Author Topic: LED Headlight?  (Read 10262 times)

ColoBrammo

• View Profile
LED Headlight?
« on: August 07, 2010, 01:24:23 PM »
Has anyone (esp engineering at Brammo???) considered an LED headlight for the Enertia?

I know these are more expensive, so I can understand why they would not be a stock item though it might be a worthwhile upgrade (like the leather seat) to offer.

Since the headlight is on all the time, I'm wondering if it might be a place to save a little power and perhaps eek out a bit more range- and look better to.

Any thoughts?

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: LED Headlight?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 01:42:29 PM »
Can't be done until the DOT (NHTSA) certifies an LED headlight.  So far, that hasn't been done and I haven't heard of any progress in this area.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 10:31:42 AM »
Can't be done until the DOT (NHTSA) certifies an LED headlight.  So far, that hasn't been done and I haven't heard of any progress in this area.
A couple models of cars have - presumably DOT-certified - LED headlights as stock (Audi R8 5.2) or options (2010+ Prius V). I wonder what the holdup for motorcycles is.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Harlan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 02:09:53 PM »
Since the headlight is on all the time, I'm wondering if it might be a place to save a little power and perhaps eek out a bit more range- and look better to.

If by "eek out a bit more range" you mean get a few more feet of range, then yes.  The headlight on the Brammo is around 55W I think.  This means that if you left the headlight on for an hour you would consume about 55Wh of electricity.  For comparison, a casual ride around town will typically consume 80Wh/mile.  So basically having the headlight on for an hour is costing you less than a mile of range.  Since most of us aren't spending an hour at a time on the Brammo without stopping to recharge, its not really buying a whole lot extra to change that to an LED.
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 05:19:31 PM »
This is an old topic but I'm resurrecting it because of an article that just popped up on autobloggreen:
Brilliant! LED headlights can add 6 miles to an electric car's range

Okay guys... let's debate this again.  Or not.

Kelly Olsen

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Brammo Riders Of Southern California
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 08:51:03 PM »
I suppose that it might make a bigger difference on cars since their are more lights, well at least two headlights and only one on most motorcycles. But I do like the idea of an LED for the Enertia Plus just for the sake of being another piece of energy saving technology. Just kind of goes with the whole concept better.

oobflyer

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 12:27:56 AM »
I would opt for an LED headlight, given a choice.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 05:11:40 PM »
Nissan LEAF also uses standard LED headlamps.

From the OSRAM article:
An efficient LED headlamp system can extend vehicle range by nearly six miles (9.5 km). Even with conventional vehicles, a 28 watt LED system emits only 196 grams of carbon dioxide per 100 kilometers compared to 768 grams of carbon dioxide per 100 kilometers from conventional 110 watt H7 halogen bulbs.

Let's say Brammo used a 14W LED system instead of a 55W halogen.

At 35 mph, the Empulse 10.0 might last 140 miles, or 71 wh/mi. Saving 41W from the bulb might save 50W from the pack (before conversion losses), or a savings of 1.4 wh/mi (2% longer range).

At 70 mph, the Empulse 10.0 might last 70 miles, or 142 wh/mi. Saving 50W from the pack would save around 0.7 wh/mi (0.5% longer range).

You'll save more power by dropping your speed 0.5 mph than you will by converting from halogen to LED lighting.

Also, the ABG article is running a very misleading headline.

Saving 78W from swapping halogen to LED is fine. Saving 6 miles of range (1.5 - 2.0 kwh) would require the headlights to be on for 20+ hours. In normal operation the LED lamps will save a very small amount of power.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 05:51:29 PM »
I would opt for an LED headlight, given a choice.

+1

I think LED lights are cool and represent a step in the right direction for lighting choices.
Disclaimer: I work for a company that makes equipment to make LED lighting solutions possible.

I agree with the math that it would represent virtually no range gains.

Brammowannabe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 09:34:53 PM »
The fuse for the headlight is bigger then the use for several other systems implying it uses more power.  I'd like to do 2 things.  Build an LED headlight myself. (who cares if its 100% legal or not)  Also add a switch to disable it during the day.  i want tail lights during the day, but the head light seems useless.  Although I haven't been on one yet, maybe it does really help make you more visible.

if 4000watt hours - 40 miles then 100 watt hours = 1 mile.  At 50 watts, in an hour you could gain an extra half mile.  Doesn't seem like much, but its 1025% increase in range.  When you drive 50,000 miles you didn't pay for over 500 miles.  It all adds up.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 08:31:37 AM »
No appreciable gain in range.
You definitely want to keep it on during the daytime.  I usually leave mine in the 'brights' position.  The better they can see you, the better they can (hopefully) avoid hitting you.

That said, LED lights are cool.

HighlanderMWC

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 12:59:19 PM »
I don't know the legality of riding without a headlight during the day but I do know the manufacturers are required to have the headlight running. I wouldn't consider riding without the headlights on -- heck I used to run with them on in my car (before automated systems).

As an aside you can ride an Enertia without the headlight on...it looks like it only checks to see if the headlight is on when starting from a dead stop. Of course this would mean having to blip the headlight on every time you stop, but I guess if you're into saving a couple pennies a day. Then again, you'd save more money by going on an extreme diet, both from food costs and less energy required to accelerate.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 01:14:09 PM »
As an aside you can ride an Enertia without the headlight on...it looks like it only checks to see if the headlight is on when starting from a dead stop. Of course this would mean having to blip the headlight on every time you stop, but I guess if you're into saving a couple pennies a day.
You know, I suspected this, but had this deep-seated suspicion that I was damaging something, somewhere, by riding with the light off.  Plus, I bet Brammo can see this when they examine your ride logs.  Probably voids the warranty.

And yeah, save juice, increase your range:go on a diet.  ;D

Brammowannabe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 11:07:31 AM »
I'm already under my BMI by 10 pounds, so I'm already making the bike more efficent.  As for having your light on, is that a legal requierment or a bramo requierment?  I generlay drive with lights on in my car when there is any cloudy rainy foggey etc conditions, but i dont see the benifit in bright sunlihgt.  I really dotn think it increases visibility when it is bright out.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 11:17:04 AM »
As for having your light on, is that a legal requierment or a bramo requierment?
It depends on your state.  Check it out here: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/asp/legisltn/laws.asp

i dont see the benifit in bright sunlihgt.  I really dotn think it increases visibility when it is bright out.

Ever drive through a shadow of a building or a tree?  You're free to do your own research, but I feel pretty comfortable saying that it's likely there are many studies proving that the added visibility of DRLs or headlights make them worth having on all the time.