Author Topic: Empulse service in California  (Read 1032 times)

Amosj511

• View Profile
Empulse service in California
« on: June 26, 2019, 03:10:57 PM »
Hello community. I found a 2014 empulse on craigslist. I want to buy it, but I would like to know if there is anywhere/anyone that can help me service it, when the time comes or to come with me to see the bike.

Is the 2014 a good model year? What should I know about battery degradation?

Ashveratu

• Electrified
    • View Profile
Re: Empulse service in California
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 06:22:08 PM »
I currently have 8k miles on my 2014 Empulse. No issues to date, changed the oil myself. On its second set of tires. I replaced the chain because the factory one was just looking nasty.

Only sign of degradation is the battery only charges to 97%. For the last 4 years, I have always kept it fully charged. I never leave it at half charge for storage during the winter (I live in Maryland).

Basically, I abuse the crap out it and it has been great. I never use the clutch either, just let off the throttle a bit and shift.
2012 Zero S.......returned to Zero for a full refund after one year of problems

2014 Empulse going strong

cybergodzilla

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 11:47:01 AM »
I don't leave mine fully charged all the time. The recommendations in the Zero SR/F 2020 manual, seem to be in-line with how I maintain my batteries.

Remember; Even if you find a shop close enough, you'll often have to recharge to get back home. Three places where I used to take mine for service, no longer work on the Empulse. I know a small shop, ArneysGarage, that seems curious, otherwise I'll have to rely on myself.

I see the bike you found on Craigslist, Good Luck =)

CyberG from SoCal
Proud Brammo Empulse 2014 Owner, When it Works =/
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 03:08:04 PM by cybergodzilla »
2014 Empulse =D
2014 CBR650F B-)
2014 CFR250L =O

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 09:17:54 AM »
I currently have 8k miles on my 2014 Empulse. No issues to date, changed the oil myself. On its second set of tires. I replaced the chain because the factory one was just looking nasty.

Only sign of degradation is the battery only charges to 97%. For the last 4 years, I have always kept it fully charged. I never leave it at half charge for storage during the winter (I live in Maryland).

Basically, I abuse the crap out it and it has been great. I never use the clutch either, just let off the throttle a bit and shift.

I left my 2014 Zero S charger plugged in all of the time, however after three years it stopped charging the batteries to 100% and slowly the maximum charge dropped to 88%, with a corresponding drop in maximum indicated battery voltage when fully charged.  Last month the original Calex charger was replaced with a new "updated" version. The bike is back charging to 100% again, with a like-new 117 volts maximum.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

elainachambers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 06:46:56 PM »
I would be interested to know if you find a service station. I've been looking the San Jose & San Francisco area and have been completely unsuccessful.