Author Topic: messy chain, how to clean excess drips  (Read 994 times)

Sabinn

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
messy chain, how to clean excess drips
« on: July 14, 2015, 12:38:40 AM »
I oiled my chain for the first time. I clearly over-did it. The frame looks perpetually wet and is now collecting dirt, the rear tire is shiny on one side. My bad.

What product can I use to wipe down and clean the sticky frame and tire?

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
Re: messy chain, how to clean excess drips
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 01:44:30 AM »
When this happened to me, I used soap and water.  The bike needed a wash anyway.
2013 ICON Brammo EBoz Spec 32 (#6)
2012 Current Motor Super Scooter
2007 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 04:07:21 AM »
I chainoiler from the start, it uses basic engine oil, so cleaning can be done with water and soap.

Spray on lubricant is way more sticky and harder to remove, but I remember diesel or lamp-oil will work.
take care on the tyre tho, diesel might make it slippery so clean that again with water and soap.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 08:11:09 AM by JeffK »
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs
shortened chain tensioner bolts

Top Case

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 09:38:58 AM »
My favorite product for cleaning chain gorp off of wheels and plastic and metal parts is Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish.  The same product is marketed by Liquid Performance and sold in many motorcycle accessory shops.  I have been using it for years and it cuts through chain oil, cleans the surface and leaves a waxy coating on the material.  For the really nasty stuff, you can use disposable painter's wipes as sold in paint stores and follow up with a coat of wax.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 01:24:15 PM »
There's lots of chain cleaners on the market and any of them should do the job. Dupont makes one in the U.S. and Motorex in Switzerland, as well as most of the chain lube companies: Motul, BelRay, Maxima etc.

On the body work, rims, and especially the tire, I would follow the advice above and finish up with a detergent/water cleaning. You could also go cheap with WD-40, even kerosene, followed by soap and water.

If you're careful to stay away from bearing interfaces and electronics, you could even use one of those high-pressure wand car wash devices for quick and easy. But that's overkill IMHO.

I'm now firmly in the chain-oiler camp after riding for a year with the Tutoro device which, when adjusted correctly, leaves the chain just moist, not picking up gunk. Cleaning the chain now consists of merely wiping with with a dry cloth. After riding in the rain, I'll wipe it down after spraying it with WD-40, but it's probably not necessary. Every once in a while, when I wash the bike, I'll spray some degreaser on the rim and wipe the fine build-up of oil spray, or just use detergent and water, depending on my mood.  ::)

Sabinn

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 07:24:32 PM »
I put in an order for the pro-oiler with gps unit a little while ago, waiting for it to arrive.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I'll get to work cleaning up the frame now :)

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 06:42:42 AM »
When I lube the chain I use WD-40 to clean the chain and then use a air compressor to blow out the dirt and excess oil. I then come back and repeat with the proper chain lube and blow off the excess oil again. I wrap the chain with paper towels leaving the part I'm working on open so I don't get it on the ground and make a mess. I then take some more paper towels and squeeze them around the chain to absorb the excess. Once that is done I wash the rim with a old dish sponge that is kinda furry that doesn't scratch, soap and water. Then wipe ithe rim down with WD-40.
I've had a problem of the excess lube getting on the rear brake and it wasn't good. After I started blowing off the excess oil I don't have that problem and very little gets on the rim. Just wipe it back down with WD-40. The WD-40 also makes it look great and the shine last for a week or so.
Actually Mine,
Empluse R