Author Topic: 2015 Zero range announced  (Read 1403 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
2015 Zero range announced
« on: September 30, 2014, 10:08:40 AM »
It looks like the 2015 Zero models have been announced:

http://insideevs.com/zero-2015-models-unveiled-new-features/

Most of the changes for 2015 appear to be chassis improvements.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

oml

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Zero range announced
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 10:40:43 AM »
jep, and an ABS :)

As the EU-Regulation concerning mandatory ABS is only for motorcycles with more than 125ccm (as that kind of classification has made any sense ever) Im quite happy that they didnt try to use the loophole.

Still, prices are completely fucking nuts. 20000 Euros (more than 25000 $)for the Zero SR with 15kwh battery pack.

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 11:43:16 AM »
I little surprised that they havent introduced anything to compete with the inevitable Brammo RR, and Mission R. A dual motor design, or something... These updates seem "meh", to me. Range is already good IMO. Lets see ICE spanking performance now. Im aching to buy (or lease) a Brammo RR already :-)

Not that my Empulse doesnt kick ass, I actually plan to keep it either way.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 11:46:59 AM by EmpulseRider »

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 12:50:35 PM »
Good article. This part sums it up:

"Basically, it looks like Zero has upgraded a lot of the fundamental “motorcycle” stuff that was less-than standard quality on the bikes.

Mechanical gear like even the bearings had been severely slammed by some notable and repeated failures.  The handling has been in the back seat to Brammo’s Empulse for a few years now, and things like throttle cutout has been notoriously problematic.  Where the 2014 SR hit the electric drivetrain out of the park, this year it looks like Zero is trying to get the rest of the bike caught up."

I'm glad to see they've addressed the poor stopping power by better brakes. And I'm a fan of ABS.

I've long wanted Brammo to feature their cool sound in their videos, instead of the standard pounding music only. I really like the FX video which has NO music and you can really hear the motor working over challenging terrain.

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 01:42:07 PM »
I expected at least a catch up in charging capabilities.
Still only 1.3kWh like the last few years  :(

In my view 6.6kWh is the minimum for any new bike. And thus Zero should have taken the opportunity to put in a 6.6kWh charger in stead of repackaging the batteries for a 10% range increase!
Faster charging makes an EV bike more useful than a little more range with only super slow charging.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 01:58:13 PM »
I think the performance of the Zero SR is about where it should be, I would not pay more for more power, but was not satisfied with the motor in the Zero S.  Outside if a race track, which the SR is not well suited, more power would only provide bragging rights. The upgraded suspension components were sorely needed and I am glad to see ABS.  It sounds like Zero was paying attention to their critics and address the most egregious issues with the exception of price and the on-board charger.  I like the modular aspect of their chargers, but they should be mountable on-board.

I think this is a very positive direction for Zero and I am looking forward to see how Brammo responds.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 03:48:12 PM »
Note that the 2015 Zeros use this Bosch ABS system.  It only acts on the front wheel.   ???

http://www.bosch-presse.de/presseforum/details.htm?txtID=6490&locale=en

I guess when the EU mandated ABS on motorcycles they didn't specify that it had to function on both wheels.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

oml

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 05:13:24 PM »
well, abs for the rear is not a tiny little bit as important as abs to the front.

another note:
they seem to have kicked out the chademo charging posibility (before: 1800$ extra, but 30m charging) ...
sadly, chademo seems kind of dead except for japan.

yet another note: the stated carrying capacity is getting ridiculous. 147kg for the 15kwh-version ... that basically makes the existence of a second seat a marketing gag.
even the 185kg of the standard version are not quite a lot. It would already restrain the possible weight of a companion if both were wearing full gear by quite a bit.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 09:14:10 PM »
I think Zero did a good job here...congrats.

My hesitations are mainly personal:

1. Never really liked the zero style...but it is improved over the first few years.
2. Love the range...dislike the price. Keep hoping it comes down. I would want the top of the line with the range extender...and at 20k or more I just would have a hard time buying a bike I wasn't thrill by the look of it. Vanity isn't evrything, but you gotta love your ride or it just doesn't feel right : ) . Still, nice range, nice top speed, improved components...good job Zero....
3. This is tougher...I think 110 is actually ok for charging....I "slow" charge like 99 percent of the time...but at 20k I want 220 charging...mostly because my next car will be electric and I will have fast charging as standard in the garage.

Still, great job Zero. Way to listen to the customers and make improvements.

If I as in the market, I would be interested. The range alone might sway me. 100 miles combined (city and highway) is the least I will accept with my next bike.
Luckily I plan to ride my Empulse for a few more years till 200 plus miles city/ 100 mile highway is standard...and the prices start coming down.

But, truthfully, I would like the range of the 2015 Zero. I have a few 100 mile rides around New Mexico and it would be killer to do them without advance planning and needing to find recharge spots... To just jump on and go without taking my charger would be sweet. And would be a big step toward replacing gas bikes as most people rides.

Always comes down to range and cost (and looks)...it's hard to make a bike that is beautiful, tough, with great range and that is affordable...

Time should help solve that...but I, as always, want it all and I want it right now :)

Thankfully my wallet doesnt let me even think of changing bikes right now...unless the RR comes out...then I might have to sell a kidney (not mine of course...but somebodies kidney)...

Gavin
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:17:43 PM by Gavin »

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 01:50:07 PM »
Still comes with the flimsy belt drive, doesn't it?
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs
shortened chain tensioner bolts

Top Case

benswing

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 04:40:16 PM »
Still comes with the flimsy belt drive, doesn't it?

Yup, flimsy belt made of bulletproof material.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 05:00:03 PM »
My belt drive seems to work just fine and I have had no problems with it.  I did purchase a replacement belt for the 2012 Zero S that I gave my daughter and the Gates belt set me back only $70 from my dealer.  As a comparison, a belt for a BMW F800ST goes for around $400, plus a couple of hours labor to install it. A good quality chain goes for around $250 and probably needs to be replaced about as often as a belt. The Zero belt can be installed by the owner without much difficulty.  I am very happy with belt drive.   :)

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 11:10:08 AM »
..the Gates belt set me back only $70 from my dealer.  As a comparison, a belt for a BMW F800ST goes for around $400, plus a couple of hours labor to install it.

Whow, what a difference in price!

A good quality chain goes for around $250 and probably needs to be replaced about as often as a belt. The Zero belt can be installed by the owner without much difficulty.  I am very happy with belt drive.   :)
A good quality chain will outlast the bike with a modern chain lube system, and I've seen chain conversion kits offered on the Zero site.
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs
shortened chain tensioner bolts

Top Case

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 04:58:06 PM »
My bike's (the one's that have them) use either a 525 or a 530 X ring chain.  Those sizes are more expensive than the 520 size.  But no doubt I could pay less.  I just am not very good at finding the best prices.

The chain conversions on the Zero site are for people riding in a lot of dirt or gravel.  Off road, chains are a better choice as belts can be damaged by rocks getting between the belt teeth and the cog wheels.