Author Topic: Removing the batteries for winter storage.  (Read 1057 times)

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Removing the batteries for winter storage.
« on: September 29, 2014, 12:27:04 PM »
I was wondering if it was possible or a good idea even to remove the batteries for winter storage. I don't have a garage so my current option is simply parking my bike in my dinning room for the winter to prevent the batteries from freezing. I'm wondering if removing the batteries and just moving them inside for the winter is a reasonable option. Would charging the batteries to full then removing them be good enough to store them for 4 months? Or would this risk damage to them?

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Removing the batteries for winter storage.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 12:37:07 PM »
Have you read this topic: http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=1887.0 ?

I would say removing the batteries is definitely not recommended.

Let's see what other folks chime in with.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 07:39:09 AM »
I was wondering if it was possible or a good idea even to remove the batteries for winter storage. I don't have a garage so my current option is simply parking my bike in my dinning room for the winter to prevent the batteries from freezing. I'm wondering if removing the batteries and just moving them inside for the winter is a reasonable option.
I wouldn't do that.
A good weather proof cover, insulated if possible and a thick wool blanket for a lil extra. Also if the weather is good but just cold and you're able to ride, plug in your bike even if fully charged about +1/2 hr before you ride. This will warm up your batteries. If you can't plug in when you get to your destination, leave your parking lights on and that may keep the batteries warm enough when you're ready to leave.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 07:48:33 AM by Virtually Yours »
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 07:20:57 PM »
If you're not going to ride it, just fine a dealer that can store it. Most dealers in the Chicagoland area charge a couple hundred for winter storage, and they "winterize" the bike before it goes in, and "unwinterize" it when you pull it out.

Otherwise get some heated gear and ride! I'm on mine until December (or I get too injured from cyclocross racing, like last year), and then on it again in February.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL