Author Topic: National Cycle Deflector DX windshield  (Read 2822 times)

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
National Cycle Deflector DX windshield
« on: April 19, 2015, 12:24:43 AM »

FWIW... National Cycle is the supplier for the Brammo designed windscreen option, as they were for the Enertia Plus windscreen.  They make good stuff!

I just picked up one of these and ran into two problems while assembling it. 

#1 I'd incorrectly measured the diameter of the handlebars.  The parts I'd ordered are for a 7/8" bar and the Empulse handlebar is thicker (one inch?). 

#2 There are many cables zip-tied along the handlebar except for the gap in the center next to the keyhole.  Clamping something on top of these wires would likely damage them over time, but the gap in the middle of the handlebar isn't wide enough for two mounting clamps with quick-release knobs side by side.

If you have one of these screens on your Empulse, may I ask how you overcame these installation problems?  Obviously I should replace the 7/8" clamps, but is one inch the correct diameter?  Is there an alternative to cutting the zip ties and re-routing the cables?

In the photo, I've moved the shield approximately where it belongs, but of course it's not attached properly--the windshield's clamps are resting on the mirror stalks instead of the handlebars.

--
Thanks,
Michael
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 02:13:53 AM by MichaelJ »
2013 ICON Brammo EBoz Spec 32 (#6)
2012 Current Motor Super Scooter
2007 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: National Cycle Deflector DX windshield
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 08:52:24 AM »
I have been using the DX on most of my motorcycles for years and have found them to be a great windshield and well worth the price.  I like the fact that they can be removed in seconds when you want to ride without the windshield.  My suggestion would be to cut the cable ties and install the mounts a little further away from the control assemblies, then route the cables over and around the mounts and re-secure them with new cable ties.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 01:43:07 PM »
^^^ This.

If you enlarge the photo link below, you can see where I mounted my screen, after cutting the tie-wraps and re-installing them. The mounting points are a little more inboard than ideal, but I wanted room to mount the RAM mount also. The screen has always been rock solid at high speed and in high crosswind conditions.

https://flic.kr/p/ipvCxy

(I have a hekuva time posting pics >:()
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 07:48:06 PM by Shinysideup »

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 04:40:56 PM »
Thank you Richard, I chose this windscreen largely on your recommendation.

Shinysideup, I don't see your picture--just a placeholder icon.

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 09:22:58 PM »
I am considering the National Cycle Deflector windshield as well.  Please post pictures from various angles once you work out the mounting situation.  I was thinking of the non DX version as I don't expect to take it off once it gets installed and that should take up less real estate on the handlebars.

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 01:36:07 AM »
Good news!

After getting over my reluctance to cut the zip ties guiding wires along the handlebar (picture 1), and going ahead with attaching the clamps that seemed too narrow in diameter to fit on the handlebars (picture 2), the rest of the assembly wasn't much trouble (picture 3).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 02:17:15 AM by MichaelJ »

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 01:42:30 AM »
Here are two front views.  It's hard to see unless you know what you're looking for, which is just fine with me.  The idea was to have a windscreen that didn't take away from the look of the bike.  A tinted windscreen would have drawn attention to itself.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 02:19:13 AM by MichaelJ »

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 01:45:59 AM »
The way I initially installed it, it rests on the headlight fairing.  I don't yet know if this will cause wear marks to appear on the fairing, but after one test ride, it doesn't appear to have done any noticeable damage.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 02:20:57 AM by MichaelJ »

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 01:54:03 AM »
From the top, looking down the windscreen edge-on, you can see that there is plenty of clearance for the dashboard.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 02:22:26 AM by MichaelJ »

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 02:31:53 AM »

So with the screen attached, I went for a test ride of about 14 miles.

The screen was securely attached and didn't wobble or change position at speeds of up to 50 mph, despite the 1/4" gap between the halves of the clamps on the handlebar.

I was hoping that the wind would be deflected above my head so that there would be less noise around my helmet, allowing me to ride without earplugs and hear my helmet radio.  However, the screen didn't calm the air around my head.  Instead, because the screen only came up to my neck in height, what it protected was my chest, leaving everything from the top of my shoulders and above in the wind.

Although the screen fits in front of the dashboard, when I try to tuck behind the screen to be protected from the wind, it is uncomfortable fitting my head behind the screen.  Not that I'm inflexible, but I do feel like I have to compress my spine because I can't slide my rear end further back to make room for my head without running into the sudden upward curve of the seat to where the passenger would sit.  Also, with my head that low, I'm either knocking the helmet into the screen or craning my neck to look forward properly.

