Author Topic: Party crasher  (Read 1799 times)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Party crasher
« on: June 20, 2010, 03:56:06 PM »
I read this little notice about the Heart of America Motorcycle Club "Art of the Motorcycle" exhibit at the Kansas City "City Market."  I decided to check it out today, with my kids (in a car, following me), and pulled up to the gate to the market... usually, it's open, but today, it was closed.  "Oh, are you with the motorcycles?" the guard asked.  "Sure am."  He waved me in.

I parked next to a Suzuki, at the end of a long row of motorcycles.  Many of them were vintage bikes - an old Motoguzzi, an 1975 Honda 400, some Harleys, some Ducatis.  Answered about a dozen questions before dismounting, another 50 while standing there, and, after I walked around the show with my kids for an hour or so, another 50 before I could leave.  This could get kind of time-consuming.  Which is just fine with me.

The first question is usually, "how far?"  The second - "how fast?"  "Can you start it up?"  "Does it make any noise?"  "How much does it cost?"  Those are the usual ones. 

"We're an all-inclusive club, as you can see," said one guy, as he motioned to the different styles, ages, and makes of bikes. 
"Would you consider allowing a member with an electric bike?" I asked.  He looked at the bike (for about the 12th time) and furrowed his brow.  I was wondering how "inclusive" they might actually be.
"Sure... membership is $20 for the year."

He then took me over to his 35 year old Honda, started it up, and said, "Now THAT'S what a bike is supposed to sound like."

I don't know that I'll be able to convince him of anything otherwise, but maybe if one or two of them have an open mind, it's a worthwhile investment. 
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Party crasher
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 11:06:52 AM »
The Club finally sent out its newsletter with the event in it.  It even has a picture of and a mention of me:
[smg id=113]
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Kelly Olsen

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Brammo Riders Of Southern California
    • Email
Re: Party crasher
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 04:21:11 PM »
The Club finally sent out its newsletter with the event in it.  It even has a picture of and a mention of me:

There is something about being on a motorcycle and having that helmet on that seems to take years off a person. You just look so different while you are sitting on the bike, and then in the picture below in just your tee-shirt, well....you look not quite the same.

My advice is to stay on the bike at all times when there is a camera around. :D

But great work on getting the Brammo in another publication!