Author Topic: IT LIVES  (Read 1976 times)

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
IT LIVES
« on: June 27, 2015, 11:31:50 PM »
Hello everybody --

Welp, this post marks:
  • the continuation of the teaser in this thread,
  • my third annual Shaming Of You All For Not Showing Up To Refuel, and
  • the celebration of Empulse R #35 returning to life amongst us once again, with barnstorming panache and style

Note that for what follows, I can claim very little credit.  My good friend and housemate Conan is far more experienced in the ways of hacking apart and putting back together motorcycles than I am.  For the most part, my participation in this project was limited to photography, labeling and cataloguing the various zillion disassembled parts into ziploc bags, purchasing and obtaining replacement parts, cleaning 20,000 miles' worth of grime from the original parts, and providing a lot of beer.  And the obstinate will to get this thing back together.

The shape in which it was returned to me.  Note the hilarious mud all over everything -- there was a boatload of additional damage inflicted by the tow company.  Also note that the bike is sort of being held together by a ratchet strap.

Taking things apart.

Taking more things apart.  Here you can start to get a good idea of how in nearly two pieces the frame is.

"Never dropped, always garaged"

And now we go from this . . .

To THIS.  In my mind it would have been a sin to possess a bare frame of something and not powdercoat it some absurd color.  It is hard to capture properly, but it is an idiotically sparkly pearl white.

Putting the batteries back in.

With the OEM black swingarm and subframe back on, I think the contrast with the white frame is quite striking!

I may or may not have cackled like a mad scientist when it actually turned on for the first time in reassembled (reanimated?) form.

AND THE PAYOFF.  Also note that because I'm probably not going to be commuting on it anymore (see my previous posts re: ABS), figured I'd set it up for more track-ish duty.  So a set of clip-ons and some hilarious rearsets hewn from some giant blocks of aluminum.  Thought about getting those Woodcraft ones, but they're way too expensive, and I wanted to keep the kickstand.

PAYOFF PART II: Conan had a set of Honda RC211V replica track fairings sitting around, so some hacksaw butchery later . . . we have a faired Empulse R!  This was taken yesterday, at Laguna Seca, where I was the only Empulse customer to show up.  In fact I was one of only two Brammos there -- the Brammo team proper was apparently spread apart at Pikes Peak and/or still in Europe, so the entire Brammo race team this time around was the very famous and exotic Brian, riding his personal project Empulse TTX.  There was an absolute sea of Zeros (at least a dozen of them), and a totally disappointing lack of any ridiculous home-built bike contraptions this year.

And to thank my buddy for his intrepid help with this over the last few months, I decided it would be only appropriate for him to be the one to take it out and put it through its paces at Refuel -- and plus he'd never ridden Laguna before, so was even more excited about it.  I did miss actually participating, but it was fun to watch, and totally glorious to see the bike reborn and getting thrown around the track.  He ended up 5th overall with a 1:59 or so -- not bad for a first outing!  For reference: I was a 2:10, and Shelina on the TTX was about a 1:51.  In fact . . . now that I look at the times from the past couple years, I am pretty sure that's the fastest an Empulse R has gone around that track.

And there it is.  The bike has returned to life, albeit still in a sort of registration limbo.  I have a salvage title, but still need to get it re-certified as road legal.  The RC211V fairings actually do have an upper portion with a headlight kit, so perhaps we might see a road-going faired Empulse?  I have ridden it, and the clip-ons and rearsets are surprisingly comfortable.

Now Polaris just needs to get off their ass and sell me a new ABS model, and I will be the ultimate electric motorcycling gentleman of leisure, with an Empulse for the track and an Empulse for the street.

Nonetheless . . . I am back!!

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: IT LIVES
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 11:59:04 PM »
Great, heart-warming post of a glorious rising from the ashes!

Man, that frame took a SERIOUS hit! And you guys did a fabulous job of rebuilding the whole thing.

What I want to know, was Brian suitably impressed?

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 02:08:32 AM »
Fantastic job! Great result!
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs
shortened chain tensioner bolts

Top Case

RolfC

• Enciter
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 07:07:40 AM »
Nice post!! Great pictures and an even beter story. Like a phoenix from the ashes. I like the new colour of the frame. 
2014 Brammo Empulse-R

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 08:15:20 AM »
Definitely a great story! You should definitely put some Phoenix or Firebird decals on it!
This one is cool
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/270/d/7/skyheld_phoenix_seal_by_koloszrodos-d6o40tb.png
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 08:42:40 AM by Virtually Yours »
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

vtbrammorider

• Empulsive R2-D2
  • Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 04:37:53 PM »
Awesome stuff!  Providing beer is a crucial part in any rebuild process.

