Author Topic: Can the speedometer be calibrated?  (Read 829 times)

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can the speedometer be calibrated?
« on: March 31, 2015, 03:02:14 PM »
Is there a way to calibrate the speedometer?  Mine seems to read about 5% higher than my speed according to all of the radar based indicators I have passed through.  While this is not the end of the world, if I can make it more accurate, I would like too.

I see that the speed sensor reads off the rear wheel, and while installing a larger rear tire might be an option once my current one wears out, I have to think the tires that came on the bike were chosen for a reason.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Can the speedometer be calibrated?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 07:25:05 PM »
I don't know an answer to your question but every bike I've owned has read high. I think it's a conspiracy to keep us safe, mandated by manufacturers' lawyers. ;)

Athlon

• Enciter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 06:02:45 PM »
spedometer must read higher even in the worst condition ( low pressure on tire , worst case tyre size and worst case tyre condition)

also there are some imprecision on instrumenst calibration but this must stay on the high side.

The sum of all this ""error" gives out the difference between speedometer reading and real speed. But is something every bike and car have so is not a problem at all.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 07:31:23 PM »
My Zero and my Yamaha (and my Saturn car) both are dead-on accurate.  However, my two BMWs and my Triumph read about 8% fast.  (Cheap horsepower.)  I think Athlon's reasoning is correct, but apparently it is not mandatory to make the speedometer read high.   ???
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Athlon

• Enciter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 08:21:30 AM »
depends if the vehicle can or cannot use different tyre size.  Spedometer need to be calibrated with the worst size but maybe the first equipment size is not the worst case