Author Topic: California State Route 150 on a Empulse R.  (Read 2223 times)

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
California State Route 150 on a Empulse R.
« on: March 29, 2015, 12:25:50 AM »
I had a great ride on my Empluse today.  Started  my meeting my wife for lunch as she was working, then onto Ventura to meet a friend I have not seen for about 6 months and go for a ride.  I planed to arrive a bit early and top of my charge.  I arrived at one of the public chargers off Main Street with 73%  SoC having traveled just over 21 miles.  Display indicated 0:56 to full charge which was perfect as it was 1 hour before our scheduled meeting time.

My friend arrived a bit late as he was not familiar with this part of Ventura and got a bit lost.  I had brought some paperwork to read so this was not a big deal. Got to the bike which was now fully charged and $0.73 charged to my ChargePoint card.  I figured that I could probably make it to Ojia then take the 150 to Santa Paula and still make it home.  Anyway after a brief discussion, we decided to take Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) to where the 150 starts then stop for coffee in Ojia for at least an hour so I could charge.

I was hoping to go a bit slower on PCH to conserve my battery a bit, but 70 mph seemed to be the speed he wanted to go so I tried my best to keep my head out of the wind and watched my battery drain to 75% in those 15 mile.  I had never ridden this part of the 150 so wanted to take it pretty easy as I just had my front tire replaced yesterday (Continental Recall).  He let me pass after we turned onto the 150 and I set a nice relaxed pace of 45-50 mph.  The Sun was shining, the road was is good shape with only 1 spot where some small rocks had fallen onto the road.  The scenery was fantastic  finishing up with the section that goes along the lake.

Arrived at the Park-N-Ride in Ojia with 50% SoC.  Neither charging station was being used but there was a Chevy picking ICEing one of the spots.  I was expecting these to both be occupied so I was happy I did not have to fall back to the ones at City Hall which have always been open on the weekends.  Display indicated 1:56 until full charge.

We had a nice chat over coffee and my Empulse was at 98% when we go back after an indeterminate amount of time.  I thought this was a good time to let my friend try out the Empluse.  After a quick briefing including not needing the clutch to start, he took a quick spin around the parking lot then I showed him how to toggle Sport mode on and off and sent him off for a short ride.  Yep, he used the clutch when he started off from the first stoplight.  Wow does that sound horrible when the clutch is being slipped.  As an observer, I could also here the chain which I can't when I am riding the bike.

I was at 95% SoC when we left the Park and Ride and I would have been happy at anything over 75%.  Having broken in my new tire a bit, with plenty of battery left, and on a road I have at least driven before, we picked up the pace a little bit and continued on the 150 to Santa Paula completing its entire length.  We then took South Mountain Road towards Fillmore for some nice gentle sweeping curves.  When we got the Highway 23, we said goodbye and my friend turned North towards Fillmore and I when South up Grimes Canyon for some more twisties.

I had plenty of battery left so I took the more scenic route utilizing Broadway, Stockton, Balcom Canyon Road, and Bradley on my way to Somis before heading for home.

I arrived home with 28% SoC and 116.3 miles on the trip meter, the Kings game recording on the TiVo, and my hound dog super happy to have me home.  Overall, a pretty fantastic day!  Go Kings Go!

Things I learned today: California State Route 150 is why I love motorcycles and dead bugs show up really well on white leather.

Chocula

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: California State Route 150 on a Empulse R.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 12:41:47 AM »
I enjoyed your post! Those roads look great to ride on (Google street view). I've not been east of Ventura but rode from San Francisco to Ventura for a Bill Mayer custom saddle for the Empulse, all on back roads, and had a great time!

roma258

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 10:33:25 AM »
Have you taken 33 out of Ojai yet? It takes you kind of out into the middle of nowhere, so might be a hard trick to pull off on the Empulse. But it's a pretty amazing road. So many awesome roads in that part of the world, I'm not jealous at all, though...

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 02:21:00 PM »
I have not been north of Ojia on the 33 yet.  With no practical options for charging showing on plug share, and a 120v outlet in Frazier Park at 73 miles out being the only option, I think this would have to be an out and back with my battery charge level determining my turn around point.  From what I can see on Google maps, the first 40 miles looks the most interesting and I should be able to cover most of that and still get back to a charging station in Ojia.

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 02:44:30 PM »
I enjoyed your post! Those roads look great to ride on (Google street view). I've not been east of Ventura but rode from San Francisco to Ventura for a Bill Mayer custom saddle for the Empulse, all on back roads, and had a great time!
I am glad you liked the post.  I found your report on your trip to Ventura to be both informative and entertaining.  I have pointed several people towards it as it contains a lot of great information.  While nothing teaches like experience, your report will certainly help many of us avoid some pitfalls.

When my friend tried out my Empluse yesterday, he found the saddle to be a bit uncomfortable and I mention that you had had Bill Mayer customize the saddle.  He then pointed out the Bill Mayer saddle on the ST1300 he was riding and agreed that would be a good option.