Author Topic: European EV sales numbers  (Read 920 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
European EV sales numbers
« on: January 21, 2015, 10:35:11 AM »
Here is a link to an interesting article regarding electric motorcycle and scooter sales in France and a few other European countries.  It looks like the BMW C-Evolution scooter is selling very well, while other brands, including Brammo and Zero, not so much: 

http://cleanrider.com/2014-sales-electric-motorcycles-scooters-france/

What that says to me is that BMW knows how to sell EVs (especially in France) and the other manufacturers do not.  I think it also says something about the advantage of having an existing sales and distribution network, loyal customers that trust your product even if it is completely new to them and confidence that the brand will support their purchase with parts, accessories and service after the sale.

Perhaps with Polaris taking over the Brammo brand, things will change when the new bikes are being sold at existing Victory and Indian dealerships and supported by the existing Polaris distribution network.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
Re: European EV sales numbers
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 03:25:47 PM »
Could it be that Europeans who espouse EVs on two wheels prefer e-scooters to e-motorcycles?  Brammo and Zero do not offer e-scooters.
2013 ICON Brammo EBoz Spec 32 (#6)
2012 Current Motor Super Scooter
2007 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 04:26:51 PM »
Could it be that Europeans who espouse EVs on two wheels prefer e-scooters to e-motorcycles?  Brammo and Zero do not offer e-scooters.

I too had that thought which seems supported by the latter part of the article showing robust numbers for other brands of e-scooters. In my brief exposure to European cities in the last few years, I've seen way more bicycles and scooters than motorcycles.

In looking at the totals of all numbers in the article, sorted by type, I came up with:

e-mopeds:      259
e-scooters:     498
e-motorcycles:  97

roma258

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 05:53:26 PM »
It makes sense, considering that 2-wheelers are considered a practical mode of transportation Europe, not just a fun plaything like most of the US. Plus there are legitimate advantages to riding 2 wheels in European cities: easier parking (fewer people have a detached house with 2 car garage), legal lane splitting almost everywhere, savings on gas (much more expensive than here), tax incentives, congestion charge exemptions in city centers etc. Basically stuff that doesn't impact us americans, make a big difference in Europe. And scooters, which are mostly used for shorter commutes, aren't nearly as effected by the current shortcomings of electrics (charge time and range). So it's all makes sense, if you take a step back.

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 06:40:10 PM »

Thank you for the tally, Shinysideup, and the cultural perspective, Roma256.  That does suggest e-motorcycles are in the minority among two-wheelers.

As Roma256 mentioned, I think that there are lifestyle and population density differences that US e-motorcycle manufacturers need to overcome to increase their appeal to Europeans.

Even in the US, women riders I know prefer bikes with lower seat heights.  My wife much prefers her Suzuki Boulevard maxi-scooter to any ICE sport or touring bike due to the seat height.  On my Brammo Empulse R, she can sit comfortably with both feet touching the ground and enjoy riding, but cannot say the same for any pre-2014 Zero because she is shorter than I am.  Also, for practical purposes, she prefers her scooter due to its built-in underseat storage.  No stock e-motorcycle comes with storage.

I hypothesize that city-dwelling European men and women would prefer e-scooters to e-motorcycles for the following reasons:

* The reduced seat height, lower center of gravity, and non-aggressive styling of a scooter will appeal to women and men who might otherwise be too short for a motorcycle.
* The built-in storage is practical for running errands and carrying small loads safely for short distances such as groceries or parcels.
* The lower speeds of urban roads (ie. non-autobahn) don't require the muscle of a motorcycle.
* If the German laws for motorcycle licenses are any example, it looks like novice European motorcyclists over 16 years old may not ride anything with a motor larger than 125 cc or 11 kW (14 hp), so e-bicycles, e-mopeds, or e-scooters would be their easiest entry point.  The spec page for Brammo's Enertia suggests that it is capable of 13 kW (17 hp) peak, so maybe novice riders might be able to squeak by with it.  Even the 2015 Zero FX ZF2.8 offers no less than 20 kW (27 hp), and would require German motorcyclists to be over 18.  My understanding is that to ride any motorcycle with motor more powerful than 25 kW (33 hp), you must first spend two years with the 25 kW-capped license.

Source: http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t63292.html

Then again, the BMW C Evolution is reported to be equivalent to 600 cc, 47 hp, or 35 kW, so anyone who is legally licensed for the BMW e-scooter would also be allowed to ride a Zero or Brammo, so all three choices were available to them.

I guess this brings us back to market penetration and brand recognition.  A European customer would have to be EV savvy or lucky to happen across a Brammo or Zero while shopping in Europe.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 10:50:33 AM »
Even in the US, women riders I know prefer bikes with lower seat heights.  My wife much prefers her Suzuki Boulevard maxi-scooter to any ICE sport or touring bike due to the seat height.  On my Brammo Empulse R, she can sit comfortably with both feet touching the ground and enjoy riding, but cannot say the same for any pre-2014 Zero because she is shorter than I am.  Also, for practical purposes, she prefers her scooter due to its built-in underseat storage.  No stock e-motorcycle comes with storage.

Non-powertank versions of the Zero S have a small storage cubby in the "fuel tank" location.

ZEV electric scooters have underseat storage in some models.

* If the German laws for motorcycle licenses are any example, it looks like novice European motorcyclists over 16 years old may not ride anything with a motor larger than 125 cc or 11 kW (14 hp), so e-bicycles, e-mopeds, or e-scooters would be their easiest entry point.  The spec page for Brammo's Enertia suggests that it is capable of 13 kW (17 hp) peak, so maybe novice riders might be able to squeak by with it.  Even the 2015 Zero FX ZF2.8 offers no less than 20 kW (27 hp), and would require German motorcyclists to be over 18.  My understanding is that to ride any motorcycle with motor more powerful than 25 kW (33 hp), you must first spend two years with the 25 kW-capped license.

For these tests typically a motor is rated by its 30 minute continuous power output (IEC S1).

The 75-5 motor in the FX bikes are rated at 13 kW, the 75-7 motor in the S/SR/DS bikes are all rated at 16 kW for continuous operation (despite peaking at 50 kW for the SR).

1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 04:11:23 PM »
Non-powertank versions of the Zero S have a small storage cubby in the "fuel tank" location.
ZEV electric scooters have underseat storage in some models.

Thanks for reminding me about the Zero S storage cubby.  Otherwise, sorry for being unclear that I was not including e-scooters among e-motorcycles, because I know scooters often have built-in storage.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 05:42:34 PM »
Zero also offers a well-built rear rack and Givi top box plate that fits many of their lower-cost boxes. I think a top box is more convenient than their stuff bay for holding something like a helmet, as the tank-area storage bay is only covered with zipper-closed fabric and not all that secure.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 07:31:19 PM »

Thanks, Richard.  I was specifically pointing out stock motorcycles don't typically include storage.  Of course customers may add storage, but that costs extra.  Scooters' design has storage built in.  As I was reminded, so does the Zero S.

Givi side bags were my #1 addition to the Empulse R.  My wife added a Givi tail box to her Burgman despite the built-in underseat storage.  Last autumn, we went on a 1,400-mile road trip to Crater Lake on our ICE bikes and were acutely aware of how our aftermarket storage (a Kuryakin bag on my Boulevard) made that trip possible.