Author Topic: First Transmission Oil Change  (Read 1622 times)

Roland Stone

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
First Transmission Oil Change
« on: October 07, 2014, 11:11:21 PM »
Having read somewhere herein about a guy having done his first trans oil change finding “chunks” on the magnetic drain plug, made me decide doing my first oil change early, - at 97 hours.  It’s only oil and the procedure is a piece of cake.  Considering that the new transmission was probably swirling with bits of shaved off metal bits, thought I’d like to clean house early to get a feel for what size/shape particles were picked up by the magnetic plug in the first few hours of gear grinding and missed shifts.  Happy to report there was only a relatively small amount of “fuzz” covering the magnetic tip, - no chunks with numbers.  Cleaned the plug with alcohol and removed the remaining metal fuzz with masking tape which I find doesn’t transfer the sticky to the plug, reinstalled the drain plug and filled up with one of the recommended oils, Repsol.  It comes in 1 liter bottles with a cute plastic filler straw that pulls out from the cap. Chose the Repsol because the 1 liter bottle eliminates any guessing, - it’s 1 liter out, 1 liter in.  Using quart quantity bottles, you have to add just a squiz more oil from a new bottle which entails monitoring the oil piss hole for proper level.  A comment on the drain plug copper crush gasket/washer, - it's soft.  Had to reuse mine because my order for spares hadn't arrived yet, but don't think I'll be using the original for a third time.  Suggest ordering a half dozen well ahead of your scheduled oil change. 

Got a little weary trying to match the required oil specs (as found in the Owner's Manual) with actual product and was finally able getting actual product information from Brammo Service as follows:

Composition Requirements:
•        Synthetic
•        SAE 10W-30 weight oil.
•        Detergent free.
•        Wet clutch compatible.
•        JASO-MA/MA1/MA2

Here is a list of Brammo Approved oils;

Approved Oil Listing by Brand Name:
•        Amsoil Synthetic SAE10W-30 API-GL1 API-SL JASO-MA2 Motorcycle Oil (Wet Clutch Approved).
•        Lucas Synthetic SAE10W-30 API-SL Motorcycle Oil (Wet Clutch Approved).
•        Castrol Power 1 4T SAE10W-30 API-SJ JASO-MA2 Motorcycle Oil (Wet Clutch Approved).
•        Motorex Top Speed 4T Synthetic SAE10W-30 API-SL JASO-MA Motorcycle Oil (Wet Clutch Approved).
•        Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T SAE10W-30 API-SL JASO-MA2 Motorcycle Oil (Wet Clutch Approved).
•        Repsol Moto Racing HMEOC 4T SAE10W-30 API-SJ JASO-MA Motorcycle Oil (Wet Clutch Approved).

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: First Transmission Oil Change
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 11:18:51 PM »
Great information, Roland. Thanks for sharing.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 01:24:23 AM »
Thanks Roland,

I've read on other forums some people are suprised there are particles on the magnetic drain plug.
Digging in deeper they admit they are used to Japanese and Euro bikes, where all the engine oil (that is also lubricating the gears) is pumped trough an oil filter, so all particles are in there!

fuzzy drain plugs are common in bikes with separate gear boxes, especially when new.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 01:26:19 AM by JeffK »
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs
shortened chain tensioner bolts

Top Case

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 09:08:53 AM »
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Consultec

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
First Transmission Oil Change
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 09:27:04 AM »

Had the recall done on my bike after the first week owning it. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2014 Empulse R (Red), 2010 Enertia (Burnt Orange), 2000 BMW R1200C, 2010 Enertia (Red) coming for wife.

willss01

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 02:50:48 AM »
I have always swapped out my stock oil plugs for magnetic, are the stock plugs magnetic for the brammo/empulse? or what size should I order/find?
2002 Impreza
2003 Jetta *
2002 1100 vstar
1986 Nighthawk *
1991 SVX *
2006 Rebel
1981 Seca * & **

*still owned
**doesn't run / unwanted step-motorcycle-child
"I'ts not me, it's the world that's crazy!" -Scott Pilgrim

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 02:56:40 AM »
I have always swapped out my stock oil plugs for magnetic, are the stock plugs magnetic for the brammo/empulse? or what size should I order

Stock Brammo plug is magnetic
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs
shortened chain tensioner bolts

Top Case