Author Topic: Torque? Yeah we got this!  (Read 1251 times)

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Torque? Yeah we got this!
« on: September 18, 2014, 12:49:18 PM »
Loved this clip on Brammo's FB:

http://instagram.com/p/tA-xt5h_bd

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Torque? Yeah we got this!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 03:03:20 PM »
I believe that's our friend Jeff being pursued through the streets of San Francisco.

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 11:21:13 PM »
HAHAHAHA!  Oh my.

Finally captured on film . . . I have been known to now and again enjoy being a jerk around SF city streets.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 12:05:48 AM »
That's not Jeff being a jerk... that's using this fine machine as it was intended! I love that video because it so captures the experience: light about to change, ICE bike clunking into first gear getting ready, ready, then... what WAS that?!

I figure I pretty much HAVE to do hole shots whenever there's any other motos within 50 yards, just to spread the word about Brammo and electrics. Got to save the world from fossil fuel warming, pollution, and all that. Oh yeah, it's hella fun too. I shamelessly bring it to Ducati's, R1's, Corvettes, Porsches. I even bother with Harleys. Ya just GOT to EDUCATE people!

Of course when I do that in front of waif-like young women on 50 cc scooters, well, er, um, yeah, maybe I AM being a bit of a jerk, but it's still harmless fun! And at my age, it's the only way they'll look twice at me. Or once!

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 08:57:10 AM »
Always look to your left and right to check for anyone ignoring a red light before and during your launch onto the crossing...
Especially with an Empulse!
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 09:28:06 AM »
Always look to your left and right to check for anyone ignoring a red light before and during your launch onto the crossing...
Especially with an Empulse!

That is what I was thinking when I saw that video.  Especially in San Francisco, moving quickly into a signal-controlled intersection on the green light is a great way to be taken out by an SUV driver on a cell phone trying to beat the red light in the other direction.  Alternately, you might run over a pedestrian or bicyclist taking their time crossing the street who were obscured by the vehicle next to you.  In San Francisco, I never want to be the first to enter an intersection on a green light and I never want to do it quickly.  :o
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 09:50:52 AM »
Ah yes, but this is the intersection of Howard and Fremont, which is one of many in SF that triggers the pedestrian walk lights several seconds before the vehicle green lights.  You'll notice as I take off that the crosswalks to my right and left are already filled with people.  Not as worried about a red light trailblazer in that scenario.

But yep I agree -- if you can't see what is coming from all angles in an intersection, do not do this.  Taxis in particular absolutely love to dramatically fly through stoplights with little regard for the color currently illuminated.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 11:59:01 AM »
+1 on hole shot cautions. I do it quite a bit, but always only when safe. And then it feels REALLY GOOD!

Richard's point about not being the first one through an intersection also comes into play when traversing one-way streets with timed signals, like Fell or Oak Streets in SF. I'm always happy to hang back and not jump across just as I come to the fresh green light: I've seen too many close calls from cagers that just HAVE to make that late late yellow light on the cross street.

Taxis, Bimmers, Volvos seem to be in such a hurry, all to gain 30 seconds in their day! Lately I've been seeing quite a few female drivers pushing the envelope... I guess they have to compete with the young dudes. Dudettes? Then there's cyclists blasting through ALL the traffic controls. Ah, city riding is such a stream of challenging joy!

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 04:22:27 PM »
And don't forget about bicycle riders.  They have trouble seeing red and also tend to be fast movers.   :o
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

oml

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 03:53:25 AM »
well at the speed I'm cycling the red light seems to be rather green-blue ;)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 06:21:07 AM by oml »