Author Topic: Brake Parts  (Read 1664 times)

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Brake Parts
« on: March 16, 2015, 11:03:17 AM »
I need to replace my rear brake pads and front rotors. Can anyone give me the appropriate Brembo part numbers, or equivalent bikes that I can use to search for parts? The info isn't in the manual, and Brammo isn't listed on Brembo's website.

My rear caliper is rubbing on the disc. I've never had to replace the rear pads on any of my other bikes, but I do ride the rear brake a lot more on the Empulse.

And I've dropped the front end off the stand once or twice leading to bent front rotors. They're not dangerous, but the pulsing is annoying. I had the same problem with my Duc. Having a stem-lift option would be great!

I'll be pulling it all apart tonight, but any help ahead of time would be great!
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Brake Parts
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 12:37:49 PM »
My dealer supplied Galfer FD220 for the rear pads and they fit.

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 02:29:42 PM »
Looks like every Ducati, Aprillia, and KTM road bike made since the turn of the century. Unfortunately the one dealership that sells those bikes in all of Chicagoland is closed on Mondays  :(

O-well, got to burn the old gas out of my Miata since I just pulled her out of hibernation, anyway.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 10:05:24 PM »
Update - got a chance to pull the caliper off and the pads are fine. The caliper is rubbing against the disc, but the disc bolts are also rubbing against the caliper mount. I'm guessing a blown a wheel bearing. I had the rear tire replaced about 1,000 miles ago thanks to a nail, so it's possible a spacer was missed during reassembly by the shop that did the swap. I'll pull it apart tomorrow to get a closer look.

FWIW, I seem to go through wheel bearings. My SV is on it's third set (admittedly one of those is from me missing a wheel spacer during a tire change - and I still got a good 3k miles before I noticed grinding 8)). But it also has 50k miles and I beat the daylights out of it. I can't say my Brammo sees better, and I've been riding it well into salting season both winters. I'll be looking for better sealed bearings if I need to replace them. I'll post up once I'm sure I have found the culprit.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 06:11:18 PM »
Bearings are done. The disc-side one was completely shot, and the sprocket side wheel bearing was just within spec, so both were replaced. The sprocket carrier bearing was fine.

However I can't re-install the wheel. I've been fighting it for an hour, and can't get it back into the swingarm because the wheel is too wide by a good 5mm. I am wondering if they installed the wrong sized bearings, or if I have a spacer in the wrong place. Can anyone tell me if the spacers look correct in my pictures below?

[smg id=407]
[smg id=408]
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 08:54:04 PM »
Never mind. I finally got it on with a BFH and elbow grease. Just a reminder on why I'm not a mechanic for a living.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 04:58:39 PM »
I've had the rear wheel off a couple of times: tire and chain/sprocket replacement and have had a heck of a time getting the shaft to line up with everything as it tries to come out the nut side. I'm even thinking of getting some aluminum shaft stock and machining a hole in the end into which I can insert the steel shaft threads and guide the steel shaft through by placing my dummy shaft in from the right. But I'll probably never get that together and continue to push and curse until it comes through.  ::)

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 06:36:09 PM »
My problem was that I couldn't physically get the wheel and chain adjusters all in the swingarm. The whole system was just too wide. I literally ended up with rubber mallet pounding the left side adjuster in to get it to fit. Everything seems fine now, thankfully.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 09:13:53 PM »
Yep: when all else fails, bring up the BIG hammer!

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 08:36:26 PM »
Well the saga continues. My bike still didn't feel right, like the rear end is moving in corners, so I took the wheel off today. The left side wheel bearing (which was replaced) had moved out of the wheel a good 2 to 3 mm. The inner spacer was rattling around between the two bearings once the axel was removed. I whacked the bearing with the mallet and it re-set itself. I wonder if I didn't set the cush drive all the way in the last time allowing the bearing to back out of the wheel. I seem to remember standing on the cush drive, but that may not have been enough. I whacked it with the mallet a few times during this reinstall. On the bright side, the rear wheel went back on much easier this time. I guess I'll keep an eye on it, and if I'm still having trouble I will ask for the micro fiche for the rear wheel to see if I am missing a spacer.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 04:42:16 AM »
Well the saga continues. My bike still didn't feel right, like the rear end is moving in corners, so I took the wheel off today. The left side wheel bearing (which was replaced) had moved out of the wheel a good 2 to 3 mm. The inner spacer was rattling around between the two bearings once the axel was removed. I whacked the bearing with the mallet and it re-set itself. I wonder if I didn't set the cush drive all the way in the last time allowing the bearing to back out of the wheel. I seem to remember standing on the cush drive, but that may not have been enough. I whacked it with the mallet a few times during this reinstall. On the bright side, the rear wheel went back on much easier this time. I guess I'll keep an eye on it, and if I'm still having trouble I will ask for the micro fiche for the rear wheel to see if I am missing a spacer.

Got this one!
Your problem is the spacer tube inbetween the bearings, inside the wheel.
If this tube is mounted the wrong way, the spacers will not fit all the way down.

So check if the stepped side of the tube is facing the left side (sprocket side) then re-install the bearing.
It will go all the way down now, with the stepped side of the tube sliding inside the bearing. the spacer on this side is stepped too, so it touches the inner tube.

If you install it the wrong way around, the right side spacer will push the left side bearing out and you will not be able to fit the sprocket carrier all the way.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 08:03:50 AM by JeffK »
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs
shortened chain tensioner bolts

Top Case