Author Topic: "hot" 12V connection  (Read 1193 times)

Roland Stone

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
"hot" 12V connection
« on: October 21, 2014, 10:03:11 PM »
Could get a significant break on my bike insurance if I were to install a burglar alarm but would need a “hot” 12V connection to provide a continuous primary alarm power source. I know of the provided “accessory” (live when ignition is on) 2-pin white nylon molex type connector under the seat, but per Brammo Service, there’s no factory provided 12V hot source. 

If anyone has done a splice to make a hot 2-pin connection I would really appreciate the details.

Thanks

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: "hot" 12V connection
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 04:31:02 AM »
If I was to install an alarm like that, I connect a rechargeable battery to the accessoire plug.
While riding/charging the battery would be kept in good condition.
Parked you'll switch on the alarm and it would be powered by the 12V battery.
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs
shortened chain tensioner bolts

Top Case

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 01:56:39 PM »
Another solution might be to install a 2nd 12V DC/DC converter that is wired directly to the HV battery and manually switched off/on. It would add a little bit of additional drain if left on, even if no 12V power is being drawn, and it may or may not void your warranty.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Roland Stone

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 07:48:12 AM »
protomech”, - if I had the slightest idea what a 12V DC/DC Converter was, - what function it serves in the Empulse design, I’d at least know if your suggestion were a doable option with my limited electric knowledge.  But as with quite a few other electric/electronic Empulse components, their description and application aren’t in any Brammo literature I’ve got, so accordingly, I and other Empulse owners remain largely technologically EV ignorant as Brammo apparently wants to keep it