Author Topic: New Brammo rider in Philadelphia  (Read 3995 times)

roma258

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: New Brammo rider in Philadelphia
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 07:54:21 PM »
Well, the charger's here! Bike's still a few weeks away.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 09:54:11 PM »
I hate waiting; even my microwave takes too long to heat coffee!

Post more pix when she arrives!

And thanks for joining me in combat on the recent Livewire comment page. Those sure were a couple of persistent quasi-intellectual trolls!

Pouring rain (finally!) in San Francisco. Empulse still works, even if a troll called me stupid AND stubborn for riding in it. ::)

roma258

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 09:08:43 AM »
I hate waiting; even my microwave takes too long to heat coffee!

Post more pix when she arrives!

And thanks for joining me in combat on the recent Livewire comment page. Those sure were a couple of persistent quasi-intellectual trolls!

Pouring rain (finally!) in San Francisco. Empulse still works, even if a troll called me stupid AND stubborn for riding in it. ::)
Ha, guess I'm officially enlisted in the emoto couch army. As far as waiting for the bike, it's not so bad since I pretty much stop riding street once it hits below 40. Broke my hand during prime riding season in October...now that suuuucked!

roma258

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2015, 07:44:58 PM »
Bike's here!! Not sure if this qualifies as Brammo grin, or "sleep deprived, battling a cold, but still super stoked" grin, but there it is.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 07:48:22 PM by roma258 »

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2015, 07:53:58 PM »
That's a beauty. Congratulations!

roma258

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 08:13:17 AM »
Quick story, my riding buddy who I've known for years is not a guy who holds back on his opinions, but he knows his stuff. Yesterday was the first time he got a chance to take the Brammo for a quick spin. He came back grinning ear to ear, had no idea it'd be that quick. "This completely changes my opinion of electric bikes"and "This thing has some big boy stuff on it." Ofcourse than he goes on to say "WTF is the point of the clutch?" and "Shame about the range". But it's cool to see someone you know well "get it".

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 12:43:42 PM »
Yes, the BrammoGrin is contagious!

Clutch? Helps in down shifting.

Range? Not a problem if you use the bike to meet your needs and your needs are within its range. After 23K miles, I've actually run out of charge about the same as I ran out gas on my BMW: once. And even then, I made it home after waiting a bit. Can't do that with gas!

roma258

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 02:29:30 PM »
Yes, the BrammoGrin is contagious!

Heh that was pretty much my explanation. Looking forward to our local Tuesday hang where everyone is gonna lose their shit  ;D

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2015, 04:27:04 PM »

And any rare times that you want to just coast.

This is my one issue with the "has a transmission so it will be familiar to ICE riders" marketing bullet point.  Yes, it's possible to ride it and shift it just like an ICE, but it will be quirky, spin to redline a lot, and act all sorts of crunchy.  It does tie in to that muscle memory quite a bit, but you need to know a few differences to really be happy with it:

- Don't use clutch at stop or to launch.  It's unnecessary and detrimental.
- Don't use clutch to upshift unless/until you learn to power shift it, then never again.
- You can learn to not use it on downshifts, but it's not much of an issue either way.
- Don't upshift prematurely, target 5000RPM. Higher RPMs are often more efficient with more torque.
- Roll back 1-2 inches at a stop to eliminate drivetrain clunk completely.

- (Early on I sometimes used the clutch when parking or maneuvering in garage to prevent accidental throttle input.  I dropped the bike once by not realizing I was twisting the throttle while parking until I got more used to the live throttle.)
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

roma258

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2015, 05:33:56 PM »

And any rare times that you want to just coast.

This is my one issue with the "has a transmission so it will be familiar to ICE riders" marketing bullet point.  Yes, it's possible to ride it and shift it just like an ICE, but it will be quirky, spin to redline a lot, and act all sorts of crunchy.  It does tie in to that muscle memory quite a bit, but you need to know a few differences to really be happy with it:

- Don't use clutch at stop or to launch.  It's unnecessary and detrimental.
- Don't use clutch to upshift unless/until you learn to power shift it, then never again.
- You can learn to not use it on downshifts, but it's not much of an issue either way.
- Don't upshift prematurely, target 5000RPM. Higher RPMs are often more efficient with more torque.
- Roll back 1-2 inches at a stop to eliminate drivetrain clunk completely.

- (Early on I sometimes used the clutch when parking or maneuvering in garage to prevent accidental throttle input.  I dropped the bike once by not realizing I was twisting the throttle while parking until I got more used to the live throttle.)
The test ride was weird, and I kept clutching at stops and when starting again. But it's a really quick adjustment. I seriously love not having to use the clutch at stops, especially living in the city. The highway ride was interesting. There really didn't seem much of a difference between 4th and 6th. In fact I actually preferred 4th. But I'm still squarely in my experimental phase with the bike.

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2015, 06:50:35 PM »
The test ride was weird, and I kept clutching at stops and when starting again. But it's a really quick adjustment. I seriously love not having to use the clutch at stops, especially living in the city. The highway ride was interesting. There really didn't seem much of a difference between 4th and 6th. In fact I actually preferred 4th. But I'm still squarely in my experimental phase with the bike.
I would refer you back to the rule I left quoted above.  The table of best RPM for efficiency and power are in the Wiki at this link:

http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Empulse_Motor_Efficiency

If you have a non-R then you can aim higher than 5k for more power and settle back on a gear where you are closest to 5k for efficiency.  But if you have an R, then it is 5k for everything.

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 06:53:39 PM »
In general, a quick read-through of the Operation section of the Wiki gets you a bunch of tips fairly quickly:

http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Operation

(The "roll back a little at a stop" tip is wonderful for eliminating the clunk accelerating from a stop, for instance...)

roma258

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2015, 08:06:29 AM »
In general, a quick read-through of the Operation section of the Wiki gets you a bunch of tips fairly quickly:

http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Operation

(The "roll back a little at a stop" tip is wonderful for eliminating the clunk accelerating from a stop, for instance...)
Good stuff, thanks for posting. So quick update, took the Brammo to our local Two Wheel Tuesday hang, everyone freaked out. Not used to my bike getting this kind of attention. I'm sure this is nothing new to most of the poster's here. Another buddy took it out and came back with a huge grin, couldn't stop talking about how awesome it is. I'm sure this will get old hat at some point  :)