Initially, the windscreen was angled parallel to the forks.  I will see if tilting the windscreen more vertically will help.  If that doesn't help, maybe I can rest the bottom of the windscreen on the top of the dashboard to raise the top edge closer to my eye height, where I've had success with windscreens on cruisers and scooters.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 09:43:26 AM »
The screen isn't tall enough to provide protection to your head and no amount of angling will solve that issue.  I like the screen because it blocks the wind on my chest and keeps my helmet in a smooth flow of air, which reduces noise and turbulence while riding.  But the mounting system does allow a lot of different angles and it sure is easy to try different ones out to see which works best.

The instructions say to place the bottom of the windshield against the headlight to provide additional bracing.  This will damage the finish on your headlight nacelle after a while.  What I do is to place some thick tape on the headlight to protect its finish and to glue a piece of soft foam rubber to the bottom of the windshield to further cushion any vibrations that might damage the fairing finish. 
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 02:12:45 AM »
https://flic.kr/p/ipvCxy

Nice picture, Shinysideup, and nice screen!  How much benefit are you getting from the spoiler?  Does it reduce noise, or is the main idea comfort via smooth airflow?

I'm wondering whether I should give up on achieving a quiet air pocket on a sportbike like the Empulse, and wait for Victory to produce what will hopefully be an e-cruiser, which will have the nice large windscreen and relaxed feet-forward seating I'm more used to.

Still, the Deflector isn't bad.  The airflow is smoother around my helmet, but not quiet enough to stop wearing earplugs to protect my hearing.  Instead of throwing more money at a bigger, uglier windscreen that won't solve the noise issue, I'm thinking of getting a SENA 20s for its ambient mode mic to listen to people trying to talk to me (like parking garage attendants or curious passers by) even though I'm wearing earplugs.

How have you solved the wind noise problem?

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 02:22:20 AM »
The screen isn't tall enough to provide protection to your head and no amount of angling will solve that issue.

Oh well.  I should have asked more specific questions before ordering it, then.  Still, it doesn't look bad, and the airflow is smoother, but not quieter.  Doubt I'm seeing any energy savings from it, either, but I don't have enough data yet to tell.

What I do is to place some thick tape on the headlight to protect its finish and to glue a piece of soft foam rubber to the bottom of the windshield to further cushion any vibrations that might damage the fairing finish.

Good to know those help!

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 12:48:58 PM »
I found the spoiler to eliminate buffeting, but if your airflow is already smooth, you'll not need it.

I have a fairly quiet helmet (Schuberth C3) and already have hearing loss (age 71), so the noise doesn't bother me. :D I wear earplugs only on longer trips, which don't happen very often on an ebike! My screen/spoiler setup is a bit more quiet than the naked bike, however.

I'd be surprised if your range doesn't improve with the windscreen. The consensus experience so far seems to be somewhere in the ballpark of 10%, though they're mostly rough guesses. The upper torso, leaning forward on a naked bike, is just exactly wrong aerodynamically.

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 01:59:30 AM »

I have a fairly quiet helmet (Schuberth C3) and already have hearing loss (age 71), so the noise doesn't bother me.

My wife has a C3 and loves it, but sadly it is too small to fit me, so I can't experience the quiet.  I have a Scorpion EXO-900, which is great for someone who doesn't want to take off his glasses all the time.  It was quiet enough behind my cruiser's windscreen, but isn't in the unprotected air.

I wear earplugs only on longer trips, which don't happen very often on an ebike!

Unfortunately, my ears ring after a 40-minute ride to work if unprotected.

My screen/spoiler setup is a bit more quiet than the naked bike, however.

Although I'm wearing the earplugs, I am grateful for more quiet now that the windscreen is installed.

I'd be surprised if your range doesn't improve with the windscreen.

I'm collecting data, but don't have enough data points yet to notice a change in efficiency.  10% will be nice.  Ask me again in a month and we'll see what the numbers show.

Until then, here's some numbers for Recharge Time vs. State of Charge.  Looks like the recharge speed (red) is pretty much 20 mph @ L2.  The recharge time (blue) is reassuringly linear towards 100% SOC.  The outliers are probably including the time spent balancing batteries.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 02:01:04 AM by MichaelJ »