Author Topic: State by State Incentives website?  (Read 3777 times)

SamM

• Going GREEN!
  • Enertia Master
    • View Profile
State by State Incentives website?
« on: May 28, 2010, 08:54:17 PM »
Is there a website that lists incentives state by state? It looks like West Virginia offers a $3750 tax credit for alternative-fuel vehicles of 10,000 lbs or less. If that's true, then I am definiately interested in purchasing a Brammo Enertia.

Again, thanks for any help!

SamM

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: State by State Incentives website?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 09:19:30 PM »
Hi Sam -

This would be a good place to start the search:
http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/fuels/electricity_laws.html

I don't see anything like that incentive you mention for West Virginia, though.  What's your source?
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

SamM

• Going GREEN!
  • Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 04:22:01 PM »
Brammofan,
It appears that these incentives expired in 2006. Recently, heard that they renewed the program but I can't find anything about it. Electric powered vehicles are covered. I'm trying very hard to justify this purchase! Sometimes you've just got to say... what the hay!

SamM

http://www.whybuyhybrid.com/West-Vairginia-Hybrid-vehicle-purchase-Tax-Incentives.htm

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 04:37:02 PM »
Well, maybe this will help with the justification.  It is from BrammoBrian's signature on another forum.  He updates it with his current mileage:

Brian Wismann
Director of Product Development for Brammo, Inc.
www.brammo.com

Current Enertia (personal) Mileage: 1,854 miles
Gallons of gas NOT consumed (19 mpg city): 97.6 gal
Trips to gas station avoided (14.5 gal tank): 7
Money saved on (premium $2.95/gal) gas: $287.85USD
Estimated Electricity Cost (@ $.01/mile): $18.54

See... you're saving money with every trip, and your saving the environment.  What the hey?
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

SamM

• Going GREEN!
  • Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 07:29:34 PM »
Well, I already ride a motorcycle and my yearly fuel cost to commute is around $480. The payback for buying the Enertia is about 15 years for me. Since I have a zero carbon footprint already, it's kind of hard to justify. My out of pocket will be $9000 and that will buy a lot of fuel. My worry is that gasoline supplies will be cut or stopped and I'll be left walking 18.9 miles to work. Of course, that's a worst case scenario but it could happen. I'm currently building a diesel powered motorcycle that will get over 125+ mpg. It would cost a lot less to finish that project up.

The cool factor has me really wanting the Enertia though!

SamM 

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 10:13:07 AM »
Don't forget that every Enertia owner is eligible for the Federal 10% tax credit.  So that's $795 you'll get back at tax time.  You'll also receive a $160 Best Buy Rewards card, which is helpful for picking up a digitial camera to take pictures of your shiny new Enertia! 

Sam - While I do understand that your current motorcycle (is it a KLR650?) greatly reduces your carbon footprint for commuting, I just want to point out that the Enertia will net you the equivalent of over 430 mpg in energy usage efficiency.  Just as your diesel project is a huge step beyond your gas bike, the Enertia is another level beyond that as well. I agree that the range limits it's usage as an "around town" and commuting bike, but I think you'd be surprised at how well it performs this task.  Think about it the next time you're riding into work... What if I didn't have to warm my bike up before I pulled away from the house?  What if I didn't have to clutch and shift?  What if I didn't have this thumper vibrating the bars and bike? 

You also strike me as somebody that's interested in new technologies. As the EV industry evolves, I think Enertia owners will have a leg up on the general public on what's important and relevant in EV technology.

Also... A quick note about "projects" and costs.  Your diesel motorcycle project is only going to cost you less than $9k because you don't pay yourself anything to work on it.  I have built and worked on many "one-off" vehicles from small cars to motorcycles and have spent time figuring out the true cost of these projects.  In almost every case, the cost is much higher than just the parts that you've bought or services you've bartered from your friends.  Figure out the number of hours it has taken to get to the stage you're at and then pay yourself a low, but reasonable shop rate and then you'll know the true cost.     

