Author Topic: It's COLD! (and associated challenges)  (Read 804 times)

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
It's COLD! (and associated challenges)
« on: December 17, 2014, 04:45:30 PM »
I'm pushing my luck up here in Chicago. Monday was a pretty nice day, so I road to work. And by nice I mean 40 degrees and raining. I chickened out yesterday as the forecast was calling for falling temperatures throughout the day, and snow on the commute home. It didn't snow. O-well.

But today it was nice again, as in not snowing and 20 degrees. So out comes the Empulse, and heated gear and snowmobile suit. I get to work after 17 miles, but my key won't come out. After about a minute of turning and pulling, I finally force it. I set my calendar to remind me to to turn on the parking lights to get the battery warming up a half an hour before I plan on leaving. That reminder hit about 15 minutes ago. To my surprise, the key goes in, but does not turn. Back up to the cube farm to ponder. None of my coworkers have WD-40 or rubbing alcohol, but I get a couple dabs of hand sanitizer on the key and head back down. After a minute, I finally get the key to turn. I'm not sure if it was the hand sanitizer, or the fact I was working my way through Brammo's phone tree, but it looks like I'll make it home under my own power. Hopefully there's no damage to the ignition switch!

I'll have to remember to shoot some WD-40 into the ignition if I ride in the rain immediately before the temps will drop below freezing. And maybe I'll get a few more weeks of riding!

Happy Holiday riding everyone!
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: It's COLD! (and associated challenges)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 05:05:58 PM »
Might want to try powdered graphite instead of WD40 - just saying.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 06:14:24 PM »
I want something to melt the ice or remove the water. I'm not concerned with lubricating the cylinder.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 12:50:45 PM »
Off topic, but the best lock product I've found (better than graphite) is a spray called "Houdini" available at mylockstore.com. Locksmiths swear by it and all my locks work like butta.

Athlon

• Enciter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 07:54:54 AM »
is a common problem on cold country  , another solution is also to heat up the key with a lighter.

much better than WD-40 is the CRC 5-56