Author Topic: What info is shown here?  (Read 929 times)

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
What info is shown here?
« on: November 02, 2014, 10:45:53 AM »
Hi, I tried to set the winter time this weekend (without reading the manual first) and stumbled across this screen.

Some info I understand like V = Voltage ⚡, I = Current and SOC is state of charge but the rest?
B = something to do with cell balancing??
The top line makes no sense to me at all.

In the end I managed to set the time too :D

Sorry for the small photo but Flickr doesn't seem to support direct linking anymore for bigger sizes.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: What info is shown here?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 01:08:39 PM »
H22:4.146 Means that cell group #22 of the series string is the highest, and shows its voltage.
L24:4.132 Means that cell group #24 of the series string is the lowest, and shows its voltage.
V:115 is the voltage of the pack
I:00 is the current of the pack
SOC: State of charge
BAL.............A, shows which of the cells have their balancers turned on. I'm pretty sure an A indicates its "Active". I don't know if each "." is a cell group or not, but it basically just shows the balancers being turned on.

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 02:49:26 PM »
Hi Frodus, many thanks for the info!
Just one more thing.
I took this picture after the charging stopped. (the clipper creek switched off but still plugged in) So balancing was not from the charger. Does that mean that the battery also does balancing on another level?

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 11:20:52 PM »
Hi Frodus, many thanks for the info!
Just one more thing.
I took this picture after the charging stopped. (the clipper creek switched off but still plugged in) So balancing was not from the charger. Does that mean that the battery also does balancing on another level?

Absolutely. The modules are all capable of passive and active balancing.  The active balancing occurs at the top of the charge, even if current is 0.  The Empulse is the only electric vehicle I know of that has a battery system that employs an active balancing scheme.  This allows the parallel cell stacks within each module to "shuttle" or transfer current between each other to balance the module.  The internal cell heaters are used for the larger "gross adjustment" that occurs from one module to the next (passive balancing). 

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 04:01:24 AM »
Hi Brian, that sounds like a very clever solution. And thanks for sharing this information to help us understand our bikes better!

trox_355

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 09:35:24 PM »
Good info.  I had wondered that, myself.

Now, any insight as to the info shown on successive screens when in this diagnostic menu and holding down the right (green) button?  I'm guessing some versioning or some such?

The screens differ depending on if the bike is in charge mode or "on" mode.

2013 model, here.