Author Topic: My longest trip and deepest discharge so far.  (Read 1161 times)

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
My longest trip and deepest discharge so far.
« on: March 14, 2015, 03:11:51 PM »
Yesterday I put 116.4 miles on the Brammo according to the trip meter.  I encountered a very strong headwind for my last 25 miles on a road that I did not feel comfortable at less that 50 mph on.  I learned that the battery icon starts flashing at 20%, then the green lights above the dash start flashing at 10%.  I was still about 5 miles from home when I got down to 7% so I stopped at a public charging station for about 20 minutes before continuing home.  I noticed the charger was only showing +2.3 kw, possibly due to the temperature of the batteries which were in the low 90's Fahrenheit and it was a unseasonably warm day.

Laying down on the "tank" make a huge improvement in power usage, but I was still drawing over 7 kw to maintain 50 in the windy section.  This also made it harder to read my gauges and check my mirrors.  I may have to look into getting a windscreen in the future.

Chocula

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: My longest trip and deepest discharge so far.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 07:21:03 PM »
Wow, that's pretty good. I only get 23/24 amps from level 2, so your bike sounds about right. Ride more, worry less :)
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 04:05:59 PM »
Sounds like a good range, especially considering the headwind. I think you'll notice an improvement with the windshield, better than lying down on the tank.

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 08:58:42 PM »
I should clarify, this was not all on a single charge.  I had a couple of hours of recharging en-route.

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 05:49:37 PM »
116 miles at 50 mph on one charge would have been an amazing achievement for the Empulse. I've been doing trips of just over 80 miles on a single charge, but I can only do that if I keep the speed between 30 and 40 mph (or 45 mph for brief times). When I arrive at my destination, the battery is usually close to or at 0%.

I have never really run out of energy doing that 80 mile trip (due to careful watching of the battery level), although the bike did quit on me once. I had about 5% energy left, and only a few miles to go, so I cranked the throttle for a bit of last mile fun. The bike didn't like that and promptly died. I had to walk it to the nearest charging station (which was happily less than a 1/4 mile away). It's not a very dignified way to be on a motorcycle. When I had gone about half way there I decided to try turning on the bike again. It worked! So I carefully rode the rest of the way to the charging station, plugged in, and occupied my time for 20 minutes or so. After that I had enough energy to make it back home.

When you draw lots of energy from the batter, the voltage drops, and I suspect that it dropped too low for normal operation, and just stopped. Keeping the energy draw down will keep the bike working right up to 0% battery.

Note that the usual behavior when operating at low energy is that the bike will limit power and appear to "hiccup". I'm not sure what I did to get around that behavior and go directly to a shut down. Bottom line is when you're almost out of energy, be kind to the bike, and the bike will be kind to you!
Richard #935 #595 #44

E-viator

• View Profile
    • www.piloot.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 08:55:16 PM »
I had the same thing. Battery indicated 7% (and flashing sometimes that it needed to be plugged in), I was only about 3 km from home, so I opened it up and it promptly died. Walked for about 500 meters, plugged into the 22kW Renault dealer charger (free) and picked it up the next day. I'm certainly not used to that on my electric Renault Zoe, which will just limit power in order to really use every last watt.
Emile
'14 Empulse R
'13 Renault Zoe (EV)
'06 Moto Guzzi Griso

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
My longest trip and deepest discharge so far.
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 12:31:01 PM »
I've had mine die twice. Both under 10 percent and both times I gave it a little throttle and the cells sagged enough to hit LVC on the bms. Both times I turned the key off, waited 5 minutes for the batteries to rest, which allows the voltage to rise up a little. Put it in 1st and very slowly creeped to a charging station or my house.