SamM

• Going GREEN!
  • Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 01:46:10 AM »
BrammoBrian,
My concern is the current range of the Enertia. Cycle World reported a 29 mile range in some of their testing. If that's a true number, that's a concern. I would not be able to use it for errands to town and back unless, I could find a place to recharge the bike. I happily do not live "in town". I live 18.9 miles from town on 107 acres. My employer will let me charge the bike at work but unless it would have at least a 40 mile range, I could not use it on days that I don't work. Another factor is that I would still have $9000 out of pocket to purchase the Enertia. $9000 will buy a lot of gasoline for my current bike. The $160 Best Buy card would be nice but I already have digital cameras. Bought one last year before a trip to the Galapogos Islands. I'm sure Best Buy has something that I need though. ::) I'm familiar with SOME of the incentives programs, as my wife is an accountant and we have taken advantage of the Energy Star incentives with our new passive solar GREEN home. Incentives on vehicles is something new to me and I don't know much about what is available.

Yes, my current bike is an '08 KLR650. Probably my last new gas powered motorcycle. An EV motorcycle would definiately be a big step in the right direction for me. Can't wait to get my hands on one. To be totally honest, I had pretty much decided that I would just build one but again the range is a concern. The diesel motorcycle was going to be first, as I wait for battery technology to catch up. Recently, I have signed an online petition to not buy another new gasoline powered vehicle. A pledge that I plan to stand by. Unfortunately, last week my 300,000 mile 1999 Dodge Neon R/T was destroyed and I had to buy a used Saturn SL-2 to use as my new workcar. That petition also includes new gasoline powered motorcycles. There just isn't anything out there that trips my trigger as far as new cars or motorcycles go. Detroit keeps trying to shove these overpriced SUVs and trucks down our throats. Everyone that I work with has a brand new truck that gets less than 13 mpg. I just can't do that! I absolutely HATE buying gasoline. I believe that electric power is our future and I'd like to get a jump on it. Until what I want hits the market Detroit will not be getting any more of my money. I will Recycle and Reuse older cars or make what I need.

The cost of the diesel KLR project is really irrelevant to me. There is not an affordable diesel bike on the market. I can't really add up the costs, but will try. I part out motorcycles on eBay and do very well for myself. Buy low and sell at reasonable price but I always try to stay ahead of the curve, so far I have. Most of my diesel parts are being recycled from my gas-powered KLR, which I have upgraded with new forks, frame, rotors, wheels, etc... The diesel bike will not have a clutch and will use a totally automatic transmission. Here's a list of some of my parts and a couple pictures:

Air-cooled Winsun 456cc diesel engine... $750
2008 KLR650 frame... free
2007 KLR650 swingarm... $20
2007 KLR650 fuel tank... $40
2008 KLR650 forks & axle... takeoff (free)
2008 KLR rear wheel... free
1985 KLR600 aluminum subframe and seat... $40
1985 KLR600 rear axle... $20
ProCycle wiring harness, w/headlight and ignition switches... $150
2008 KLR650 brake rotors... free
2008 KLR650 brake calipers... free
10 hours of frame work @ $40hr... $400

Total... $1420

SamM

SamM

• Going GREEN!
  • Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 02:12:50 AM »
The Brammo Enertia is a very cool motorcycle. I do not want anyone to think that I doubt the technology that has gone into this motorcycle. The concept and execution of the Enertia is right on the money. The bike is very stylish and up to date, to me. I see the throwback to yesteryear in it's design simplicity but in a new updated form with the extruded frame. Honestly, I love it and I'd love to have one.

Getting away from gasoline is very important to me. If I can work it out and the bike will work for me, count me in. As battery costs come down, I'm sure the price will drop. I may have to wait awhile for that to happen! I'd also like to see the range go up to around 75 to 80 miles on a full charge.

SamM