Author Topic: Empulse Chain Replacement  (Read 1954 times)

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
Empulse Chain Replacement
« on: October 06, 2014, 01:53:55 PM »
Has anybody replaced the chain on their Empulse yet?

My chain has a rather bad kink in it, and no amount of lube is improving the situation. It's so bad that there is a 1/8 inch (~3 mm) gap between the bad link and the rear sprocket. I can even feel a nudge every time the chain goes around, and it's making a bit of a grinding noise.

It's a bit of a bummer considering I have only about 12k on that chain, while my other bike has a heck of a lot more miles and no chain problems.

So, any words of wisdom about replacing the chain?
Richard #935 #595 #44

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Empulse Chain Replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 05:06:20 PM »
Have you tired a thorough cleaning with kerosene and then blow it dry with compressed air, followed by lubing it and working the stiff link by hand?

I replaced mine at around 14K for 3 stiff links, but still within wear limits. I took the opportunity to increase the rear sprocket to 42T and bought a DID 520VX2 X-Ring Chain.

In addition to replacing the front sprocket (which looked OK, but I always replace both sprockets with new chains), I also installed a Tutoro chain oiler because I read on the interwebs that oilers can increase chain life by 2 to 3 times. So far (5K miles) I had to adjust the new chain one time. I really like the oiler.

My searching the interwebs for average moto chain life leads me to believe that 15K is about average, so yours are in the ball park.

Do you ride in the rain? Do you like hole shots?  I do, and both will shorten chain life.

Aligning the chain in sprockets when adjusting is important. I found a tool online that clamps on to the rear sprocket and sends a small rod down along the chain so I can sight it straight with my eye.

Also do you use a stiff bristle brush to clean your chain? I read that using one is OK if you just brush the side plates, but if you apply it onto the rollers, the bristles can damage the o-rings.

For me, the bottom line is a new chain is cheap peace of mind, because a broken chain at highway speed is not at all pretty.

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 05:13:37 AM »
A stiff link is caused by a damaged O-ring (or X-Z ring)
The captured grease escapes and moisture enters, rust is developing and causing the stiff link.
A brownish deposit can sometimes be seen on the sideplates too.
The chain needs to be replaced.
Premature wear of O-rings can be caused by brushing or even by chain wax capturing dust and dirt, acting like an abrasive.

A chain oiler is the solution, it will keep the O-rings healthy and the chain lubricated.
I am a big fan of Pro-Oiler chain lube systems, because they lubricate automatically depending on speed.
So at a traffic light: no lubrication at all, and the faster you go, the more oil...
That's why it is very economical with oil too, it uses just 100ml. every 3000 miles. (better for the environment too than using spray cans)
The speed is monitored by an integrated GPS module. (or you can buy the cheaper versions with a reed switch and magnet)
In the rain you can boost lubrication while you are riding.

(check out my post on installation on my Empulse R)

With the oiler I managed about 60K miles on a single chain on previous bikes.
Before that, using chain wax, it was just 12-16K miles.
There's also a lot of difference in quality between chain brands too, I prefer DID and RK chains.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 05:17:57 AM by JeffK »
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs
shortened chain tensioner bolts

Top Case

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 02:59:52 PM »
I've found another benefit of using an oiler is that I don't need to use a stiff brush to clean the chain and don't risk damaging the o-x-z-whatever rings. There's no buildup of crud, because the oil doesn't have to be super tacky to stay in place between sprayings and therefore doesn't collect dirt. When I infrequently clean my chain now, I just wipe it down with some rags. This is just for cosmetic reasons whenever I wash my bike.

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 01:13:13 AM »
I've found another benefit of using an oiler is that I don't need to use a stiff brush to clean the chain and don't risk damaging the o-x-z-whatever rings. There's no buildup of crud, because the oil doesn't have to be super tacky to stay in place between sprayings and therefore doesn't collect dirt. When I infrequently clean my chain now, I just wipe it down with some rags. This is just for cosmetic reasons whenever I wash my bike.

Same experience here, and it is hard to explain to people who ride on dirt/dusty roads.
They are convinced "Thou shouldst not lubricate chains on dirt roads" because the dirt will accumulate/stick to the chain wax.
I explain I use plain engine oil in the reservoir, it is not sticky and "washes" the dirt away.
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs
shortened chain tensioner bolts

Top Case

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 05:29:43 PM »
All you chain oiler nuts are starting to convince me. Oh, the humanity!
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 11:54:08 AM »

I replaced mine at around 14K for 3 stiff links, but still within wear limits. I took the opportunity to increase the rear sprocket to 42T and bought a DID 520VX2 X-Ring Chain.

How do you like the chain so far? Mine is up for replacement and I want to go to 42 tooth rear sprocket too.
How many links do you have on that setup?
Thanks
Once you go EV, gas is history!

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 06:30:33 PM »
So I did some google work and found a few suppliers in the Netherlands that sell the correct rear sprockets. The trick is to search for "Marchesini tandwiel".

Specs in Dutch (for my own reference...)
Steek: 100mm, 5x 10.5mm boutgaten.
Naafgat: 76mm.
Maat: 520

But I could not find the specs for the front sprocket. Can anybody point me to the right specs?
Thanks
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 01:37:34 AM »

How do you like the chain so far? Mine is up for replacement and I want to go to 42 tooth rear sprocket too.
How many links do you have on that setup?
Thanks

Sorry I didn't see this post until tonight. The chain has been holding up really well, but then that may be mostly due to the Tutoro oiler. The chain has 86 links.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 01:39:54 AM »
But I could not find the specs for the front sprocket. Can anybody point me to the right specs?

I couldn't find much information on the front sprocket either, so I just ordered a replacement from Brammo, but that was before the Great Transition.  Presumably Victory should have them?