Author Topic: System Fault B40  (Read 2968 times)

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
System Fault B40
« on: July 04, 2015, 01:30:13 PM »

Saw "System Fault B40" (manual: "BMS Back in Idle Mode") a couple of times this past week after turning on the key and pressing the starter button to activate the throttle.  Once I also saw "System Fault S65" (manual: "Motor Controller -- Sequence Fault (usually, throttle was not closed when controller powered on)").

The S65 I can understand as the hand is resting on the throttle while pressing the starter button.

My daily commute is 34 miles and I recharge to full overnight, so the batteries aren't getting stressed out and I'm sure 5-6 hours of sitting at full charge every day gives the batteries every opportunity to balance.

This being July 4th weekend, and my dealership limping along after suffering a fire, I doubt that I can get this serviced right away.  How much should I be concerned about B40 appearing twice in one week?

I see that someone else here has encountered B40, but I didn't see the other two error codes mentioned at http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=2986.msg21956.
2013 ICON Brammo EBoz Spec 32 (#6)
2012 Current Motor Super Scooter
2007 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
Re: System Fault B40
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 03:00:54 AM »
Getting a lot of eyes on this topic, but it appears few have seen this problem or know what to do about it.  I'll check with my dealership.

It's been a year and over 4,200 miles of fun on this bike.  I'm looking forward to its second anniversary.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 09:43:07 AM »
I'd definitely ask your dealer to look it up.

My approach to fault codes (not necessarily recommended!) is:

If it runs, run it.
If it doesn't run, restart it to see if it will then run.
If it doesn't run after restarting, call the dealer.

If the dealer doesn't know, email Adam.

26K miles and still running!

That said, I don't think my bike has ever thrown a B40 at me. Probably something about the battery and worth checking out...

tkthompson

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 12:24:30 PM »
My bike has been throwing out the B40 error as well. As long as I  turn the key off and then back on it goes away. Mine started doing this after the last firmware upgrade. It seems to happen about 1/3 of the time. I have about 9500 miles on the bike.

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 01:10:16 PM »
Update:  It's been a week and over 100 miles and 4 commutes now since the B40 with no noticeable problems.  I contacted my local dealership and have sent them the relevant log files from the USB drive under the seat.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 09:24:28 PM »
Good news on still running...

If you learn the meaning of the error code, you may want to add it to the wiki page that is tracking codes:

http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Empulse_Error_Codes

katacrak

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 10:35:28 AM »
My bike has been throwing out the B40 error as well. As long as I  turn the key off and then back on it goes away. Mine started doing this after the last firmware upgrade. It seems to happen about 1/3 of the time. I have about 9500 miles on the bike.

Today it has happened to me. I have done the same. the bike has the new firmware and 6700 kms.

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
System Fault B40
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 10:50:40 AM »
I have seen it too, no noticeable effect:
https://flic.kr/p/vJbqs2
Once you go EV, gas is history!

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 09:32:10 AM »
The B40 error code is back.  Yesterday, I had to turn the bike off again twice instead of once to clear the error message.  No problems during the commute, though.  This thread started in summer.  It's back in summer.  Maybe heat or humidity related?  Seattle is in the 70s-80s these days, with humidity around 80%.  The bike is garaged overnight and at work, so it is not kept at extreme temperatures.

Oh well, it still rides well.  I don't demand much of it beyond what gets me away from awkward situations in traffic.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 02:42:44 PM »
I don't demand much of it beyond what gets me away from awkward situations in traffic.

+1, and, man, does it ever get us away quick! Best "streetfighter" I've ever owned.