Author Topic: System failure D4 on highway  (Read 1000 times)

Fabv

• View Profile
    • Email
System failure D4 on highway
« on: April 24, 2015, 03:24:39 AM »
Hej there,

on the 4th of april I became the proud owner of a True Blood Red Empulse R ;D . An ideal motorbike for traveling to work and afterwards on the way back riding some detours through the curvy "polders"roads. I loved ever minute on the bike even if had to stay under 5000rpm and couldn't use the sportsmode. I arrived at work every day with a big smile, actually I hadn't stop smiling since the day I got him 

...but last week Wednesday, leaving a bit early at work to take a beautiful long route home, the smile finally faded. Just 5 km's (3 miles?) from work, just on the highway, cruising on the outer lane, the motor failed me. There was no more throttle, I saw a system failure flashing up and I lost all speed rapidly. Due to the heavy traffic (almost rush hour) I couldn't reach the safety haven. So I was forced to stop next to the outer lane, hoping that nobody would hit me and somebody would call the police.  >:(

All ended well, I got towed away after the highway patrol closed al the lanes.

The next day my dealer got into the motor, the controller had totally shut down and they (Brammo factory in German was looking with them) couldn't access it. As far as I know there weren't any strange things visible in the log files. So a new controller was ordered and we still don't know what happened to make this incident happen. Momentarily I'm still waiting for word from my dealer that the bike will be ready. Since we have some holidays coming I'm afraid that there will be another week without my bike.

But when it's ready, how do I know it won't happen again. I need to trust my bike I use on a daily base. Did I do something wrong or was it just bad luck? Browsing the internet I couldn't find a single comparing incident, so I wonder if I am the only one (not very likely) or that no one bothers to mention it. So my question is, does anybody know about this happening, what causes this, etc.

thnks for reading and all your comments

fabienne

ps. I haven't even had time to introduce myself, but I'm another Dutch Brammo-rider and until last week enjoying every moment of that new status.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: System failure D4 on highway
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 07:16:28 AM »
D4 is described as "Motor Controller Not Communicating". Could be an outright controller failure or could be a faulty connector between the controller and the main bike computer.

Here's the only report I know about a D4 failure, this is on an Enertia. In his case looks like condensation on one or more pins on a faulty connector caused the bike to shut down.

I doubt it was anything you did wrong, as long as you're careful not to ride the bike into deep standing water (controller is mounted on the bottom) or expose it to water spray, i.e. from washing with a pressure washer. These bikes should be able to handle rain and dew without a problem.

My Enertia Wont Work "SERVICE REQ'D D4

was working fine last night but it was soo late in the night that I was soo tired to park in the garage so I left it outside then this morning I was about to move it to the garage and it wont work and gave me this error, I called Dave H. but he is still in  Laguna Seca so he said he will come over tomorrow.

Dave took my bike and lent me his own, just got it back today, I havent tested it but he said he had to replace/update a few wires that was too thick causing it not to go in a certain slot well causing moisture to get it which caused my bike not to work, it made sense because it was the first time I left the bike outside the garage and morning dew had dampened the particular said wire.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Fabv

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 01:36:36 AM »
Thanks for your reply.
Damp can not be the case. It's parked inside during the nights and the 1,5 week I road it, it was beautiful sunny weather.
Brammo is on the case (my huge compliments) but as long as the controller isn't delivered, the old controller stays in the motor. When replaced I hope (and think) that the controller will be surveyed.
So I jus thave to wait a little longer for I can take my Brammo back on the road  :(

E-viator

• View Profile
    • www.piloot.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 07:05:00 AM »
Hoi Fabv,

Another topic: did you check the Dutch Brammo gettogether? http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=2956.msg21793#new

Wellicht tot dan?
Emile
'14 Empulse R
'13 Renault Zoe (EV)
'06 Moto Guzzi Griso