Author Topic: Brammo Secret Library  (Read 1180 times)

Roland Stone

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
Brammo Secret Library
« on: October 24, 2014, 06:04:18 AM »
Does anyone know if there are Empulse components that draw parasitic power when the ignition is off? 

Or,

is this another question hidden in the large library of Brammo proprietary unknowns??? [/size][/size]

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Brammo Secret Library
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 10:16:37 AM »
Are you asking because you charge at night to 100% and then it is at 98% the next morning? This is a common characteristic of Lithium Ion batteries.

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 11:51:25 AM »
Speaking from an EE point of view:

There is very little being drawn when the bike is off, but some power is likely being used for powering the ECU once in a while. They likely have a "wakeup" mode, where it wakes up every now and then, looks at the battery voltages, other various things, and then goes to sleep. This is in the milliamps, and likely takes only a few seconds and doesn't noticeably drain the battery. As far as I know, no other devices on the bike would be powered.

If you're seeing a SOC lower than you left it the night before, its likely because the battery voltage settle a little. Calculating the SOC is pretty much magic in my opinion. Its like trying to shoot a moving target while you're riding backwards and upside down on a horse that is running around a race track. Its not easy to hit the target and many times, estimations are used. As the voltage settles a little after a full charge, the SOC equation calculates a different result. There's nothing wrong with this, its just the nature of the beast, and I've seen it in ALL EV's that I've driven to some degree.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 12:41:25 PM »
Almost every morning,  my SOC is 98. I roll down a block-long hill in 2nd gear and am at 100% at the bottom. Close enough.

Roland Stone

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 01:27:44 PM »
Guys, - Thanks taking the time to reply. 

What I'm trying to figure out in a "back-door" way is how to tap into some hot system component in order coming up with a "hot 12V accessory connection needed for installing a Scorpio i900 alarm system.  But, that's looking like a bad idea (we try).   A respondent to my recent post for a hot connection suggested a rechargable in-line aux battery to satisfy the alarm power demand when the warning siren is going off.  The suggestion was appreciated but the aux battery was more involved than I wanted getting into and what would normally be a straight forward alarm installation is just getting too complicated as concerns the Empulse.  Too bad, - it looks like a good alarm system and small price to pay for some additional security beyond the OEM triple-tree forks lock. 

I know there's an ignition-on 12V accessory connecton but the alarm system requires a cigarette lighter type hot connection for the installation.

So, thanks anyway.  Another Brammo brick wall that I love banging my head against.

Roland Stone

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 01:39:15 PM »
PS - in case anyone's wondering, the following is a link for the Scorpio i900 alarm system..........

http://ridescorpio.com/shop/scorpio-secure/

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 01:57:24 PM »
The issue with this, is that even if you DO find a hot connection, you risk running the battery down past its limits if it stays on as a parasitic load. There would be nothing there to disconnect the battery from the alarm.

What I would suggest, is a small 12V battery that can run it for 24 hours, that plugs into your device AND to the 12V accessory supply. When bike is on, battery recharges. When bike is charging, it recharges. When bike is off, the alarm uses the 12V battery. It can be lead acid, or a small lifepo4 pack.

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 03:40:47 PM »
Is it an insurance requirement? I had to deal with that too for my insurance. I wanted a theft insurance because I regularly park in Amsterdam and they demanded that I installed a GPS tracking device with alarm.
We had quite a discussion with our insurer but after we threatened to cancel all our policies with them they agreed to insure the bike without it.
So maybe if it is an insurance thing you could shop around for another insurer...
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 08:50:16 PM »
My approach doesn't have the FM system, but it costs 1/3 as much:

http://xenasecurity.com/xx-series-disc-lock-alarms/xx14/

It is very loud.

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 12:27:52 PM »
+1 on that. I use my lock when I go downtown. I have the adapter to install a cable that I wrap through the rear wheel. Also got a orange cord to hook through and onto my throttle, so I don't get on without disabling it. The thing is REALLY loud. Its a good deterrent and its a pain to get off without the key :)