Author Topic: Re: Empulse Burglar Alarm  (Read 2377 times)

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Empulse Burglar Alarm
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 12:34:35 AM »
I like it just fine. Works just as advertised.

I don't use it a lot, because I park all over San Francisco and don't feel the need for it most of the time. But when I use it, I do find it handy. I don't bother rocking it to seat the pin through the rotor hole... I figure that if anyone moves the bike, the pin will find the hole quickly enough.

I found an aluminum collar through which I dropped a large stainless bolt to hold it in place by dropping the bolt down the steering tube hole. Gravity keeps it there. When locking, I take collar off the bolt and place it in recess of the ignition switch as a reminder that the lock is in place.

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2014, 01:18:29 PM »
The model that fits the Brembo brakes is proving to be more elusive than I had hoped.  I contacted the ebay seller and he said he only had the Japanese, or metric bikes left.  Everywhere else I found at a reasonable price was out of stock, hopefully that means they are becoming more popular, not that they are being discontinued.

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 05:42:16 PM »
I was finally able to find a Roadlok at a reasonable price, had to order it from Australia though.  In any case, it arrived yesterday and only took a few minutes to install.  Thanks Shinysideup for providing the proper torque values.

So far I am happy with it, it is much nicer to carry than trying to figure out where to put my Kryptonite disk-lock when I don't have the tail pack on the bike any my weekend leathers don't have any suitable pockets or belt loops.  The Kryptonite lock has been given back to to my ICE bike.  I also like the fact that it provides a nice parking brake once engaged. 

I am used to always using the disk lock, even when not needed.  It keeps this as part of my routine and hopefully I will never experience what happens when you forget to take it off.

Chocula

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 07:01:10 PM »
Why wasn't it available from the roadlok.com website itself?  What was the reasonable price?  Roadlok is asking $279 for black and $299 for gold with $14 shipping from Santa Monica.
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 07:50:02 PM »
I am used to always using the disk lock, even when not needed.  It keeps this as part of my routine and hopefully I will never experience what happens when you forget to take it off.

Not much. The wheel can't rotate at all, so when you give it throttle... nothing will happen, other than no go. (An ICE would stall.)

I've always come up with some gizmo to cover the ignition key slot when I used a disck lock, though those coily bright orange cords work too, and may proclaim that your bike has a lock in use, so lazy thieves can quickly move on to lower-hanging fruit.

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2015, 07:21:38 PM »
Next came the torque spec label on the inside of the box: 36.5 ft. lbs. (49.5 Nm) I didn't trust it. Where did they get it? Was it as accurate as the label on the spacer set? So I called my local Brammo dealer's service dept. who looked up the proper value: 25 Nm. Quite a difference.
The owners manual lists a torque value of 46 Nm for these bolts on page 62 and confirmed in the service manual which has much better pictures.

Chocula

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2015, 11:05:22 PM »
Why wasn't it available from the roadlok.com website itself?  What was the reasonable price?  Roadlok is asking $279 for black and $299 for gold with $14 shipping from Santa Monica.
Sorry I missed your post earlier.  It ended up being just under $150 after shipping.

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2015, 05:01:11 AM »
Sorry I missed your post earlier.  It ended up being just under $150 after shipping.

Hmmm... That can fit in the "discretionary gadget" budget... ;)
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2015, 12:56:26 PM »
Next came the torque spec label on the inside of the box: 36.5 ft. lbs. (49.5 Nm) I didn't trust it. Where did they get it? Was it as accurate as the label on the spacer set? So I called my local Brammo dealer's service dept. who looked up the proper value: 25 Nm. Quite a difference.
The owners manual lists a torque value of 46 Nm for these bolts on page 62 and confirmed in the service manual which has much better pictures.

Chocula

Thanks for correcting that. I hadn't seen those torque values in the new manual; in the preliminary manual, they were all gathered together into a chart. I will re-torque my bolts and put some thread locker on them.

Sabinn

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 12:59:16 AM »
Thank you for the Roadlok info in this thread. It made purchasing the correct model and installation a breeze :)