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
IT LIVES
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 04:54:05 PM »
Awesome job, and great to see the bike in good use.
We need as many of these in use as possible!
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 12:40:55 PM »
You and Conan are heroes!  I'm kind of amazed that a "shade tree mechanic" can undertake a project like that on an Empulse. 

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 03:28:10 PM »
Thanks guys!   :D 

It was surprisingly easier than we thought it would be.  The unfamiliarity of the tech makes it seem more complex, but compared to an ICE anything, it's actually much much simpler to take apart and put back together.  Batteries, motor/transmission, motor controller, charger, and a lot of wiring.  Basically just a giant Lego set.

In fact we pretty much only had one 'whoops' during the entire reassembly process: we forgot to plug back in one of the cables in the wiring harness to the charging system, so the dash wasn't reporting the rate of charge while plugged in to the EVSE.  Only took about 5 minutes to figure it out and find the cable.

The hardest part of the whole thing was probably the 'gantry' (our made-up name) structure on top of the batteries directly underneath the tank shroud.  It contains a bunch of wires going to the charging port, and the various fuses.  The order in which you have to remove/insert things is sort of insane, in a ship-in-a-bottle bending physics sort of way (i.e. disassemble the fuse boxes in order to extract them through a tiny gap and then reassemble them on the other side).

Other than that, given the zillion pictures we took of the disassembly, it was pretty straightforward putting everything back together!

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 03:31:38 PM »

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 06:09:12 PM »
Lookin' good! Was that the sound of something scraping at 2:28?

Knowing you Jeff, I'd expect no less than your posting a 6-hour video series on YouTube of the take down and reassembly of the Empulse!

nunux59

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 09:37:12 AM »
Nice !

Could you tell us what was the bike for which the fairing was intended originally? CBR1000RR? CBR600RR? NC30 (VFR400RR)? RC30 (VFR750RR) ?

I am really interested to convert mine to road faired Empulse R!

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 10:28:08 AM »
Nice !

Could you tell us what was the bike for which the fairing was intended originally? CBR1000RR? CBR600RR? NC30 (VFR400RR)? RC30 (VFR750RR) ?

I am really interested to convert mine to road faired Empulse R!

Conan had a set of Honda RC211V replica track fairings sitting around
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 12:15:01 PM »
Haha well to be fair, there are indeed RC211V fairings for a lot of bikes.

It is a Tyga kit -- from what I understand it was originally intended for an RVF400 / NC35 (haha which as far as I know was never even sold in the US . . . and yet we had one in the garage awhile back anyways).  If I had to guess, I'd say it is probably this one here:

http://tyga-performance.com/site/product_info.php?cPath=72_1036_84_157_513&products_id=1198

A consideration before you drop a chunk of change, though: the belly pan pretty much does not fit at all.  Unlike a gasbike, which tapers down as you get lower on the body, the Empulse has a big chunky motor controller hanging out at the bottom-most point of the bike.  We tried and tried, but had to literally cut the belly pan in half, at the bottom.  I can take some more detailed pictures of the carnage later if you like, but you can see the resulting effect here:

Note how the motor controller is just hilariously hanging down there.

While the setup is fine for track use . . . if I'm going to be streeting the thing I am probably going to investigate making a plank of fiberglass to sort of stick to the bottom somehow, as I wouldn't want the motor controller to be totally unshielded from rocks and grime and the rest of all the miscellaneous hazards one tends to find on roads.

So nunux -- I do not want to disavow you of your dream here: the fairing is nearly the perfect size.  The RVF400 is a relatively small bike, as is the Empulse.  However, be aware of the inherent shape incompatibility issues of the belly pan!

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 01:37:16 PM »
Lookin' good! Was that the sound of something scraping at 2:28?

Knowing you Jeff, I'd expect no less than your posting a 6-hour video series on YouTube of the take down and reassembly of the Empulse!

Also haha probably knee pucks?  Without the rearsets, it would probably be pegs -- in fact one of the funniest parts of getting to actually watching Refuel, rather than participating, was getting to see and hear the constant scraping of pegs around the corners.  Very little noise, other than the angry metallic grinding.

And yeah, I initially had a grand vision of taking Gopro video of the entire process.  Haha when the process turned out to be . . . . a couple months or so, that sort of went out of the window.

I do want to make a dramatic reveal video if and when it makes its triumphant return to full street functionality.  The video will probably involve lasers and fog.