Author Topic: First major repair.  (Read 1077 times)

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
First major repair.
« on: September 21, 2014, 09:30:16 PM »
As much as I hate to be the barer of bad news, I thought that I would share my experience of my first major Empulse repair.

The bike failed to start on July 11, and I finally got it back, fully functional, on September 19.

Read all the gory details here:
http://freepz.wordpress.com/2014/09/21/its-not-rocket-science-but-its-not-trivial-either/

(I apologize about the lack of images to break up the wall of text. I'll update that page when I have some time to spare.)
Richard #935 #595 #44

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: First major repair.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 09:33:27 AM »
If it makes you feel any better, some Zero owners have had worse problems than you and have ended up with less satisfactory results, too.   :(
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 11:19:56 AM »
I'm sorry that it took so long to get your bike sorted out.

I was also impressed with the extent to which they replaced things. Lots of new parts!

Now that you have it back and running, I hope you enjoy riding it and develop that permanent BrammoGrin.

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 06:22:37 PM »
I didn't mind waiting too much. I figured that this is the price of being an early adopter. Lots of firsts for the dealership, and probably a few for Brammo too.

One "first" in particular was the use of the towing service. The dealership didn't really know what to expect from them, so when the towing company was ready to charge me $800 to tow the bike to Tampa, the dealership was just about as shocked as I was.

It's good for the dealership to get a few repairs under their belt. It's the best way for them to learn what to expect. I hope that the next fix that they will do will go much more smoothly and take much less time.
Richard #935 #595 #44

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 11:53:32 PM »
You've got a great altitude!

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Re: First major repair.
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 04:53:53 AM »
You've got a great altitude!
Are you saying he is high?
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 07:37:34 AM »
I got the v58 (DCDC, SEVCON, 300W, EMC) error code on Mon. Sept.8th, I emailed the drive files to the dealership and Brammo on Wed. Sept. 10. I called and followed up the next week on Tues the 16th. Andres @ Unique Super Bikes said the parts would be there by the end of the week. Unfortunately I went out of town last weekend so I made an appointment for repairs this Saturday to replace that part and a flash drive. Not to bad of a turn-a-round...

I have not been riding it since I got the error code for fear of damaging something but I have to ride it to the dealership that's around 50 miles from the house. Do you think that riding your bike with this error code caused any damage to your batteries, etc.?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 07:43:43 AM by Virtually Yours »
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 09:18:45 PM »
I do wish the switches were a bit more resilient. I had an issue with my horn button that required a little bend to the connection point (performed by a visiting Brammo rep) to get working again. I have also had trouble starting on an occasion or two, which I figured had to do with the switch. The irony is the controls appear to be the exact same as on my SV, which I've never had any trouble with in the 8 years or so with the bike with multiple crashes and generally abusive use.

I suspect the laundry list of swapped parts is more for thoroughness then necessity. When I was having my ignition problems a few months into ownership Brammo swapped out the vehicle control unit, even though doing so did not solve any of the problems.

I hope all your problems are solved and you can get back to enjoying your bike!
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL