Author Topic: Wrecked my Empulse R  (Read 3714 times)

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Wrecked my Empulse R
« on: February 16, 2015, 03:33:09 PM »
Well, looks like I wont be riding this summer. On Feb 8th we got a warm front through NJ and I thought what a great day to take the bike on a short trip to the deli for a sandwich. In a very standard low speed turn just a block away from home I lost control of the bike. Not sure why the whole event is quite fuzzy. Might have been cold tires or some sand in the road. High sided the bike at about 15mph and rolled the bike over on my leg. Broke my tibula and fibula just above my boot line. Gonna be a long recovery and unfortunately I'm debating even riding again. The bike held up fine. Bent shifter, broken front turn signal and some scuffed slider and bar end. I'm  scared to see how the Polaris buyout effects the resale of the bike.

Anyways guys hope your riding season starts out better then mine. Ride safe.

benswing

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wrecked my Empulse R
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 04:05:38 PM »
Sorry to hear that.  Was hoping to meet up sometime and ride around West Milford or thereabouts.  I love riding on the Greenwood Lake Turnpike.

Best wishes for your recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Wrecked my Empulse R
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 04:09:40 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear of your off.

Aside from the pain of broken bones and the tedious recovery period, I'm glad it wasn't worse.

It's always difficult to be in doubt about why something like this happened. Makes it hard to learn from it.

Be sure to avail yourself of physical therapy to hasten your complete recovery.

Wishing you speed in your recovery and a restoration of peace in what must be a fear-filled mind right now. (I've been there.)

- Bill

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 07:22:18 PM »
Sorry to hear, hope you have a speedy recovery.

roma258

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 08:45:08 PM »
Really sorry to hear that, those are some intense injuries for such a low speed crash, hopefully the recovery is relatively quick and easy. I actually took the bike out on the same day (outside of Philly, so same neck of the woods) and remember how sketchy the roads were. Sand, melting snow and salt everywhere. I was just desperate to take the Empulse out, as I hadn't had a chance to ride it since I've gotten it. Get well soon!

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 09:20:45 PM »
Really sorry to hear that, those are some intense injuries for such a low speed crash, hopefully the recovery is relatively quick and easy. I actually took the bike out on the same day (outside of Philly, so same neck of the woods) and remember how sketchy the roads were. Sand, melting snow and salt everywhere. I was just desperate to take the Empulse out, as I hadn't had a chance to ride it since I've gotten it. Get well soon!
  yea southern end of Jersey hasn't had snow or salt down for a 2 weeks so here the roads seemed even less sketchy than that. The severity of the injuries are somewhat my fault hospital said that my vitamin D was a bit low (Probably from not seeing the sun for awhile because of winter work schedules). But even with that it was just to weight of the bike coming down on it. I wish I was going a bit faster and was thrown from the bike. I'm  a smaller framed guy weighing only 135lbs. Can't win a fight with a 450lb beast that is the Empulse lol. Maybe the knew Polaris deal will spit out a super motard for me.

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 11:54:59 PM »
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident... You know what they say though, its not "if" its "when". Now that you got that under your belt, its time to get back on that fine machine! I certainly would not sell it though, not now anyway... you practically just got it.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 12:23:10 AM »
I don't know if you're ready for any "crash analysis", but I was wondering how tall your boots are.

I just read some information about the proper role of moto boots, and, based on that discussion, went out and bought new boots, since my old comfy ones were fine for abrasion, but not for the other 7 functions good boots should perform.

My new boots (AlpineStars Toucans) are 15 inches high and have a 4" tall plastic plate just below the top and on the front surface of the leg portion. The purpose of this plate is to stop a common occurrence in get offs: the foot peg impacts the leg and fractures the tibia and fibula. Do you think that could have happened to you?

Did your pants have knee armor?

Also did you have "frame sliders" attached to the front frame? I had my Empulse fall on me in my garage (don't ask!) and the 4" frame slider probably saved me from a bunch of hurt.

I've also got the Givi side bags on the bike and I know from being rear-ended on a BMW, that side bags can go a long to in protecting your legs.

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 08:25:25 AM »
I have been doing a crash analysis since I came to on the road. Not having memories of the actual event is fustrating .

I have thought about longer boots. They might have helped. I was riding with Icon 1000 truants. The break is right after the boot ends. Less boot might have been better too as a broken ankle is less worse then a tibula/fibula break but less protection is just silly.

I have pants with armor that I was not wearing as it was just a trip around the block and I wasn't planning on going more then 30mph. Luckily it turns out i really didn't need them in this wreck. Just some slight road rash on my hip plus the surgents would have had to cut them off.

I have 5 inch frame sliders as well. Still makes a pinch point at the lower end of the bike tho. The few times I dropped the bike I had to quick pull my leg out as it went down to prevent getting pinched. I have thought about getting some slightly intrusive axle sliders to increase that lower gap slightly.

The side bags are an interesting thought. How well do they hold up if you drop the bike at a standstill? They are quite expensive and from my understanding hard to find.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 10:15:09 AM »
Oh no!  I hope your recovery goes well. You've been a great contributor to this forum and I hope you stick around.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 11:44:22 AM »
The side bags hold up well from a parking lot drop. Their attachment system seems really solid, especially compared with the BMW system which dropped one of my cases after hitting a pothole.

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 02:27:44 PM »
I might look into the cases. It be nice to not have to carry the charger on my back and have a place for a passenger helmet. How hard are they to take off for some spirited riding? Also notice any range reduction with the extra drag?

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 04:55:59 PM »
Holy crap dude!  I'm sorry to hear that.  Glad it wasn't worse and I hope you heal up quick.

Since I have related experience . . . having crashed twice, once on the Empulse:

What I consider my absolute minimum for moto boots is something that has a hard armored armature (can be internal or external) that prevents the ankle from rotating the wrong way -- while possessing a hinge to allow it to rotate the correct way (i.e. walking).  I currently have these Dainese boots:

Note the hinge.  I refuse to ride in any boot that does not have something like this.  Quite a lot of boots might be made of leather and/or have tough plastic-looking bits on them, but if you can pick them up in a store and bend them sideways in half with your hands . . . that's what your ankle will likely do when you hit the ground.

When I crashed, the Empulse came down pretty hard on my right ankle.  I had a bruise for a few days and that was the extent of it.  It's true that it could have been luck or other factors, but I believe pretty strongly that if I hadn't been wearing those boots, I'd be much worse off. 

It's also true that there are boots that are even more protective (e.g. crazy motocross boots), but they're not really comfortable to walk in or practical for daily usage.  The Daineses are easy to walk around in and very comfortable.

Also, obligatory pitch for get an Aerostich!  Mine certainly saved my bacon, especially in the case of the freeway crash.

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Wrecked my Empulse R
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 05:34:20 PM »
Terrible news! I hope you have a speedy and full recovery.

And what doesn't kill you makes you a better rider!
Once you go EV, gas is history!

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 08:33:09 PM »
Terrible news! I hope you have a speedy and full recovery.

And what doesn't kill you makes you a better rider!

I hope so man, but you can expect its got me a little put off to ride again. Hopefully my nerves recover as quick as my leg.

As for the boots I'm definately gonna look into a higher boot. The boots o have ICON 1000 truants have great ankle support they just aren't high enough to protect my shin. One of my major usages of the bike is a commute to work. Once at work I switch my boots for shoes in my bag. My truants would barely fit in my bag for carrying them into work. Any suggestions for taking knee high boots around with you? Maybe those givi bags will come into play.