Author Topic: How to control the level of coolant?  (Read 4188 times)

katacrak

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
How to control the level of coolant?
« on: June 06, 2015, 05:30:41 AM »
The cooling system has water tank? if so where is it? if not, we know that water needs to be added?

willss01

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How to control the level of coolant?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 04:20:28 PM »
As I'm learning in an automotive class right now topping off with water will only reduce your freezing point, so I would start with that especially if its stored in a garage for winter. I too would like to know if anyone has drained or filled the coolant. What was in there originally?
"I'ts not me, it's the world that's crazy!" -Scott Pilgrim

siai47

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 08:51:07 AM »
There is no "water tank" in the Empulse.  There is a standpipe with a radiator cap on it which is the fill point for the system.  The radiator cap is located in the area just below and behind the steering head.  You can access it by removing the belly pan and then the lower front cowl (above the radiator).  The coolant should be a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze.  If you just add water, you will dilute the coolant which lowers the boiling point and reduces the corrosion protection provided by the antifreeze.  For the small amount you need you could by the premix stuff and just add what you need.  Although the service manual doesn't mention it, I would leave the standpipe less than half full to allow for expansion when the coolant gets warm.  Unlike a IC motorcycle, the Empulse coolant doesn't get that hot, therefore less expansion and no need for a overflow tank.  If you have had a leak and lost a lot of coolant, there is a vent plug on the motor that needs to be loosened until all the air is gone and coolant runs out.  This is to prevent an "air lock" from occurring which would prevent the water pump from circulating the coolant.

willss01

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 12:28:37 AM »
Incredible response. Thank you.
You wouldn't know the type (ethylene glycol vs. propylene glycol) would you?
"I'ts not me, it's the world that's crazy!" -Scott Pilgrim

siai47

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 07:40:15 AM »
The manual says the system takes (from dry), one liter of "extended life" 50/50 coolant.  I don't know what type is used but there are brands out there that will mix with any type of coolant, extended life, standard, etc.  If in doubt or unsure of the quality of the coolant in the system, just drain it out and refill it with a liter of the best stuff you can find.  The manual also says to replace the coolant every 18,000 miles (28,900 KM).  If you buy the "straight" stuff, make sure you mix it 50/50 with distilled water. 

If you decide to drain and change, you need to take off the cowlings to access the radiator cap and remove it.  Then take off the inlet hose to the water pump which is located just behind the motor controller on the right side of the bike.  Drain the coolant---you could also flush it with water at this time if you wanted to.  Reconnect the hose and then remove the vent plug.  If you have the Parker motor, the vent plug is located on the left side of the motor near the forward top edge of the plastic end cover that protects the motor wires. Remove the plug with an Allen wrench, add coolant until the coolant starts to come out of the hole and replace the plug.  Add the rest of the coolant, replace the cap and you are done.  Ride check the bike for leaks and make sure the radiator is warm to confirm that there is no air lock in the system.  BTW--if you have the IEC motor the vent is a plug in the motor housing near the top on the left side.  It is removed with an Allen wrench and has a copper crush washer under it.  Same vent procedure as the Parker motor.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 07:46:02 AM by siai47 »

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 02:35:05 PM »
I was curious about checking the coolant on my Empulse because the waterpump sounds louder than I remember it being.  I was going through the 2013-2014 Brammo Empulse owners manual and it mentioned this is the type of coolant you should use:
Peak Global Lifetime 50/50. 50% aqueous ethylene Glycol OAT

I looked through the Victory manual and it mentioned this:
Antifreeze 50/50 Premix

I'm thinking pretty much any automotive coolant is fine.  If I check it I will see what color mine is.  I usually use the green stuff on my cars.

Both manuals mention the coolant filler cap is "behind front cover" and it's on the right side view.  Kinda under the front of the where the big frame meets at the steering stem.
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139

charlielopez

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 12:02:15 PM »
I am starting to experience a bunch of temperature concerns . . . System faults B9 and S231, the temperature sensor on the lower right of display reads T709.1, and there is occasionally an odor that starts after riding a bit, is this related to coolant issues? I recently replaced the drive oil and have never maintained coolant, I really believe this is my issue, any other ideas?

Leander

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2021, 03:29:52 AM »
coolant is only for the motor.

your eroors are a battery error (B9)
and Motorcontroller error (S231 (Sevcon))

Smell could well be a collant leak. how is the motor temp?