Author Topic: Ever run out of charge?  (Read 2446 times)

microluck

• View Profile
    • Email
Ever run out of charge?
« on: November 24, 2014, 01:19:11 PM »
I went for a fun ride yesterday.  This was the first time I took my Empulse on the Interstate, even if it was for just 5 miles down one exit.  I ended up doing a nearly 45 mile loop, and didn't quite think that I would be pushing the limits of my range.  Anyway, long story short, my bike showed 0% SOC about 2 miles from home.  I feathered the throttle and was able to push it all the way home!  Has anyone had any adverse affects from running the SOC down this low?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 01:29:12 PM by microluck »

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Ever run out of charge?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 03:40:52 PM »
I've only run out once when my SOC dropped suddenly at freeway speed on a cold night, about 2 miles from home. The bike stopped and showed the same message yours did. I pulled over to the shoulder, waited a few minutes, (sure wish Brammo included a hazard light option!), and when I started it back up, I nursed it up a long steep hill and back home at slow speeds. All the green lights were blinking, the message was screaming to recharge the batteries, and I, too, wondered if I was damaging anything.

Apparently not, as the bike has run great for the 6 months since that episode, no change in range. I've gotta trust that Brammo did a good job in their protective circuitry, algorithms.

45 miles seems on the low end of range unless you were really pushing the speed or it was really cold. Were your batteries warm (just off the charger) when you started? By keeping them plugged in, the heaters can do their job.

A windshield helps quite a bit. I recently did a test with a windshield and averaged 57 miles at a constant 75 mph in about 60F weather.

microluck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 05:34:24 PM »
I got a little over 54 miles on that charge, the 45 miles was for that specific trip.  I think it was at about 88% SOC when I started.  I live in Florida, so weather wasn't an issue for the range - except that the wind was a bit strong.  I think it was because it was the first time I had it on the Interstate and I was going a bit faster than I would normally go :)  Even off the Interstate, on the "back" roads, I wasn't going too easy until I realized that my charge was a bit lower than I was comfortable with.

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 04:52:03 AM »
Had it twice this year,
Always some 2 miles from my destination.
5-8% SOC, so just when I thought I was going to make it and as a result not too easy on the gas. :(
Then in one second 5%->0%

The software will protect the batteries from damage so it will shut down the system before damage will occur, AFAIK.
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs
shortened chain tensioner bolts

Top Case

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 12:27:35 PM »
Well this is annoying! On Thursday night, in pouring rain, I was coming back from an unusual range-pushing assignment across the SF Bay from where I live. I had taken on some charge after work in the East Bay, from 8 pm to 9 pm, and had computed that it was enough to barely get me home, or at least to a charger nearer my home.

I was coming down the long hill of the San Mateo Bridge, doing 55 mph in the right lane with a lot of coasting. My plan was to go to a surface street (El Camino Real) to make it home at slower speeds. All of a sudden my SOC dropped from 11% to 0%.

Aside from the immediate panic, the worst part is realizing that, while the bike is still moving, I have NO IDEA for how much longer. As it turned out, I made it about 2 miles further to a charger at a Walgreens and all the while the 0% kept flashing. I rode in the right lane, ready to cut to the curb and out of traffic if the bike died in the dark and the rain.

I certainly wish the software could be a tad more accurate, and that zero meant, well, zero. Why is that so hard?

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 06:15:05 PM »
I just arrived home with 6% remaining after a 60-mile round trip to my dealership Seattle E-Bike for the oil-leak recall service.  The city/highway balance was 35/65, with city/rural speed limits between 35-50 mph and the highway speed limits at 60 mph.

Was nervous about the low battery warnings that appeared below 10% SOC, because of a bad experience with an electric scooter that gave up the ghost at about 17% SOC.  However, other than the warning message and lights on the dash, I arrived home with no noticeable loss of throttle response.  In warmer weather, this trip allows me to get home with 9% SOC.
2013 ICON Brammo EBoz Spec 32 (#6)
2012 Current Motor Super Scooter
2007 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

katacrak

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 07:14:59 PM »
The first probe the Empulse the SOC 0% to 5 kms. destination. Moto stop, 3 minute wait, start and again running at 0% SOC. Just 300 mts target returned to stop, but with inertia turned back on and get started and without pushing. The total distance was 87 kms.

The second time was at a distance of 110 kms with the same bike, just 2 kms. 8% lower than 0% but regulates the throttle and reaches its destination without stopping.

With my Empulse to 13% SOC I've seen all green lights are illuminated, regulates the throttle and go, continuing down to 5% and reappear, regulates and continue running without lights arrive at your destination with 4%. This was the last time you get fairer. I think its no problem for batteries, are protected by the sistem.

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Ever run out of charge?
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 02:00:20 PM »
I have seen it drop from 8% to Zero too.
My guess is that the battery pack dropped below a certain pack voltage due to drawing too much amps.
But that the pack voltage was still within operating specs so it doesn't shut down.

SoC is a bit of a black art, it would be nice if we had a voltage meter in the dash for these situations.
Once you go EV, gas is history!