Author Topic: Anti-theft devices pros and cons  (Read 881 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Anti-theft devices pros and cons
« on: January 30, 2015, 10:21:35 AM »
This is an interesting review by the on-line motorcycle accessory store Bike Bandit describing various motorcycle anti-theft devices along with their pros and cons.  Plus, it tells you how they can be defeated and which ones work best.

http://www.bikebandit.com/community/videos/why-to-never-lock-your-bike-with-a-cable-lock?utm_content=Main_Banner
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Anti-theft devices pros and cons
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 06:07:12 PM »
Yeah, I think it may have been earlier in this forum where I saw a link to a Brit video of pro thieves showing how they grab a bike with 1) locked steering, 2) disc lock, 3) chain to stationary object and 4) alarm. IIRC, the whole thing was about 3 minutes. Start with disabling the alarm, sit on seat and stomp on bar end to snap the steering lock pin, grind through the disc lock and chain with portable Dremel tool and cutoff wheel.

A lot of bikes are stolen to take to a chop shop for parts. I figure (perhaps naively) that our bikes aren't attractive because who would want to fence parts at a Radio Shack?

oml

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 07:19:50 PM »
I feel quite lucky that over here in Germany insuring my bike (a Honda CBF 600, used, worth about 3500) against theft, vandalism, enviromental damage (small animals, storms and floods and stuff like that) costs me 16.81 Euro *per year*. But even if I would be sentimentally attached to this hunk of metal theft would be pretty much not exist.

Im ... somewhat astonished that a simple rule like "dont steal other peoples vehicles" is that hard to enforce somewhere else.

On the other side: Insuring my bicycle (which was a bit on the expensive side with a Rohloff hub gear and a handmade steel frame, all in all about 2.5k) would cost about 400 Euros per year :|
It seems to me that everything the police doesnt bother to investigate has quite a high number of real/faked thiefery attached to it and therefore almost insance insurance premiums.

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 08:30:00 PM »
While I disagree with the authors premise that you should never use a cable lock, understand how they can be defeated and use appropriately.  With the exception of alarms, the bicycle community has debated the lock issue ad nauseam.  The conclusion being to use a quality U-lock and secure it properly.  Supplementing with a chain or cable adds further protection.  In the end, insurance is your only real protection against the motivated professional.

A cable lock that gets used is far more valuable than the big, heavy, hardened steel chain that gets left at home.  Each layer of protection adds to the amount of time it will take a thief, which is what deters them.  Unfortunately, each layer of protection also adds to your level of inconvenience as well as cost.