pack my rain gear (that I've not yet had the chance to wear). 

The forecast showed 0% chance of rain yesterday.

Never trust a weatherman.

It started raining on me when I was about 5 miles from home.  It felt kind of refreshing at first -- the drops that landed on my pants pretty much evaporated right away due to high temps here in Kansas City (90s) and the apparent wind (35 mph). 

Then it started really pouring.  No evaporation opportunity. 

I remembered all I'd read about motorcycles and the rain - be careful about the rain/oil slick on the road, other cars not seeing you, etc.  And I remembered the Shocking Barack trip where BrammoBrian and Dave Schiff drove for a couple days in steady rain.  I thought, "I bet someone is going to say, 'did you get shocked?'"

Got home fine, if a big soggy.  No zaps.  But the first thing my son said when I walked in the door: Did you get electrocuted?

Putting aside, for the moment, my pet peeve of people equating a shock with electrocution (electric + execution = death), why is it that people think this is an issue?  If you happen to have a particularly thought-provoking (or snarky) answer to that question, please share. 

Anyway, just wanted to say that the Enertia handled in the just like I expected it would - superbly.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: First ride in the rain in 30 years
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 09:38:47 AM »
Nice report. I think it will take stories like this to help put the average person's mind at ease about how Brammo bikes do in the rain.

Never trust a weatherman.

I don't.

I use the site: http://www.boston.com/weather/?p1=Header_Weather to help predict my own weather. The normal weather pattern for me is that whatever weather PA experienced the day before, there is a good chance it will hit me 24 hours later.

webman

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 06:48:55 PM »
Brammofan:

Ah, the joys of riding in the rain.  I remember a trip I took in 1989 from northern Virginia to Cleveland, Ohio on my old '84 VF750 Interceptor.  Fun trip, except that it started POURING just outside of Pittsburgh, and didn't stop until I was over the ohio state line.  I've never been so wet in my life, but fortunately, it stopped, and by the time I got to my stepsister's house, I was almost totally dry.

It's even funnier here in balmy phoenix arizona.  I rode a bike year-round during my college years, and didn't even own a car.  People would ask me what I did when it rained.  I replied, "I get wet."  This usually resulted in a blank stare, as the questioner invariably was rendered speechless.  Fun stuff.  People have become such babies in this day and age.  :)

I also find it amusing that people are concerned about being electrocuted by riding an e-bike.  I can't imagine a manufacturer would let something like this out of the factory door without SERIOUS testing; it would be corporate suicide, as the ambulance-chasing media would put it into continuous-loop 'reporting', with some moronic commentator spouting nonsense about how electric vehicles are a threat to people's safety.  I also wonder why nobody's ever afraid of this happening to them on a 'conventional' motorcycle or car; they generate enough electricity to give you a nice zap if there's a short in the system, too.  They don't do this, however, because the manufacturers figured out a long time ago how to make them safe.  Common home appliances like toasters and hairdryers are actually FAR more dangerous, but people's perception of danger often has little basis in reality.

End of Rant.  Sorry!

eric, AKA the webman
webman, aka eric

brammo vehicle desired:  Empulse 8.0
current rides:  '97 yamaha seca II (low miles, but beater)
'06 honda metro (wife's bike, mostly)
previous bikes:
'97 ducati monster 750
'91 yamaha FZR600
'84 Honda VF750 Interceptor

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 10:19:13 PM »
No car since summer of 2005...rain, snow, ice, hail, single degree temps....I ride....I am also an idiot :)

I have decided I might start taking the bus when it is icy...the last big ice storm I rode in, well it was about an inch of solid ice for 5 miles of city streets...it was, at first, kinda fun. I went about half my normal speed and the road was so glass smooth that I put my feet down the whole time using my feet like an outrigger canoe...but the cars where still trying to go full speed...and would ride right up on my rear with only a couple of feet behind me...which was very un-nerving..if I fell there would be no way for the car to stop in time on that ice.

Gavin

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 10:21:10 PM »
Which leads to a question...what is the temperature limitations?

Can you ride an Enertia or Empulse when the temperature is 6 degrees fahrenheit?

Gavin

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 06:09:44 AM »
Which leads to a question...what is the temperature limitations?

Can you ride an Enertia or Empulse when the temperature is 6 degrees fahrenheit?

The Enertia has been tested in the snow and ice by Brammo. I have personally tested it out in the 20F range without a problem.

The tips in the Owner's Manual suggest a top operating temperature:

Maximizing Battery Capacity and Battery Life
By following the tips listed below, one can assure long life and high performance of your Enertia’s BatteryModules.
• Operate your Enertia at temperatures below 104°F (40°C), charge at temperatures between 32
°F (0°C) and 113°F (45°C).

I have not heard of the lowest temperature range, yet.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 06:11:39 AM by Phantom »

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 09:20:22 AM »
Well electrons flow better at low temps...so that shouldn't be a problem...I've never riding at less than 6 degrees...i assume there is a point when the temps are in the negative numbers that the battery has issues, but we don't get that cold, and if we did I wouldn't be riding...6 degrees is cold enough when you are going 45mph down the road.

Gavin

GeorgeS

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 10:19:38 AM »
In 1967 I had a Honda 305 super hawk. My parents had moved to Phx but I stayed behind in Davis, Ca for the summer to work. I needed to go to Phx to attend ASU in the fall so the plan was to ride my 305 to LA and see some friends, then to Phx across the desert. On the way to LA I forgot to take the bike off of reserve when I gassed up----so I ran out of gas on the freeway. Luckily a guy loaded me and the bike on his truck and got me to a gas station.

On the leg to Phx I got a before sunrise start because of the heat. Then it started to rain about 30 minutes into the ride. I turned around, went back to LA and crate shipped my 305 to PHX.

I can't wait for my Empulse. I have the "Empulse Fly-by" you tube video saved as a favorite on my Droid. I like to listen to it fairly often----and believe it or not, I have not gotten tired of it yet. -----That sound gives me goose bumps.

Good post Brammofan. Nice to know they have the bike approved for wet weather. My ebicycle manual (Liberty stealth--http://www.iloveebikes.com/ebike443.html) says not to ride in the rain.-GSB

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 11:01:39 AM »
I ride out from Albuquerque to Phoenix once or twice a year (about 440 miles each way) to see my daughter at ASU...she graduates in Dec, so I will only take the trip when I go visit scooter friends or do the Mummy Mayham scooter ride...

http://web.me.com/gavinmcc/Site/tucson.html

Gavin

seems everytime i go in April we get a snow storm...so I ride half the trip at 6000 to 7000 feet in wind and snow...hands FREEZING when going 75 mph, then drop down in elevation heading toward phoenix and have to peel many layers.